Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything so forgive me if this has been talked about before. I'm wondering if anyone has hauled their bike in the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. I measured and the back tire would be about middle way of the tailgate. Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work would be appreciated. I have a trailer and have hauled the bike on it but just wondering about the truck bed. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I've never hauled a Wing, so I can't give you first hand experience. I don't think the weight will be a problem, as long as the tailgate can handle it. The biggest issue I see is getting the Wing onto the truck bed. I know they make ramps, but you better be sure your aim is good and you can stop because you don't have much wiggle room. I would think the trailer would be a safer bet for hauling a Wing. JMHO... Good luck..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Don't let any Harley riders see a Gold Wing in thae back of a pick-up :eek:

·
Premium Member
414 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hi Rainbow,
I have the same question. Just fixed my silverado to haul my shadow 1100 and wasn't expecting to trade bikes. Now sitting here with a wing. I am looking at 200 more lbs.
One thing for sure, check your cables to the tailgate and make sure they are in good condition as well as the brackets and screws at the other end. I am going to add another cable or strap on each end of the tailgate. I agree with the others, its the loading and unloading that is risky. I loaded my new wing on a trailer (18" high) and it was tedious. good luck, I will be interested in how you do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
I had no problems at all with hauling my 1200 in the back of my long bed, 1/2 ton 1970 Chev. fit just fine. Went for 360 miles with it. We used a wide ramp loading it and unloaded it with just two people and a narrow ramp!

And yes, I was embarrassed by having to haul a GW, but I had just purchased it and wanted to do maintenance on it before riding any distance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before it was retired, our old '85 chevy hauled a lot of them. If you are not sure of the tailgate strength, lay a 2x10 board across it sideways and another 2x10 board the length of the bike and on top of the rear cross board. Prolly a good idea to bolt the 2 together in case the tailgate supports do fail. Loading, find a high spot for the bike or a low spot for the truck to keep the ramp level as possable to load. Always have two people around during loading just in case...

----- Gimpster -----

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. We have a second house 4 hours north of where we live and when our boy goes with us, we have to go in the truck instead of the bike. I was just wondering about hauling it with me so I can ride when we get there. I have a deep ditch at both places so loading and unloading wouldn't be a problem because the tailgate is right at ground level. I would never try to ride it up a ramp.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I saw a ramp somewhere that you load the bike on the ground and then the ramp pulls up on top of the truck. Make sure the ramp fits the truck of course and it sits on the new ramp that gives extra strength to tailgate.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
a 1200 wing has a shorter wheelbase, overall legnth and less weight than a 1500 wing

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
a 1200 wing has a shorter wheelbase, overall legnth and less weight than a 1500 wing

He never actually stated what size bike he has. Just giving my input. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my GL1500 last year it was sort of an impulse buy and I was 1300 miles from home, luckily I had driven my pickup for that trip. I looked at putting the bike in the back of the truck, but that's a lot of weight and it's 3 feet off the ground. Plus I was a bit worried about going that far with the rear wheel riding on the tailgate. My plan was to put a 2x8 or 2x10 the length of the bike to support the weight and hope for the best. I finally decided to rent a trailer, U-Haul has one that is just right for the job, and it was the right decision. If I was going to have to move it on a regular basis, I would buy or build a trailer of some kind to haul it on. A trailer is a pain to store and deal with, but the lower load height and ease of loading and unloading makes it a lot nicer and safer if you're doing it by yourself.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
trailering the wing

I went to look at my bike alone in my Ranger Pickup. I rented a U-haul motorcycle trailer for $14.95 a day.... one day I drove 300 miles...bought the bike, loaded it up and drove home 300 miles.

Also, U-haul offered an $8 per day insurance policy with a $5,000 contents protection. For $24.00, I had a trailer with a built in ramp and tie down points on the floor of the trailer. It also had a front wheel chock that was large enough for the Wing.

It fit with the ramp being the back gate and the bike just fit on it. I stopped every 50 miles for awhile and checked my straps and tie downs. It all went without any problems. It rolled right off when I got home. Good to go.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've hauled my bikes and lots of others in pickups. For short box trucks I put a 3/4" sheet of plywood on the bed to help disperse the weight and use ratchets, soft loops and canyondancer ties. I did look in the Goldbook at their tie-down suggestions and I had never used the frame members along with the guard bars (oops) I used the lower triple clamp for faired bikes as well as the canyon dancer for stability. As for loading and unloading, there is no substitute for an assistant. When backing down a ramp, use the clutch as a brake allowing both feet on the ground; the front brake will generally just skid (yes GL brakes are linked so they're less prone to skids).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I "heard of a guy" who was riding his smallish dirt bike into the bed of a truck when the ramp gave way. Since no one was around to see the mayhem for as long as this guy was knocked out, did it make a sound? <g> Point is, that's a lot of bike to have 3 feet off the ground with no support on each side. Riding it on is just plain dangerous. The remarks are valid about the tailgate supports, mostly cables nowadays. Not a week goes by without selling a set or two of them. The remark about the trailer being hard to store: I have 2 closed trailers. The bikes (and other toys) are stored in them. No problem!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bike in Truck

I have a Dodge Ram 1500. My 1800 rides great in the back of the truck.

I did a search and didn't find anything so forgive me if this has been talked about before. I'm wondering if anyone has hauled their bike in the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. I measured and the back tire would be about middle way of the tailgate. Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work would be appreciated. I have a trailer and have hauled the bike on it but just wondering about the truck bed. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My friend and I were riding with our wives when we spotted an older man struggling with his '08 Wing. He was trying to get it back on the bed of his truck and he was half way there. He had one of those fancy gizmos that wenches the bike up the bed of the pick-up. Well, the track bent when he had it half way and his bike was stuck. After the two of us, and three other men tried muscling it up, we eventually gave up and left. It taught me a lesson about the fancy gizmo that wenches the bike up. The lesson is; it doesn't always work. He'd have been better off just driving up to a slope thats higher up, about three or four feet high and just rolling it onto the bed instead.

The lesson is always a better one when someone else shows you through there mistake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchused a power ramp made by Rampage? to haul my Venture in my Silverado short bed. The ramp bolts in the bed with tail gate off. I could load my Venture in minutes with no fear of dropping bike and then hook up to my 30 foot RV so I could take the bike and the camper with me. I use a chain fall in the garage to lift the ramp out of truck when not in use. It is more expensive than aluminm ramps but a whole lot safer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts