Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i am trading my 1985 limited edition wing for a yamaha 550 this week. The wing was getting too heavy for me and my days of all day trips are over. I just needed a lighter bike that i could scoot around town with and maybe make half day trips. I owned a virago 750 years ago and liked the way it cornered and the low center of gravity. I think i am going to be more comfortable with this bike seeing i can pick it up by myself. Thanks for all your information and help on this site. i will drop back in once and awhile to see how things are going.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In additon to my GW I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD.

For any smaller bike, I would suggest having your seat modified and not buying a corbin or mustang, even if available, your getting more seat time with less pain in the bottom time.

I got mine done for $140 plus shipping to and from at http://www.meancitycycles.com/ . They did the work on time and it was far cheaper than any other premade seat. Best of all it was a hugh improvement. I doubled my riding time with this one upgrade on my Kawasaki 500. Best and next upgrade was a drivers backrest which I got at protac.net. It cost about the same but less for shipping.

It rides like it should have. It seems no bike maker now makes a small bike that is designed to be comfortable for more than a hour at best. Mine was only ok to about 30 min or so.

Your reason for change make sense to me so good luck and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
next year i am going to start working on my '79 cb750k so if when my knees get too bad and the wings are too heavy it will become my daily ride. sorry to hear you had to give up your wing but you are still on the road

·
Registered
60 Posts
I understand because I may have to do the same. I live out in the country and if I drop mine[which I have] I have to call a friend to come help. Have a leg problem and will not get better so it's go to a trike or smaller bike. I don't know how I could stand it without a wing but will have to try. Good Luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sorry you had to trade your Wing, but your not alone in that boat. As we age (I didn't say get old....) a big bike like a Wing can be a problem for some. I've thought about getting a test ride on a Burgman 400/650 to see if works for me. If it does I think when my Wing days are done that's the way I'll go. Enjoy your new bike and keep riding...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Guys, you're starting to scare me. I've got a screwed back from packing quarters of beef for 27 years, two bum knees from 25 years between the hockey pipes, and a fubar ankle thanks to a snowmobile screw-up. It used to be that the Wing was the quintessential "old uy" bike, and now we're talking about getting too old to ride them. I'm still stubborn enough to say I refuse to give up, but from my 'war wounds' it is likely to happen anyway. Just better not be too soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm still stubborn enough to say I refuse to give up, but from my 'war wounds' it is likely to happen anyway. Just better not be too soon.
I absolutely agree. But some things (like death and taxes) are inevitable. I don't see it in my future for a while, but just being realistic. I plan to keep riding as long as I can.. Ride safe....

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
trike the wing and ride my '79 750k daily

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I think I also would Trike the Wing,Then your feet will not half to touch ground till you are ready to get off,My Wife and I already said this is what we will do,But I still have a lot of time I am only 48 lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think I also would Trike the Wing,Then your feet will not half to touch ground till you are ready to get off,My Wife and I already said this is what we will do,But I still have a lot of time I am only 48 lol
The time we have to ride is not really determined by age but other factors. I'm 49 and have already had back surgury and per the Dr due for more in the next year or so.

My point is only, you just never know how things may go in life.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I triked my wing two months ago and took it on a 2700 trip. Fantastic, you just have to remember you have two and a half feet of motocycle on each side of you. You have to be carefull how close you get to ATMs, drive throughs and sides of street/road lanes.

I also have a 750 Shadow to scoot around town with.....love em both

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well I will join the trike club when the time comes but for now pain is my friend and the Wing is my sanity!!!!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Well I will join the trike club when the time comes but for now pain is my friend and the Wing is my sanity!!!!
Aman!! That is so true,Live life to the fullest. Because you do not know what tomorrow will bring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After forty years of construction work,its my shoulders and hips that bother me.Longer legs would be helpful too.When I was out at wingding,a fellow had a wing with a trailer,and what appeared to be "training wheels" on the back of his wing,cause' he was getting too old to balance the weight of the wing.The auxillary wheels had a shroud over them that he said was designed after a cessna airplane wheel.I don't know what it cost,but he said he saved $6k over the price of a new trike.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
hi 2 wheel, those Burgmanns run really well. 400 for town and state hiway or 650 as cross country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts