Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean the one you pull behind your bike but the one you put your bike onto. I know it sounds like an odd question from a Goldwinger. My wife likes to ride with me but just not too much. I would love to go on trips with her but she can't handle several hours riding on the back. She would rather pull the bike (for example to the mountains 7 hours away) and then take several shorter day trips.

I am hoping there is an obvious choice in trailer but I am sure there isn't. It would need to be easy to operate, well made and stable on the highway.

Thanks for any suggestions. CD

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have two different trailers one is an open trailer can haul one goldwing, and an enclosed larger trailer that can carry two wings and a cruiser . Also can haul equipment if I want. I really prefer the enclosed keeps your bike and stuff out of the weather and out of site, and you can lock it up. I started shopping and compared trailers and models, etc. Thing to think about is what do you have to pull a trailer with, the enclosed one I have is heavy and you need a good suv or pickup it is larger than I really needed but did not want to be jamming bikes in on top of each other.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I have used a 6x10 enclosed and a 6x10 open and hauled my bike in both. The enclosed is nice like Johnnie said, as such out of sight is out of mind, but that goes for you pulling it too. You can't check your straps unless you open the back door and check on the bike. In the mean time, it could have been laying on its side for awhile. Don't ask how I know this.

Tip: Here in Seattle, Uhaul rents motorcycle trailers for $15 a day and enclosed 5x8 for $20 a day. If storage is an issue, perhaps renting one from time to time might be a cheaper solution than owning one. That is how I do it these days. The costs of licensing in Washington is $30 a year, which is the cost of a two day rental.

I do have a pull behind cargo trailer that I use for moto-camping, but that is a different question.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I have put bikes on open trailers, my goldwing rode twice in my Silverado.
We did this so we could go camping but use a bike for transportation while on vacation.

I have been looking for an enclosed trailer. Security and beingout of the weather is an obvious benefit. Nothing wrong with an open one-it would be outside if you were riding. No more risk of stealing it on a trailer as it sitting on the ground.

I don't think either is a bad choice from a pulling standpoint. It isn't exceptionally heavy and most any type should pull fine. Braking is the issue if you are new to pulling a trailer and it just means keeping the speed in check and giving yourself some extra room.

I might suggest another option before the purchase. If this is infrequent, it might make sense to rent an enclosed trailer. I would try it to see if you like it. Then, you can determine if it makes sense to buy, rent or do something else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a ramp door and a side door. It's perfect for what you discribed, not too heavy, not too big, pulls effortlessly. We use the MRS Trailblazer that has the straight 6. The trailer weighs about 1500 so with the Wing and stuff we're at about 2500 total.
The best thing about having the trailer is you can "garage" the Wing at night.

Good Luck,

Jim

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
One last comment on this. The bike sitting on an unlocked trailer is gift wrapped for the bike thief. It is much easier to steal it on the trailer than sitting on the ground.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't mean the one you pull behind your bike but the one you put your bike onto. I know it sounds like an odd question from a Goldwinger. My wife likes to ride with me but just not too much. I would love to go on trips with her but she can't handle several hours riding on the back. She would rather pull the bike (for example to the mountains 7 hours away) and then take several shorter day trips.

I am hoping there is an obvious choice in trailer but I am sure there isn't. It would need to be easy to operate, well made and stable on the highway.

Thanks for any suggestions. CD
I was in the same boat, so I got a 6x12 enclosed trailer with pull down back ramp. Use it to haul a Harley tourer and a maxi-scooter. Also use to to haul furniture and the like. Since I bought a GW trike-like, my wife is now willing to ride on the back. I bought a flatbed trailer to tow-behind the GW, but it resides in the 6x12 trailer when not in use. I opted for an enclosed, lockable trailer so I could leave the bikes in there like a mini-garage when we vacation with the bikes; also keeps prying eyes away.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Trailers

Renting sounds pretty good. I could of rented for a long time for what I have in mine. But then again I have the lock-downs for the front wheels when you drive in and tie downs where I think I need them. Hate trailering anything to be honest with you never know what will happen. My enclosed trailer has a small side door I can open and check things out without having to open the large rear door Lots of diffrent shapes and styles, I liked the enclosed cargo trailer because I can us it for diffrent things and you get a lot more for your money over a motorcycle trailer only model. Guess it goes to what you want and what you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I converted our old 2 horse angle haul trailer to haul the wing. Has a side door and a large door in the rear with a fold down ramp. Also would recommend something like the Condor front wheel chock, to secure the bike in the trailer.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Just a different way of solving a problem for me is. I ride hard and cover the miles quickly and my wife flies there and then we do the interesting bits together. The gas you saves goes towards the flight also I would save a bit by myself by staying in a pub. Her idea is if we ride we stay in good motels. I don't know if that would be an option. Eric

·
Registered
168 Posts
I towed my wing last month for the first time. It broke my heart, but the wife and my dogs were going to our cabin in Andrews NC for the same amount of time. Since it is hard to take 2-80 pound dogs on a wing...So... I like the utility trailer I have, because I like to be able to see it. If a strap gets loose, or something, I can see it. I also take the ramp off, and lay it down behind the bike. That ramp sticking up in the air costs 2-3 mile a gallon at freeway speeds. Better mileage, and less strain on the towing vehicle.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've had a tow-behind bike trailer for years, used it to haul my bike into places for service at times and for assisitng guys with breakdowns etc. Even lent it to a buddy to haul his bike from here to Kenora On and back. It's a home-made that a welder pal and I made with unsprung axel on 12" wheels. Tubular framework and 3/4 plywood deck. only 6" off the pavement so loading and unloading is super easy. Even though it is a 'rigid' frame, the bikes always rode great. Tubular chock for the front wheel and loop tie-down points at the corners for the ratchets. Also have hauled my bikes in the patio hauler when the missus wants to avoid the elements and not do the tent thing (Gawd she's spoiled) which is always for the last 25 years:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Just a different way of solving a problem for me is. I ride hard and cover the miles quickly and my wife flies there and then we do the interesting bits together. The gas you saves goes towards the flight also I would save a bit by myself by staying in a pub. Her idea is if we ride we stay in good motels. I don't know if that would be an option. Eric
For a really long trip this is what my wife and I will probably do. She knows I like to get there on the bike and I can pick her up at an airport. We are talking about this for a trip to Nova Scotia, 2000 miles from the house.

Um, I gotta ask about the pub. They have places to stay down under or are you sleeping under the table? I like a good beer but they make me leave eventually.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
For a really long trip this is what my wife and I will probably do. She knows I like to get there on the bike and I can pick her up at an airport. We are talking about this for a trip to Nova Scotia, 2000 miles from the house.

Um, I gotta ask about the pub. They have places to stay down under or are you sleeping under the table? I like a good beer but they make me leave eventually.
Sleeping under the table. There are 12 step programs for that.

Pubs = Guest Houses (In Germany) Guest Houses were bars/restaurants to serve the guests renting the rooms up above. Of course the locals enjoyed the fair too.

BACK TO OUR PREVIOUS PROGRAMMING....

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Pubs = Guest Houses (In Germany) Guest Houses were bars/restaurants to serve the guests renting the rooms up above. Of course the locals enjoyed the fair too.

BACK TO OUR PREVIOUS PROGRAMMING....
I was guessing that but couldn't resist the gig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts