Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mint 92 Interstate that I love. Today, I had a chance to ride a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic on a 250 mile ride thru the hills around Smith Lake AL . Always wanted a Harley, I thought, but really after today's ride, I guess it would be OK to have one to ride around town, or to Bike Night. But I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

First thing I noticed in the first minute, was that it felt like a Toy! I mean, the quality seemed good, and fit and finish was good, but it felt so much smaller from the get go. Sorta like, when you was a kid, and rode a XL100, and got on your kid brother's XL70.

Took about a hundred and fifty miles to get somewhat use to all that shaking, but by the time we made it back home, I was seeing a little bit of enjoyment from the bike. Especially in town, and sitting still at traffic lights listening to that cool idle. Another thing that took some getting use to was that the bike had a "Quicker" Roll Rate. I'm a pilot, and really don't know what else to call it, but what I'm talking about, is when you start into a tight curve at about 65-70, I was tending to cross over the center line without really wanting to. I figured it might be because the Harley ride height was lower, but I finally got it dialed in, and was able to keep up ok.

The Harley had plenty of torque, but it just was not in any way fun to apply. There comes all that "Shaking" again! One thing for sure though, the Harley's radio was way better than the one on my Wing.

My real opinion at the end of the ride, was that "If I had to ride the bike, as my only bike........I would NOT trade the 1992 Goldwing for the 2010 Ultra Classic "Straight Up"! If I had the option to sell the Harley, of course I would trade!

Both bikes are fun in their own way, just not in the same league.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Roger that, Piper. I'll be in Arizona again on a Harley Ultra Limited for three or four days and I miss my Wing. It does have a nice solid feel to it and the new 103 in. engine made the 6th gear more versatile. Funny you should mention the " toy " feeling. It's Harley's biggest bike! I miss my big dashboard and console. I like pushing the buttons and seeing the display screen change. What's the air temp. ? Let me push the button and see. Would I trade ? No. Would I rent? Always do.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
the shorter wheelbase and overall legnth of the harley is why it has the " quick roll rate". a good friend of mine ride an older ultra, he was at my house so i parked my 1500 wing next to his ultra. the wing was taller and longer than his ultra

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
The majority of Goldwing owner's will have a small touch of Harley envy, but enjoy their motorcycle enough that they won't cross over.

The majority of Harley owner's will have a touch of Goldwing intrigue, but due to their branding loyalty, won't cross over. What would they do with all of that branded clothing?

Economics aside, it would be best to have one of each. For a small minority of both Harley and Wing owner's this is possible.

I have taken the route of many other wing owners in that I have a Maxi Scooter for in town and the Wing for eating up the miles on the highway. I believe I have all of my bases covered for the majority of my motorcycling needs..... until one of my Harley friends drops by and we go for a ride.

I will admit it, economics aside, I would like to have one as the third motorcycle in the garage. The opportunity costs of that third motorcycle is too high, as I wouldn't give up my Silverwing or Goldwing for a Harley.

Ever see a pirate ride a scooter?

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i don't have harley envy. i have a gl1200a for in town and a gl1500se for eating up highway miles. ofcorse the gl1200 does a darn good job of eating up highway miles too :)

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
After owning two of them, I have no 'Harley envy" at all. My HD riding buds do have a certain amount of "Wing envy" though. They just refuse to admit it.;) Too quiet, too smooth, no personality, all the same looking are common comments. Like every Ultra doesn't look very much like the others!:p And when out on the road, they always have to prove something by twisting the throttle to the stop and making as much noise as possible. Funny, but at the end of the ride, they're the ones complaining about numb butt and leg/back aches. Yeesh, if they ever put in a 13 hour day in the saddle they'd think they were horse whipped. They do however admit that the maintenance woes are horendous. Some of them do top end rebuilds as often as I change tires. Might have something to do with the way they constantly ride the pi$$ out of their paint shakers to 'outperform' :rolleyes:my Wing.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Eaglerider was charging about $180 a day when I looked into it a couple years ago. Not cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
My cousin is all fired up about buying a Harley Ultra Classic. I have tried to get him to ride the Wing.....Just Once and He refuses!!!
He says "All Rally's or events welcome Harley's....But not all welcome Wings". :rolleyes:
I SAY "If I'm not welcomed because I ride a Wing, I don't want to be there."
Just the way I see it...:)

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Never give them much thought. I know they exist & even rented a Tri Glide once-Only Once. It was Horrible!!!

I equate them to Chrysler.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Taking your Harley out for a drive down here means loading it on a trailer and hauling it all over the place. Trailers with 2 or 3 Hardleys on 'em are thick as fleas on a junk yard dog round here. One guy told me he gets 70 miles per gallon and I said "Yep, I guess so. Especially since the 100 mile trip on your Hog consisted of firing it up to load it and then to unload it." He didn't think it was funny but I sure did. His skull tattoo was starting to grimace as I drove off.:D

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I tried them in Key Largo a couple years ago, that's where I got the $180 from. No Goldwings at all, although they showed them as available on the website; only Roadkings and Ultras there then. Needed a car anyway as there were four of us so I passed on the bike. They did have a VTX though. Rental shop turned out to be a 10minute walk from where we stayed, can't say I'd recommend it either.:(
Gotta say one thing about the riders that come up to our annual rally here. Last year was the wettest week in our history, 7 inches of rain from Wednesday night to Sunday morning. And we had lots of guys show up on their bikes inspite of the weather. Mostly HD riders (Hawg Flatts, duh) and while they were soaked and shivering like dogs crapping razor blades, they were a game bunch of rally goers. No posers there I'll tell ya!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2006 Ultra, in fact the my first bike after a 28 yr. absence of riding. Kept it from 2008 till this past May, sold it due to two neck operations, really liked it. Missed riding and started looking for smaller bikes, the wife suggested a trike. The beginning of June bought the bike I always wanted, a '97 Goldwing SE and added a Voyager kit. Now I love the Wing even more than the Ultra, and have the best of both worlds, 2 wheels or 4

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Have a neighbor with an Ultra Classic and hit a dog and managed to keep it up but cracked the frame.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I went to see my dentist today. I had my Route 66 hat on my head and so he asked me.... do you ride motorcycle. I said ya, I ride a Goldwing. He said "I have a Harley Ultra Classic with emphasis on it." I told him that I put 15,000 miles on my Goldwing last year. He said, "Hell, I have had my bike 5 years and I don't have a 1,000 miles on it yet." I said, "It's like new then." He said, "Yep"

Show your HD buddies this:

·
Registered
58 Posts
He says "All Rally's or events welcome Harley's....But not all welcome Wings". :rolleyes:
I SAY "If I'm not welcomed because I ride a Wing, I don't want to be there."
Just the way I see it...:)
That has always irked me...the self righteous attitude of so many Harley Owners...I just don't get why?
I owned a Harley Sportster many years ago, not a bad bike but definitely not superior...I can appreciate the HD brand the way I appreciate my old Brit Bikes, they have a lot of character but lack the refinement of a lot of other brands.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Sturgis 'used' to be the Mecca of Harleydom, but it's not the "ride American or get out" place it once was. Been over ten years since I was there, and I was on my Vulcan and was never out of place once (quite the opposite really). Didn't see a whole lot of Wings, but there were still plenty and lots of them parked on main street amidst the v-twin crowd. No worries. Didn't go to the "chip" but at the Full Throttle and Broken Spoke there was everything from Bourgets to crotch rockets parked outside.
Piper, if you fly there, be sure to pay attention to the 'density altitude' if you're in a small plane. It can get real dicey when the temps soar to +100f; can make for interesting take off rolls;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have owned 3 GW 1800's and let a friend talk me into a Harley Electra glide classic.

Not a bad ride... BUT... after 5500 miles I traded it for my 4th Gold Wing. A 2012 with the Nav pkg.

I will NEVER own another Harley - but like others I may rent one when out of town - IF I don't have my wing with me...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heard a rumor they were going to start offering liquid cooled motors for some of their dressers in 2013. Probably cost close to $40,000.00
Think I'll keep my 2010 Wing in either event.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.