Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the end of the life of my 2nd Ultra Classic, and would really like to be able to have a bike that I can ride 20,000 miles per year and still have it last 10 years before replacing the engine.... so I'm obviously looking at the Wing.

The only problem is the width of the engine causing issues with my horrible knees (OSD, Arthritis, and a few surgeries). I have ridden on a 2012 with hiway pegs (everything else stock), and still cannot find the position to prevent knee pain (after only about 40 miles, when the Ultra usually starts hurting at around 400).

On the Harley forum, I have encountered several people who left their Wing behind for an ultra due to knee problems and they need the narrower engine. I really don't want another Harley. I love the style, the feel, and the "soul", but the performance and reliability always let me down.

I'm hoping that someone here with a similar problem can tell me their experiences and solutions so that I can go get a new wing without fear.....

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
CW, welcome to the forum from Texas.

I have similar problems. Severe arthritis in both knees. That was made worse when I was rearended in '08 that left some torn ligaments, hip and back fractures. I was forced to move to a trike. If I try to use highway pegs, I get an immediate pain in the knee and hip.

But the trike has the "aqua shields'" or running boards. I find I can change my position by putting my feet on the boards in front of the pegs. Yes, that puts my feet BELOW the pegs but it works.

Maybe, just maybe, if you set your highway pegs lower (which will mean bring them back closer to the stock pegs) you won't have the pain, or at least not as much or as quickly. Worth a try.

You can also add a seat cushion or two to raise you in the saddle so your knee is not bent as much. That also helped me. But try to borrow the cushions for a test ride first. They can get as expensive as all the other stuff we put on these things. If you're within a days ride of Dallas, pm me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hear you, same thing here if you look through my posts. I am planning on designing my own seat to move it back and up. other plans as well, like possibly iso pads. but like you, highway pegs dont work. its harder to get your knees out past the fairing and the engine doesnt allow for any room forward. I did buy a 1500 to ride anyway. but if I cant get it under control, Ill be in the same boat, but hope it will work. may consider a victory if not.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Roadsmith's new Comfort Controls

I also never cared for the foot position on the GoldWings but loved everything else about the bike. I currently bought a 2005 Wing with a Roadsmith trike conversion. I have their Wing Guards along with their new Comfort Controls installed. (See link below). Although the Comfort Controls don't move you feet as far forward as the Harley, they do position the foot placement forward and down enough for a more "natural" stance. They work for me.

http://trikeshop.com/news/4192012/

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Rich (rmrc), can you post a picture or two of the forward controls on your trike? I haven't been able to find a good look at them. Thx

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a Hannigan w/weight bearing foot fairings. Took the OEM rider pegs off and absolutely love being able to move my feet around!
took a little getting use to the shift and the brake pedal but, 2nd nature now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Rich (rmrc), can you post a picture or two of the forward controls on your trike? I haven't been able to find a good look at them. Thx
I promise I'll have pictures of the Comfort Controls on my Trike posted either tomorrow (Saturday) or the latest by Sunday! ;)

And as DeputyDawg mention, the weight bearing foot fairings as also another option. I also have those on my trike. You'll see the entire setup in the photos.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm at the end of the life of my 2nd Ultra Classic, and would really like to be able to have a bike that I can ride 20,000 miles per year and still have it last 10 years before replacing the engine.... so I'm obviously looking at the Wing.

The only problem is the width of the engine causing issues with my horrible knees (OSD, Arthritis, and a few surgeries). I have ridden on a 2012 with hiway pegs (everything else stock), and still cannot find the position to prevent knee pain (after only about 40 miles, when the Ultra usually starts hurting at around 400).

On the Harley forum, I have encountered several people who left their Wing behind for an ultra due to knee problems and they need the narrower engine. I really don't want another Harley. I love the style, the feel, and the "soul", but the performance and reliability always let me down.

I'm hoping that someone here with a similar problem can tell me their experiences and solutions so that I can go get a new wing without fear.....
My hips cramp up badly on sportbikes and stock tourers with midline control placement (GW, older Voyagers, Cavalcades). I have floorboards on my GL1500 that set my feet ahead enough to get me out of the cramp zone. I also have a trike kit installed, so kicking up on the touring pegs is something I can easily do at any time.

I also have an Ultra Classic that has been problem-free except for the trap of buying farkles for it :) Those floorboards set my feet about 25% farther forward than the Markland boards on my GL1500 just to give you a comparison.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pictures of the new Roadsmith 'Comfort Controls'

Okay guys. As promised here are 4 photos of the Comfort Controls (2 for each side). As you'll also see, I have the Roadsmith Wing Boards as well. Notice how close the floor boards are now positioned to the top of the Wing Boards. They almost rest on the Wing Boards.

You can see the two original stock bolts where the floor boards were originally attached to. Now as you can see, the floor boards, brake and shifter have been moved forward and down.

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Looks like quite a difference. Can't see any reason they wouldn't work on a two wheel Wing (no pun intended Charlie). I found my foot position a bit cramped with the stock pegs, but I have the boards now and it's better. I have highway boards with teh 4" armos on them and they make a good relief placement for my fett, but I don't have the pain issues that you mentioned. I do have arthritis in my left ankle rather bad, but it doesn't bother me much when riding. You could try lowering your highway pegs for more of a stretch in the knees, but then you'll have cornering clearance issues. Beyond that, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2 cents for whatever it's worth. Have you thought about finding a clean low mile 1500? There are a lot of them out there. Bullet proof engine and much more leg and foot room. I've never raced a Harley Ultra on mine, but it really does have "enough" power for almost any conditions. Granted, not an 1800 performance wise, but very comfortable to ride all day long. That, and you'd save a lot of money for trips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.