Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used '08 and the wheels looked really dirty, but the seller said they would clean.
I tried "Mothers Mag and Aluminum polist, with a buffing ball, and the stain doesn't want to come off.
I stayed in one spot on the wheel, and finally made it a little shiney, but the stain is very difficult to come off, and it seems there are minute pitting left.
My son-in-law suggested something had remove the clear coat and stained the wheels. Any idea what it could be, and how do I clean them up?
HOW MUCH FOR NEW WHEELS, is my next question.
thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
They become pitted really easily. I also have an '08 and the wheels are extremely hard to keep clean. The brakes, espically the rear produce more dust than on any bike I have ever had. Others may chime in with other products. Ever so often I use a Turtle Wax product and even a 000 grit steel wool and then a good coat of wax. I used to worry about it but not much any more. Some guys have the wheels powder coated or chromed which is a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Sounds Like Someone Might Have Used A Car/truck Wheel Cleaner ... Some Of These Cleaners Have Caustic Additives That Will Pit Aluminum ... After That Happens Just Standard Road Dirt Will Stain The Rims If Not Cleaned Regularly ... To Get The Stain Out You Might Try A Fine Grit Light Sanding ... If You Do That Chances Are You Should Spray A New Clear Coat To Protect The Rims ... Also You Might Paint Them To Color Match Or Accent The Bike ... Make Sure You Use An Alum. Primer Before Painting To Keep Paint From Peeling ... Happy Trails ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts