Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The colder it gets,the harder to start.At 40 deg.have to crank and crank.My 79 fires instantly even w/out choke.79 has electronic ignition.Once 78's been warmed it'll start ok all day even if allowed to cool off.Carbs have been rebuilt and synced.I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or weak spark.What do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under Peter. I have not worked on the 1000 wing. But the old cars with point sometimes had a boost to the points in the starting cycle (higher volts). I would start looking there.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Being a simple dimple, I'd check the battery voltage before cold crank and then check it before starting again after it's warm. If battery checks OK, I'd move downstream to the ignition components.

Another test I'd do if the battery seems OK is to pull and ground a spark plug before starting it cold and check the quality/power of the spark versus what it looks like after it's warmed up.

Don't know squat about the GL1000 specifically, like whether you have points and condenser. When I did VW tune-ups as a teen I always replaced the condenser even if I just filed and gapped the points. An older neighbor who was a mechanic suggested it.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Peter, I have to echo waht's been mentioned about the ingition thus far. Lots of 1000 owners swap out the 'old school' ingintion for the transistorized ones.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello peter, welcome to GWOF. whens the last time you did a tuneup on the '78

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Sounds like the choke isn't working correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts