Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just traded in my '09 Ultra for a 2012 'wing. Nice bike, some ways better, some ways worse, but oh well....
Anyhow, the 'wing seems to shift hard. It almost seems like there is no lube on the gears, but the oil is full and changed about 200 miles ago to 10W40 Honda Syn without Moly. The bike has 1600 miles on it. It needs a VERY firm tug to get it into gear and sometimes it feels like the gears are not meshing immediately. Will this get better as time goes on, or should I have the dealer investigate? Maybe I am used to the Harley, which shifted smoothly and quietly. Like I said, new to this bike, so maybe it's normal....
Thanks, Jeff:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
For such a nicely engineered bike the transmission shifting of a Goldwing leaves a lot to be desired. We call it the " clunk " shift. I rent the newest Ultra-Glide's when on my annual visit to Arizona so I know what you mean regarding the transmission. It sounds and feel cheesy. If misery loves company you'll never be alone on this topic. It's the thorn on the rose bush.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 this year and too thought the bike shifted funny. It feels like there is two shifts in one, first coming out of gear, then going into the next. At least once on every ride I slip into neutral and rev rather than going directly into second. The mechanic at the dealer says the feel is normal and nothing is wrong. I had a 2009 Nomad before this and it had a strong shift into the next gear, plus it had an indicator to show what gear you are in, which I quite liked.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My 2008 was like that but about 5k was needed to break it in. My bike shifts fine now, however I am still in the habit exaggerating my shift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'll get used to the GW tranny. I thought my FJR was a little clunky but compared to the GW it was like butter. I was so annoyed that I took my new 2012 back to the dealer as I thought something was out of adjustment. It had also done a self-shift from 5th to 4th while riding two up when I first got it, less than 300 miles. The dealer was concerned about the "ghost shift" (what they call it) and checked the transmission. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and it hasn't done that since. However the noisy shifting is still there and so I just try to ignore it. The smoothness of the 6 cylinder boxer engine sort of makes up for the transmission in some way. I'm trying to be positive here as the engine is wonderful. The oil was changed at 600 miles and I just changed it again at 2600 (I know, a real waste of good oil). I carefully checked the oil for any glitter or metal flakes but didn't see anything in the oil that would indicate any wear in the transmission. So my recommendation is to just relish the "mech-warrior" nature of the GW tranny. ;)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I got my 94 with 28,000 miles on it and the transmission clunked when shifted. I put Mobile One Motorcycle Racing Oil in and it immediately made a difference in the shifting but it still had a clunk going from 1st to 2nd. After 13,000 miles, I don't think about it anymore.

I just think about how quiet this bike is and how powerful the motor is. I can slow down to 30 mph and not shift out of high gear and the bike just comes right back up to speed. Almost like I am riding an automatic. In fact, in most situations, I skip gears when shifting. 1st to 3rd, 2nd to 4th is a common shift pattern for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well, Larry, my "old" 1200 will ride fairly well at the lower speeds in 3,4the gear, BUT will also "lug" when trying to get back up to a reasonable speed. But I love it anyway.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I actually talked to a Honda rep about this 'issue' and he wasn't able to give me any explaination as to why the Wings are so inclined to really 'clunk' between 1st and 2nd. Mine is far better with nearly 20,000 kms on the clock and synthetic (I use Amsoil) oil in it. I've had the odd miss-shift 1-2, but also some very snick-snick ones as well. The rest of the shifts up or down are mostly nearly butter smooth. Certainly not in the category of my RC though. I have found that Wings shift far smoother with a more stately and relaxed approach to accellerating/shifting than when you get ham fisted and a bit hooligan minded. Rapid (drag-strip style) accellerating takes practice and good technique if you use the full rev range.;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 2010 has 3750 mile on her (new May 2011) no clunk other then into 1st ,but not bad , changed oil to Rotella T6 this weekend rode to work yesterday.....no clunk .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts