Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up one of those little black motorcycle trailers for 25 percent off today.
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html
They are giving 25 percent off coupons out making total costs with tax around $320.00. Pass it along it is a really nice trailer for the goldwing. Since I have full coverage on the bike, Geico is covering it at no additional cost and first time registration is 60 bucks. Thought I pass it along, is a great deal

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you know why the weight carrying limit is 400 lbs. less for motorcycles? If the 200 lb. weight limit for motorcycles includes the weight of the trailer, that doesn't leave you much for cargo. Also, it's only rated for 55 mph, that may be a conservative rating based upon the standard tires. Can the tires be upgraded to a different type that will be safe @ 70-80?

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its 200 plus trailer. Thats pushing the limits at that weight. The bike still needs to be able to move quick, side to side. The trailer at higher limits can make the rear tire lose traction if pushed too far such as avoiding deer,dog, or cars. The tires are speed rated for that weight at 55 mph. You can always upgrade the tires to a higher speed rating as needed. I know a lot of people with these trailer that stock are heading down the interstate with no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I have one and we love it ! We have no problem with pulling it , weight wise or handling. I know it isn't fancy enough for some wing owners who wouldn't be caught pulling such a cheap looking trailer , but it serves the purpose and why would anyone want to pull any trailer at 70 or 80 mph with a motorcycle ? I don't mind riding a little slower and seeing the country , that is why i bought the bike in the first place . I think you will be very satisfied with your trailer and if you are ever in North Alabama give me a shout .

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm off Friday and will finish the wiring and welding. Seen alot of these stolen of the bikes. I'm welding all the bolts and connections. If they want it they are going to have to work for it. That's what we Picked it up for, slow cruising.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favor. Take the hubs apart, and go find replacement wheel bearings and seals for them. Physically check them to make sure they actually fit. Get two sets, and carry one with you on any trip. Have the second set packed so a frind can send it to you if needed.

HFT is notorious for using odd sized Chinese made wheel bearings that, when failed on a trip in the middle of nowhere, prove to be irreplaceable. You don't want to have to purchase an entire axle and hub set on your vacation, so it is just good sense to carry an extra bearing set with you, a set that you KNOW works.

Remove the caps and replace them with Bearing Buddies so you can lube the bearings as you ride.

Also, remember that the side-to-side sway forces in all trailers cause the lug nuts to loosen up, so check them often to make sure they are still tight. I'll bet that half of you who have trailers are rolling around right now on lug nuts you can loosen with a short ratchet wrench and one hand. Go check them now.

Finally, those cheaper trailers are okay, but remember. you get what you pay for. spend a few bucks at Fastenal and replace the cheap 8-for-a-penny bolts with REAL hardened steel bolts and nylock nuts. You will thank me later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Biker Joe tagged it...............

Its the Wheel bearings you need to watch out for on these cheap trailers. at a minimum get bearing buddies and keep a grease gun with you. Grease every time you get fuel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well, I'd say that once every three days or so is sufficient. Greasing them at every fuel stop will result in a lot of grease being slung out of the hub and onto the tires and cargo container. The bearings work. It is just that they are not high quality steel like Federal Mogul bearings. At high speeds without lubrication, those cheap roller bearings will fail rather suddenly. I seriously doubt that the tension nuts are even properly adjusted at the time of sale. some are too tight, causing hub seizure. some are too loose, causing the wheel to fall off without warning. Some are not even adjustable!

Back in '78, I managed a moped sales store. I sold Puch, Motobecane, Thomos, and "Speed Bird" as the bargain basement model. Did you know that the old "Speed Bird" mopeds from China (Circa 1978) didn't even HAVE front wheel bearings? It had a nylon sleeve that allowed the front wheel to rotate on a machined (?), polished bolt, using grease alone as it's friction reducer. The people who bought these mopeds would ride along at the moped's top speed of 24 mph, thinking everything was grand. Suddenly the front wheel would seize and the rider would be thrown over the handlebars. We sold four of them before learning of this horrible flaw. Fortunately, I contacted all four riders. Three accepted a refund and we took them back. The fourth swore he would grease the hub daily, but kept the bike.

It really IS worth your time and trouble to disassemble the hubs on all of the cheap Taiwanese trailer kits (including Sears, Pep Boys, etc.) and inspect, adjust and lube the bearings, and make certain that you CAN find replacements for them. If not, you are dragging a floating boat anchor behind you, one that could drop to the pavement at any moment without warning.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Its 200 plus trailer. Thats pushing the limits at that weight. The bike still needs to be able to move quick, side to side. The trailer at higher limits can make the rear tire lose traction if pushed too far such as avoiding deer,dog, or cars. The tires are speed rated for that weight at 55 mph. You can always upgrade the tires to a higher speed rating as needed. I know a lot of people with these trailer that stock are heading down the interstate with no issues.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Piggybacker trailer is the same trailer.Real easy to put together. Had it delivered to a DFW Honda and saved $50.
Comes on a pallet ready to unpack. I put the reflectors on the back and replaced the tail lights with lcd from Auto zone. Inside I replaced with ring bolts for bungee cords and silicon-ed all bolts.
It worked great at 75mph no problems.

http://www.robertawhite.com/piggybacker.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a HF 4x8 folding model that I've used for the past 4-5 years with no bearing issues at all. Obviously, I don't pull it with the GW.

I do clean, inspect, and repack the bearings every season and install new seals each time. I estimate 3-4000 miles a year at highway speeds.

My 2 cents...

Jim

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts