Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I called our Longview HF store and they have 3 in stock and in a few hours their inventory will be reduced by one. Now I need to get a hitch installed. Anyone had a hitch installed on their 1500? Also when I called I asked if I needed the 25% off coupon and they said yes. I asked them where I could get one and they said they had them also. I guess it helps to speak up and ask questions.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Got a coupon through email from Harbor Freight for one-day only 25% off, but I can't get it to post here.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I called our Longview HF store and they have 3 in stock and in a few hours their inventory will be reduced by one. Now I need to get a hitch installed. Anyone had a hitch installed on their 1500? Also when I called I asked if I needed the 25% off coupon and they said yes. I asked them where I could get one and they said they had them also. I guess it helps to speak up and ask questions.
Dan, I bought this hitch from Wingstuff and it took about 45 minutes to an hour to put it on my son's bike. Its nice and sturdy and seems well made for the 1500. Here is the link..
http://wingstuff.com/products/3362-uni-frame-trailer-hitch?from_search=1

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Try this, I hope it works.

Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Dan, I bought this hitch from Wingstuff and it took about 45 minutes to an hour to put it on my son's bike. Its nice and sturdy and seems well made for the 1500. Here is the link..
http://wingstuff.com/products/3362-uni-frame-trailer-hitch?from_search=1
Thanks good buddy, that's exactly what I need. Saw one just like it on Saunders forum for 95+65 packing and shipping and was missing parts. The new one at 219 delivered is a better deal to me and all new too. Nearly ddn't buy the trailer as I stopped in New London on the way to Longview and did a gut check. Then I thought about our little chat about gas prices and I realized that I can use the trailer for work in transporting a folding extension ladder for home inspections, pick up smaller items in our construction business and I want to explore moto camping with it. So, I cranked up the diesel beast and continued on to Longview and got the Tag Along trailer. Hope to get it all set up in the next 7-10 days for a trip with Deb down to the Texas hill country to see the blue bonnets.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Dan,

I got a chrome Markland step hitch for my 1500 for $70 on ebay. If I were to do it over again, I think I would opt for the receiver type but I have had no problems with the step hitch.

Here is a picture of the hitch. All of the chrome to the north of the hitch is not a part of it.

Here is a copy of the install instructions on a 1200. All I did was lay mine on the ground and compared what was on the bike and the hardware provided and it made enough sense that I had it installed in 30 minutes.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Here is a suggestion for the tag along trailer. It does not come with a cooler rack. I bought this rack:

When I am not using this to haul a cooler behind the Wing, it doubles as a trailer cooler rack as I just bolt it on the tongue of the trailer.

Here is the link to that at Wingstuff.

http://wingstuff.com/products/20314-universal-mounting-trailer-hitch-rack?from_search=1

Here it is mounted on my bike for the trip to south Texas. I was not pulling a trailer so it was mounted on the hitch and I carried my cooler and kitchen kit on it:

Here is a picture of that hitch carrier with my cooler and my kitchen kit loaded up:

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Nothing like an ice cold Coke when you have a thirst right Larry? My first trailer had no cooler rack on it either, so I fabricated one out of 1" angle iron, then sprayed it with Duplicolour to match along with the Coleman ice chest I used. Those HF trailers look like there's room to do the same thing.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Nothing like an ice cold Coke when you have a thirst right Larry? My first trailer had no cooler rack on it either, so I fabricated one out of 1" angle iron, then sprayed it with Duplicolour to match along with the Coleman ice chest I used. Those HF trailers look like there's room to do the same thing.
Coke is good.... so is ice water in the Arizona / New Mexico / Texas desert!

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Thanks Larry for all the info too. I think I'll go for the receiver hitch too as it looks like the strongest option. And thanks for the cooler base link for the tongue. It would be nice to have access to the cooler for drinks and such without opening up the shell. Seems like I keep stacking projects related to the bike. I guess when you start out with a new one there's lot's of gearing up to do. It's fun though to see this whole thing come together. This is a life long dream of getting a Wing and now a trailer and getting out and doing some touring and some moto camping.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Actually the Markland is stronger than the receiver hitch, but it is just not as cool. The fact that the hitch almost disappears is very nice.

I sometimes use this bag on the rear hitch when the girl friend and I are traveling without camping gear.

When it is closed, the rear taillights and license plate is still visible from the rear. Important.....

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Actually the Markland is stronger than the receiver hitch.
Why is it then 1/3 the cost Larry? Is it purely cosmetics? That's a huge difference in cost. BTW, drive out cost for the HF Tag Along trailer was 337.00/no tax.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Why is it then 1/3 the cost Larry? Is it purely cosmetics? That's a huge difference in cost. BTW, drive out cost for the HF Tag Along trailer was 337.00/no tax.
I bought it used on ebay vs online new.

Note: When people get ready to sell their 1500, they remove the hitch so that the prospective buyer is not concerned about the fact that the bike has been pulling a trailer. So, they show up on ebay quite regularly.

Here is a Markland for sale on ebay..... but I don't see all of the necessary hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Honda-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6e810308&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Thanks Larry for the tips, pics and links. This will be a fun project to do, building the trailer. What's cool too is that this trailer is the perfect size to pull behind Deb's Honda Civic. She's talked about getting a baby trailer for her car since we installed a hitch on it last year to trailer the Burgman out to Colorado and California. Thought of a cool idea too; install a small solar panel on the top box lid for charging electronics like my ipad and iphone for moto camping.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
The tag a long trailer top box is held on with 4 bolts. I had another harbor freight trailer that I used to haul my dual sport. I have since rid myself of an extra trailer by making the tag along a convertible to haul my Silverwing. Here is a picture of my Goldwing, pulling my dual sport. I sold the dual sport, but this option pulls nicely behind my pickup when it is necessary to take the Ranger and I don't want to leave my Silverwing behind. Too small for the Goldwing.... but the Goldwing doesn't get trailered very often.

The wheel rack is an upside down harbor freight 6ft loading ramp and the wheel chock is from HF as well. Here is a picture of the original HF trailer setup. I don't have a picture of the Tag A Long setup this way.

This is how I am doing "two up" to Phoenix next winter/spring, pulling the Silverwing along. She can be the relief driver and it won't take 3 full days to get there and 3 full days to get home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts