Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Bought one last year but haven't used it on a trip yet,just towed it around my area to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I have two and they are great ! I pull one with the Wing most of the time and for the money i am completely satisfied .

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I have never pulled a trailer...
For some reason I assumed a trailer to pull behind a bike, had a hitch that would rotate to allow for leans.

Can you pull any type of trailer as long as you have a ball and hitch???:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I have never pulled a trailer...
For some reason I assumed a trailer to pull behind a bike, had a hitch that would rotate to allow for leans.

Can you pull any type of trailer as long as you have a ball and hitch???:confused:
have seen a swivel on the piggybacker but it was discontinued.
I have scrapped my pegs and never felt a wiggle behind me.

I think the clearance between the ball to the receiver is more than enough to keep it clear.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
have seen a swivel on the piggybacker but it was discontinued.
I have scrapped my pegs and never felt a wiggle behind me.

I think the clearance between the ball to the receiver is more than enough to keep it clear.
Doesn't sound right:confused: You would think it would create tension:confused:

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't sound right:confused: You would think it would create tension:confused:
I have never had a situation where I felt the trailer pulling me in a different direction. Then again, my trailer does not weight that much and I don't load it with bricks either. The max. load limit for motorcycles states 200 lbs on this trailer and my cargo is half of that. (600 lbs being pulled behind a vehicle.)

When I put the bike on the side stand and take a look from the back side of the trailer and then inspect how much room there is yet on the ball and hitch, It does not change all that much.

I would like to try slowly lowering the bike with help from another guy once and see how far over the bike could go before I felt any friction from the hitch/ball.

I suppose the first time my bike falls over with the trailer attached, I will know a bit more about that.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I have never had a situation where I felt the trailer pulling me in a different direction. Then again, my trailer does not weight that much and I don't load it with bricks either. The max. load limit for motorcycles states 200 lbs on this trailer and my cargo is half of that. (600 lbs being pulled behind a vehicle.)

When I put the bike on the side stand and take a look from the back side of the trailer and then inspect how much room there is yet on the ball and hitch, It does not change all that much.

I would like to try slowly lowering the bike with help from another guy once and see how far over the bike could go before I felt any friction from the hitch/ball.

I suppose the first time my bike falls over with the trailer attached, I will know a bit more about that.
That would be nice to know...
Not being foolish...This is actually encouraging. My wife wants me to get a trailer. I thought it had to be special made to pull behind a bike. Very encouraging.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is great price for a trailer,I am not sure how well they pull, I did pull a dart trailer before I bought my escapade trailer. The dart is much cheaper, as an escapade is close to 5K. I can say they dont bounce or you even know its back there even at 75mph.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just bought a Bushtec Spartan trailer with the pin hitch. My first trailer. I went to the store to get two 40 lbs. bags of lyme for the lawn and took the trailer. I had to look to see if it was still there. I couldn't feel it back there. No bounce and no movement at the hitch. More money but I liked the safety features.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Larry, the HF site lists the specs for the trailer max towing speed at 55mph. You had one before, how fast did you ride with it? Is there a tire upgrade?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Darn I just bought the 1096 lb trailer from them for the 12 inch wheels. I found a car top carrier (Sears) for 60 dollars. Trying to figure out how to paint it. Went to Sherman Paint, they talked me into some paint for plastic. Hope it works. Will end up having $250 in the whole thing when done. Hope this paint works.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Darn I just bought the 1096 lb trailer from them for the 12 inch wheels. I found a car top carrier (Sears) for 60 dollars. Trying to figure out how to paint it. Went to Sherman Paint, they talked me into some paint for plastic. Hope it works. Will end up having $250 in the whole thing when done. Hope this paint works.
Hey Jack, what color will it be?

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Larry, the HF site lists the specs for the trailer max towing speed at 55mph. You had one before, how fast did you ride with it? Is there a tire upgrade?
The 55 mph is a "cover their butt" rating. I have pulled my trailer at 75 and had no sway or anything. In California, all trailer rigs are restricted to 55. There are many bike riders using this trailer. Google TagAlong and see how they are mentioned in many of the motorcycle forums. I know two other bikers personally that use this same trailer.

The only upgrade I did to the trailer was the tail lights to LED.

The trailer is rated for 600 lbs cargo. There are folks who have taken one of the springs out to soften the ride. I have not found it necessary. I also heard that some have had to put some rubber on some things to lower the noise or squeaks, I have not had to do that either. I don't notice any sounds coming from the trailer except when I go over railroad tracks or hit a pot hole... I can hear the springs.

So what, I say.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Also, don't forget to pickup a 20% off coupon and wait until they go on sale! I bought mine with a 20% off coupon and it was on sale for $345 so with our outrageous sales tax of 10% I got it for $340. I sold my 1980 fiberglass Spirit trailer for $750 as I knew I wanted one of these the first time I got a good look at my friends.

I have seen these painted to color match. Most of the time, they just paint the clam and leave the underthings black.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Everyone has to make their own decision, but after following several trailers that ive seen bounce and shift after hitting r.r. tracks I decided on the Escapade because of the suspension.
The Escapade Trailer’s legendary handling is the product of a brilliantly engineered suspension system. They incorporate an air shock system with an independent trailing swing arm design. The shocks have been designed by the industry leader - Progressive Suspension, Inc. The special damping cartridge gives superior damping even when the trailer is towed empty, meaning no bounce under every condition.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I have around 300 # of gear in my HF and i ride at speeds of 75 and 80 mph. without any problem . I have a 1996 1500SE and the wife is 140 # and i am 350 # , so that should give you an idea of the load and trailering weight . I wouldn't want any other kind of trailer , add some reflectors to the sides and back , mount the spare tire and i have less then $375 in the trailer .

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Here is the Harbor Freight trailer I built up. Boxes from Tractor Supply, Solar Panels from HF with 2 Optima batteries and 2k/4k inverter. Pulls pretty good. I am going to replace the cheezy 2 ply tires that came with it with 6 ply Carlisle's. A little over $1000 invested in total. So far I have pulled it up to 75mph or so but I won't go over that with these tires. Only reason to go over that would be an emergency pass. Since these pics were taken, I have moved one of the batteries to the front box for balance. The whole rig is designed for self sufficient camping or whatever my heart desires. Isaac:)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the Harbor Freight trailer I built up. Boxes from Tractor Supply, Solar Panels from HF with 2 Optima batteries and 2k/4k inverter. Pulls pretty good. I am going to replace the cheezy 2 ply tires that came with it with 6 ply Carlisle's. A little over $1000 invested in total. So far I have pulled it up to 75mph or so but I won't go over that with these tires. Only reason to go over that would be an emergency pass. Since these pics were taken, I have moved one of the batteries to the front box for balance. The whole rig is designed for self sufficient camping or whatever my heart desires. Isaac:)
Nice looking setup. The solar system and batteries feeds an inverter then? What size inverter do you use with the two deep cycle batteries? Do the solar panels require any kind of a special controller?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.