Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought our first Wing a week ago Saturday at Mungenast Motorsports in St. Louis, MO. 2010 Yellow w/ Nav.
It was technically a used bike since a guy bought it in September. He slipped in the parking lot and scuffed one side. Long and short is the bike had 7 miles on it, never left the dealership and got a great price. Moved up from a big Suzuki Boulevard that I had been trying to get more comfortable for my wife. More comfortable for her means much more two-wheeled miles for me. One test ride of the Wing and she changed her tune.
Getting used to the new geometry of my big feet on the pegs vs. floorboards and heel/toe shifter, combined braking and the myriad buttons. One thing we are both already used to is the awesome ride and power.

Just returned it to the dealership to get the TPMS light (not the low pressure indicator) looked at which has been on since about 10 minutes after we left the dealership.

Also, what has been the results of the braking system recall in January? Do most bikes need the parts replaced. I have noticed the rear pads rubbing on the disc sometimes, but probably only since the ride is so quiet. No locking up of the rear. I have noticed the foot brake pedal behaves differently at different times and did not know if this is part of the combined braking system.
No, I have not read the entire manual yet.

Looking forward to lots of miles and lots of interesting reading on the site.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing STL. I too traded up from a Boulevard to a Wing....Much of the same reasons. Welcome to the GWOF and safe riding

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Welcome STL. Sounds like a great deal you got there. The brake recall is something that the dealership will have to test, but only a very small percentage of the bikes are actually requiring repair. They should be able to do it at the same time as they do your TPMS light.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Congrats on getting a Wing.
Post pics.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Many miles and smiles ahead for both of you. Ride safe and enjoy...

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
hello stl, welcome to GWOF and tell your wife i said congrats on her new wing :)

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Welcome to the form from Pa. Congrats on the new Wing.Have fun and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Welcome to perhaps the most sociable and friendliest Gold Wing forum on the net. One of the things you will hear here; We want pics. Got some?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing.
I am another one that upgraded to the Wing from a Boulevard or rather Volusia which I still have but haven't ridden it since I got the Wing.
I feel a little bit sad for it just sitting in the garage next to the Wing, I still like it but compared to the Wing is like driving a Porche and then going to a Volkswagen, I'll probably sell it eventually, really hoping that the price of fuel will drive up the prices of used bikes a little before I put it on the market.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to an amazing place to find information, fun and friendship! We have had our trike for 2 months and love it. then found this website and that made things even better. Be safe, be blessed and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Get that wing out and put some miles on her, take some photos and tell us all about it. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
It was technically a used bike since a guy bought it in September. He slipped in the parking lot and scuffed one side. Long and short is the bike had 7 miles on it, never left the dealership and got a great price.
Coming off a 1300VTX, I felt a rush of anxiety leaving the seller's driveway. With its high seating position , I felt sure this bike was going to roll over in the first turn. I went straight home and contemplated the possibility that I had bitten off more than I could chew.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF & hope you enjoy your new ride.

Oh and as the others have said - Pictures yes!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Welcome from another Pa. guy and when you get this way LETS DO A ride we can show you around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the hospitality everyone! Need to get some accessories on it and get serious about some photos. Enjoyed great weather the last two weekends and just wanted to put miles on it.
On the test ride (a 2012) I took a lap around the dealership before my wife got on board. She got off and was talking about trips to Florida! When we picked up the bike, our sales guy gave us the full story on the used bike with 7 miles on it. "Older fellow" (sales guy looked under 30) put a foot down wrong and laid it over on his leg going zero mph. In between getting a quote to put everything back to brand new, the guy gets sick, never recovers and passes away. Family sold the bike back to the dealership.
So we hop right on together, and wind our way out through display bikes down the sidewalk and turn out into the auto dealers parking lot. Ended up putting my foot down awkwardly and then I was stuck. Nothing touched asphalt, but I couldn't move until I convinced my wife to hop off. That is a heck of a way to start out!
I told my wife, "No, the bike is not haunted, that guys ghost helped me hold the bike while you got off". A change in footwear from Harley wanna-be biker boots to a lighter shoe with ankle protection and uniform tread probably helps also. No issues since.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

1 - 19 of 19 Posts