Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, this trailer wiring thing is driving me nuts. The more I research it the more it seems like a tire issue - everyone has another method and thought that seems better to them.

Here is my dilemma; I bought a used Hannigan Sierra, and while the trailer is nice, the plug in harness has been damaged and will need to be changed... the round plug that is on it cut off and a new end put on.

I Have a new 10 "Wing on which I had a GL1800 Honda Goldwing Vertical Trailer Hitch installed. It was for the nice little rack I could attach. Well, I found a deal on this trailer and could not pass it up. so now I need to wire the Wing.

It seems to me that I could just get a unit like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING-1800-GL1800-ISOLATED-TRAILER-HARNESS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de4075afQQitemZ360211051951QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

And then I guess I have to get the appropriate end for it - because I don't see one in the picture... and then the appropriate end for the trailer itself - the plugs to plug it together... am I right?

Thanks for the help with this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow... not one reply. Have I been rude or something? I have searched the forums and have not gotten anything but confused. I need to understand this thing and can't seem to get my head around it.

Can anyone give me any info as to my query?

Thanks,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow... not one reply. Have I been rude or something? I have searched the forums and have not gotten anything but confused. I need to understand this thing and can't seem to get my head around it.

Can anyone give me any info as to my query?

Thanks,
Does the bike have the trailer plug recepticle on it? Sounds like its not wired yet? I had a similar issue when I first wired my bike with the recepticle then changed trailers. I had to put a new plug on the trailer to match the bike recepticle. The new trailer wiring was wired differently and the colors did not match so I had to test each plug connector seperately ie: groungdin,brakes, running, & turn signal. Blew a few fuses in the process. My first suggestion would be get the bike wire correctly and then match the trailer wiring to it. Just a suggestion. Sometimes you have do do it all from scratch and after market plug and plays won't work.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks PT,

Here is where I am at the moment. I went to a trailer shop today and got a matching male and female. Looking at the pic: on the left is the female from the 'Wing.... and on the right (with the orange tag) is the male from the Hannigan.

Now, as I understand it the Hannigan is a five wire and the 'Wing is a five wire. When I hook up something like this GOLDWING 1800 GL1800 ISOLATED TRAILER HARNESS shown here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING-1800-GL1800-ISOLATED-TRAILER-HARNESS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de4075afQQitemZ360211051951QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956 and because It is a five wire system and plugs into the factory harness on all Goldwing 1800's from 2001-2010 - it ought to wire to the female plug and at the trailer end - the orange tabbed plug should match up with the Hannigan which is a five wire I am told.

So this should work shouldn't it?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PT,

Here is where I am at the moment. I went to a trailer shop today and got a matching male and female. Looking at the pic: on the left is the female from the 'Wing.... and on the right (with the orange tag) is the male from the Hannigan.

Now, as I understand it the Hannigan is a five wire and the 'Wing is a five wire. When I hook up something like this GOLDWING 1800 GL1800 ISOLATED TRAILER HARNESS shown here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING-1800-GL1800-ISOLATED-TRAILER-HARNESS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de4075afQQitemZ360211051951QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956 and because It is a five wire system and plugs into the factory harness on all Goldwing 1800's from 2001-2010 - it ought to wire to the female plug and at the trailer end - the orange tabbed plug should match up with the Hannigan which is a five wire I am told.

So this should work shouldn't it? Here is a pic of the harness connections I bought today.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sorry lakecharles, but I detest trailer wiring. I did both my previous wings myself, and hated every second of it. Use a coded wiring schematic to see the proper coloured wires for each system and then follow back to the trailer from there (I think). If you use a 12v power pack to check which wire does what on the trailer you should be able to use the dual connector you bought. If you use quick connects to splice into the bike's wiring, be sure to shrink wrap them or use liquid electrical tape so they don't get fouled by moisture and cause a short. Use wire loom to protect any loose bundles and secure the loom to the frame of the trailer or under the bike parts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...If you use quick connects to splice into the bike's wiring, be sure to shrink wrap them or use liquid electrical tape so they don't get fouled by moisture and cause a short. Use wire loom to protect any loose bundles and secure the loom to the frame of the trailer or under the bike parts
Thank you Budoka, I bought the shrink wrap to take with me. Got that over the liquid tape, but might get some of that also. I agree with the assessment to use wire loom as well; was kicking myself for not getting that while I was at Lowes today. U do have assorted length black wire ties and was intent on using them to secure the wiring.

Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the trailer

Went and got this absolutely beautiful trailer today... found it over the weekend and what a deal!

I am so pumped up about this thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
quote=lakecharles;51290]Went and got this absolutely beautiful trailer today... found it over the weekend and what a deal!

I am so pumped up about this thing.[/quote]

NIce trailer, is it brandy new? I looked at the Hannigan trailer and thought they we heavy and very expensive for what it offered. But it is no doubt a nice trailer. I opted for the Fibro Concept, Lighter, more exterior LED lighting (extremely bright at night) and all the options, plus more for less money. Also the only trailer I could find that offered radial tires. Have fun and enjoy, You should be excited it is a good looking rig.:)

July Vacaton 2009- 156.jpg
IMG00003.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks PT,

So this should work shouldn't it? Here is a pic of the harness connections I bought today.
Have you got the wiring figured out yet? just curious on how it is going.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks John, that is a nice trailer you have... looks great - all black!

It is not a new one. I had planned on ordering a new Hannigan on Monday, and Friday night I googled Hannigan's website just to get the contact info again and as I glanced down the list of googled pages I noticed a red used one for sale. I clicked on it and it was an ad on Craig's List for a red trailer located in Richmond. I thought I would take a chance and see if it was still for sale and get a pic if possible. The owner replied back within the hour and sent a pic and it looked like a perfect match. My wife and I decided to drive over on Sunday afternoon between services and look at it. It was dirty but looked pretty good shape so I gave her $200 to hold it for me and went back on Thursday to pick it up. I cleaned it up while I was over there and man---- it looks like a new one. It has absolutely everything I was going to order and the total was going to be $4555 for a new one. I got it for $2600.

I wanted to buy a Tailwind but Tom kind of let me think it would be a while and the price was pretty steep. I had read where he (Tailwind Co. owner) had suggested a Hannigan if not buying a Tailwiind so I was commited to that... but a "like new" used one for almost half price.... too good to pass up. That is a God thing to be sure!

As for the wiring. I ordered one of these from Wingstuff: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2679/ and with the two harnesses I bought I should have it covered.

I noticed that the new harness on the trailer side (I listed a pic of it earlier in the post - the one with the orange tab) has markings:

light blue is marked BU
green is marked RT
yellow is marked LT
Brown is TM (What is TM?)
white is listed as ground.

I don't know how the wires will be listed on the Wingstuff piece that attaches to the Wing - it's supposed to be 'plug n' play' so we will see. I would think it should have the wires listed as to what is for what. Anyway, I just wish I had some input from others who have wired things..... I thank you for your input

I guess I will just put it all side by side when it gets here and see where to go from there.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I wish I had some helpful answers. My bike was already wired for a trailer and when I hooked up my trailer it worked. I did convert to LEDs but that was a straight across change out.

Nice looking combination. You did good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks John, that is a nice trailer you have... looks great - all black!

It is not a new one. I had planned on ordering a new Hannigan on Monday, and Friday night I googled Hannigan's website just to get the contact info again and as I glanced down the list of googled pages I noticed a red used one for sale. I clicked on it and it was an ad on Craig's List for a red trailer located in Richmond. I thought I would take a chance and see if it was still for sale and get a pic if possible. The owner replied back within the hour and sent a pic and it looked like a perfect match. My wife and I decided to drive over on Sunday afternoon between services and look at it. It was dirty but looked pretty good shape so I gave her $200 to hold it for me and went back on Thursday to pick it up. I cleaned it up while I was over there and man---- it looks like a new one. It has absolutely everything I was going to order and the total was going to be $4555 for a new one. I got it for $2600.

I wanted to buy a Tailwind but Tom kind of let me think it would be a while and the price was pretty steep. I had read where he (Tailwind Co. owner) had suggested a Hannigan if not buying a Tailwiind so I was commited to that... but a "like new" used one for almost half price.... too good to pass up. That is a God thing to be sure!

As for the wiring. I ordered one of these from Wingstuff: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2679/ and with the two harnesses I bought I should have it covered.

I noticed that the new harness on the trailer side (I listed a pic of it earlier in the post - the one with the orange tab) has markings:

light blue is marked BU
green is marked RT
yellow is marked LT
Brown is TM (What is TM?)
white is listed as ground.

I don't know how the wires will be listed on the Wingstuff piece that attaches to the Wing - it's supposed to be 'plug n' play' so we will see. I would think it should have the wires listed as to what is for what. Anyway, I just wish I had some input from others who have wired things..... I thank you for your input

I guess I will just put it all side by side when it gets here and see where to go from there.

Lakecharles,
I am anxious to hear how the Hannigan trailer pulls, how it feels behind the bike. Let me know if you can feel the weight or if it is balanced really well. Starting and stopping etc. Also how it handles in the twisties. Mine is so well balanced and light that even loaded (properly) I hardly notice it is there. I went thru a bunch of const and the roads were uneven and rough and the trailer stayed true and did not swerve or sway as I moved the bike around to avoid holes and the pavement ridges. I find that the radial tires on the trailer make a real difference. I can lean the bike just as far with the trailer as with out in the twisties. I don't recommend it, but I've done it and the trailer stays right where it is supposed to. Main thing is that it is the trailer you want and that it serves your purpose and it works well for you. There are a few good ones out there and a lot of not so good......Happy trailering and be safe.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John,

The trailer pulls great.... you don't even know it's back there. I could watch it in one of my mirrors and it tracks and handles rough spots and holes with ease. I took some twisties with it at speed and had one eye in the mirror; what a pleasurable rush to know the motorcycle is listing over and the trailer is tracking like it's on rails. And i passed a car at 50 mph and just flew by - not breaking a sweat.

It was not full but I am sure it will handle well from that aspect as well. This was an amazing deal. I added up the accessories and with the base price of $2695 and the accessories I wanted (which were all on the trailer) ... it would have totaled $4555 and I got it bought for only $2600! What a blessing.

I just go out and drool over it. Man, what a blessing; I just love the looks of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
light wire codes

TM is tail-marker.The colors onthe bike are green ground, brown tail, light blue right turn , orange left turn, red brake . The wires on the trailer are white ground, brown tail, green right turn, yellow left turn, and red brake. Thes are the standard colors. You must remember that someone could have not known and or cared and did it differantly. If your trailer was one with four wires the brakes would use the turn signal bulbs. That flat five is probably the easiest in your situation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TM is tail-marker.The colors onthe bike are green ground, brown tail, light blue right turn , orange left turn, red brake . The wires on the trailer are white ground, brown tail, green right turn, yellow left turn, and red brake. Thes are the standard colors. You must remember that someone could have not known and or cared and did it differantly. If your trailer was one with four wires the brakes would use the turn signal bulbs. That flat five is probably the easiest in your situation.
Thanks for the info MM,

Ahhh... TM; now I kmow what that stands for. Thanks.

You must be referring to the color scheme for your particular trailer?

The color scheme for Hanningan trailer is :White Wire - Brake, Brown Wire - Running Lights, Black Wire - Ground, Blue Wire - Right turn Signal, and Red Wire - Left Turn Signal; that differs from what is coded on the rubber tip pieces but as long as I watch and match the ends to the appropriate wires (not going by color) I should be alright.... Correct?

The color scheme you mentioned for the motorcycle should be the same as the wiring harness I am getting then - I would presume.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I will be glad when the harness gets here so that I can lay it all out and then figure it out!

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Nice looking trailers everyone. Pack um up and head on out... Ride safe..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was just giving you the color that are on the bike and the industry standard for wirnig system for trailers. sorry if i confused you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just giving you the color that are on the bike and the industry standard for wirnig system for trailers. sorry if i confused you.
Thanks for the info MM, I am grateful to get it. But... hence - the title of the post. Your information differs from what I have gotten elsewhere and i am not saying you are wrong =please don't infer that; it's just that there are so many different answers to what wire color does what - depending on what the plug is, or the trailer, and maybe even the motorcycle - which I won't know about that until I get the harness... which is backordered!

Anyway, I think as long as whatever color each is supposed to be - as long as I am doing the single wire to whatever is the terminal use and it agrees with the motorcycle use - like LT for instance... I should be alright. I am going to solder the splices instead of crimping them and use shrink wrap around each splice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"...Also the only trailer I could find that offered radial tires...."

I don't know if my Hannigan came with radial tires - but that is what is on it. I just checked them "Kumho 771 Steel belted radial"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts