Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:

I'm new to the forum and am looking to purchase a 2003 Wing with only 5k miles on it. I currently have a H-D Superglide. I like it, but I want to travel more. My buddy in Florida has been after me for a couple of years to get a Wing.

After all that, I have a question: Is the weight a pominant factor in handling the Wing? I hear it all different ways. The low c of g on the Wing ought to make it easy. appreciate any comments.

Bidgebuilder

·
Registered
449 Posts
The wing is not that big a deal to handle due to the low center of gravity. I saw a video of a rather petite woman picking a wing up by herself backing into it and using her legs. I think you'll be OK.

·
Registered
60 Posts
welcome bridgebuider,

Fairly new to wings and to the forum myself. Coming from a roadglide to a wing - the wing feels and handles much lighter than the harley. You will really enjoy a wing.
Hope this helps- now go get it and ride!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome bridgebuilder!
Never ridden an HD before last fall, test rode a couple of bikes, the Ultra Classic was by far my favorite. We only rode about an 8 mile circuit, that said, I still think my 2000SE was easier to move around at low speed and more nimble at rode speeds. Could have been me getting used to the HD, wouldn't turn an Ultra down, but love my Wing!

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Welcome bridgebuilder,
I had a 1988 Harley Electra Glide Classic and now I have a Wing, they are great and they handle like a dream. Trust me you're going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
They handle great, you can scrape in corners with no worries, everyone always asks "HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGHT?" I tell them that doesn't matter, I don't plan on bench pressing it!!:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Handling the WIng

I'm not sure what the superglide weighs, but i have a decked out Road King Classic that weighed approx 735 lbs from the factory and I know I have added at least 50-75 pounds with a trunk, chrome, etc. Compare that to the weight of the factory Gold Wing and I think it's approx 790 lbs and the HD Road King is about identical in weight. For what it's worth....

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
I found the Goldwing had two weights: The actual and the psychological. And of the two the psychological weight was the greater. The more I ride the less the psycho weight becomes.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ultra Classic lists a dry weight of 852 lbs, the CVO Ultra is 887. The full option GL is 926 lbs 'wet'; so factor in 42# fuel and oil and there isn't much difference in the weight of the two brands at all (the CVO is actually heavier than the Wing). So your Superglide is lighter than an Ultra, but still well over 700#. A dollar vs. a doughnut says the Wing will actually handle better than your SG did.

·
Registered
449 Posts
everyone always asks "HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGHT?" I tell them that doesn't matter, I don't plan on bench pressing it!!:D
Do you mind if I quote you on that one. That's the best answer yet on the weight question.:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
I own a 83 Yamaha Venture and a 93 Goldwing, put 20,000 miles plus on the Venture and 75,000 on the Wing so I have had some time on the big bikes. I rented a 06 ElectraGlide Classic for two days in Daytona back in 06. Put on 500 miles in those two days and it was a nice ride. Each has it's own personality from a rider position, but my co-rider(wife) would not trade in our Wing on the H-D. From a performance aspect, I'd have to go toward the Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
weight

Hi, You will have no problem with the weight. Do watch for the wing wobble, about half wings have this flaw. Also on an 03 be sure the frame recall has been satisfied ( call a dealer with the VIN to check ). Enjoy the new ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts