Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't think I could make the Wing a more comfortable ride, but I did. Ordered Handlebar Risers from Wingstuff on a hunch. My last ride, a Kawasaki Voyager, had Risers installed and improved my ergs.

The mechanic charged one hour labor for the install, the results are great. The bars are moved back about one and a half inches and up about one inch. (exact specs on Wingstuff web site). The improved ergs were immediately noticeable. Rode 40 miles home from mechanic's shop, the next day I put over 140 miles on the Wing. Ride is much better than before, well worth the bucks.

Ride Safe,
T-Rex

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Great to have the feedback T-Rex. I know there have been several guys here that were pondering the addition. Glad they worked for you.

Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One of my customers is 6'4" and he put riser on his '08. Not sure what brand or where he got them but he likes 'em too.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I'm ordering a set this winter to be ready for spring. I'm starting out with just 1" up. As a matter of fact I have a question: Given the OEM angle of the stock bars, does 1" up mean the grips will be in same lateral plane position and only vertically up 1" ?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Which ones did you purchase? The Kury, MBL, or the polished ones?

I'm thinking that I'd really like to have a set on the wing next summer. I put some on my Vulcan and it made for a big improvment.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 6'5" and added the risers a few months ago. Great improvement on the ride. The one's I bought physically moved the handlebars back about an inch, and then they are built as a wedge so the elevation comes up an inch or so too. Easy enough to install even though you have to remove the dash.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I remember adjusting the bars on my 98 GL1500 and they were much better. Good info for those who may need just a little change of arm angle and position.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Installed these yesterday, STILL have not figured out how to get the replacement small screws screwed through the mouse ear piece, as they are hidden behind a metal brace. will try again today this is on a 2009 1800, any suggestions? would be appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Put risers on and took them off, they moved the bars up and back, but also brought the bar ends in at the same time. I did not like the feel of the angle of the bars with the ends tipped in toward the bike.

These were the The Kury ones, and they do have several configurations, but the ones that move the bars back where I want them move the ends of the grips also and the new angle is not comfortable for me.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Put risers on and took them off, they moved the bars up and back, but also brought the bar ends in at the same time. I did not like the feel of the angle of the bars with the ends tipped in toward the bike.
What brand did you get? Can you post a web site ? I'm happy with the grip angle and just need a bit up .

·
Registered
335 Posts
I put on the Kury's about a month ago, at first I did the 1" up, 2" back and 1" in towards the center. But found that at full turn it was hitting the gauges. Then I took out the shims which equals only 1/4 up and all else the same. Much more comfortable. And by the way if you drop one of the bolts down into the black hole you can use one of the factory bolts, works fine.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I put on the Kury's about a month ago, at first I did the 1" up, 2" back and 1" in towards the center. But found that at full turn it was hitting the gauges. Then I took out the shims which equals only 1/4 up and all else the same. Much more comfortable. And by the way if you drop one of the bolts down into the black hole you can use one of the factory bolts, works fine.
So with the Kury kit you have a choice of all three changes, just one or a combination of two ?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
So can the Kury risers be set up to bring the bars back but not bring the ends of the handles closer together? I like the spread fine now, I just want them closer towards me and a smidge up.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
335 Posts
These are the Kury instructions. Before I bought these I actually called the Kury tech line because I had seen 3 and 5 position risers. The tech told me this was only 3 position, I guess he never read the instruction.
The only problem was at full turn the bars hit the gauges, especially with the bar cover in place. I bought some longer screws to hold the bar cover in place but have not installed them yet. I think this will help because the front edge of the cover is not lifted up because the back end is pulled down because of the short screws.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Well picture ( 2 ) won't fully load but it probably will when I re-log onto the forum. All of the choice positions imply some degree of inward positioning of the grips. No biggie. It's all a compromise. I'm in. Hello Wing Stuff.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A few hints
1. Mine is an 2001, remove the speaker covers from the top. Place a piece of tape on the plastic and pry gently with a small flat head.
2. With both the spacer and shim in place you probably will not be able to use the cover. I actually took a grinder and removed a little from the bars to get more clearance with the gauges. That is why I took the shims out in the end I didn't want to damage the gauges. If I would have left the cover off it probably would be ok, still hits just a little.
3. I advised laying a towel or something down as a catch in case a bolt is dropped.
4. Cables and wires will have to be pulled to get more slack. I loosened the hold down bolts to do this and slid the grommets back in to the proper location before tightening them back down. I actually left the throttle cables out of their clamp and this has not created any problems.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I'm going with the MBL brand. They state a wide version that only moves the bars up 3/4 " and back 1-3/4 " with no inward repositioning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MLB risers

chopin114, let me know how they work out for you, I would like to move the bars back and up, but not in on the ends.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah Id be interested in the outcome of the MBL brand.

Also for me, the width is fine. I want to bring them up around an inch and back around an inch.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts