Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a kit in to move my handle bars back an inch. After putting everything back to together I can not start the bike. It is like the on/off toggle switch is in the off position. Where does the circuit start and end to check for a broke wire. I have most of the front section disassembled at this time trying to get it figured out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/c/honda_motorcycle/parts

Since I am not sure of the year of your bike..... this website has some great exploded views of components.

I am quite sure there is just a plug not engaged completely, they are pretty finicky that way.
Might try unplugging and replugging all of the things you disconnected or even tugged on or even may have tugged on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pulled wires and cables

When I did the same mod, I had to pull the cabling and wire harness a bit through their keepers. I have the same bike. Did you remember to loosen the cable keeper on the right? It is possible you may have broken a wire in the set during installation. You may have to chase the wire set looking for the loose connection and check for continuity. Hope you find it.

·
Premium Member
23,452 Posts
Honda sure didn't leave much slack in any of the cables and wiring . I don't recall any wiring stress issues when I added the risers, but one of the throttle cables had to be left outside the retainer channel and zip tied to the bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put a kit in to move my handle bars back an inch. After putting everything back to together I can not start the bike. It is like the on/off toggle switch is in the off position. Where does the circuit start and end to check for a broke wire. I have most of the front section disassembled at this time trying to get it figured out. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you check the kill switch? Easy to bump, last thing to check. When you turn on the key, do you get the normal sights and sounds? Fuel pump running for a couple of seconds, FI light comes on and goes off after a couple of seconds?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Make sure you routed the wires correctly. They belong on the inside of the fork tube. I couldn't use the rubber strain relief on the cables. Made the too tight. Just wrapped around the wires and put them in the clamp.
Hopefully you didn't break a wire inside the sheath, or pull one of the pins out of the connector or the switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE--After chasing wires for a couple days I did find out I have a couple broken wires in the harness. Instead of fighting it and putting in spliced wire, I opted to put a new harness in. The bike is back together and working great. In fact the cruise control and switches work better than before. Thanks for all the help in navigating the problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Thank you for the update. Glad you are back on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts