Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a front end shimmy at low speeds that only happens occasionally, it seems to be triggered by the ruts or seams in the road and only happens at low speed between 20 and 30-35. It pulls the handle bars back and forth, first just a little, and then the shake builds to a shimmy, so I brake hard and it stops. I cannot feel a problem with front wheel bearings, so then what? Maybe fork bearings? Any input will be appreciated. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
loosen your grip on good pavement at about 30 mph. (let go of handlebar but keep hands close).

If wobble starts and continuously get worse, then your front wheel cupping is a candidate. I have had this on 2 bikes now and it virtually disappeared.

Not saying it is the only possibility but if tire needs replacement, then replace the tire and you will know this for free.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Jack up so the front wheel is off the ground. If you can move the front forks for/aft the steering head bearings and races are probably in dire need of replacing, if you're asking about your 27 year old bike listed in your profile.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Neck bearings or tire cupping my guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies fellas--I was not familiar with wheel "cupping" but I have a new tire waiting--just haven't put it on because the old one still looks good--I will definitely check the fork bearings and mounts also--thanks Jim --84 Aspy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '96 Aspencade used to do that. And just like yours, only at low speeds around 20-30 or so, and only with a sustained speed in that range. Like when going through some small town with a really low speed limit. Above that range it became less and less noticeable. At hiway speds it was completely undetectable. I never did anything about it, it never really bothered me... I very rarely drove in the speed range that it was noticeable in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Think your wing is bad? You should have ridden my old 48 Indian. Now that bike wobbled!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to the world of the goldwing wobble. :eek: Install a new tire and presto the shimmy will disappear, at least for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts