Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I mean literally. Here is my Wing two weeks ago at the entrance to Grand Canyon north rim. It hailed 1/2" hail for 30 minutes straight and I could not continue to ride. Heck, I couildn't even see the car in front of me. Made for a memorable trip for sure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Ouch! Looks like there was no place to hide!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Looks like you should of had snow tires on the Wing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it was Arizona and Utah and I didn't wear a helmet or gloves or gear. Just shorts and a t-shirt. I've been scolded by the MC gods! The ride started at 90 degrees/beautiful and went down hill from there. Here's me picking up the bike about 6 hours later.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Looks like it was snowing.
How big were the hail stones?

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Wow the weather sure went downhill fast! I'm glad you're safe.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Well, it was Arizona and Utah and I didn't wear a helmet or gloves or gear. Just shorts and a t-shirt .
Wow...pure Karma!!! Exactly why I gear up....I can't imagine trying to fight that.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ouch

I live 4 hours north of Toronto and it was 95 degrees Farenheit that day. I am planning on wintering down there. Am I making a mistake???
My praise to you for getting through that ordeal without swearing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sure did hurt. I could tuck behind the windscreen but the hail would bounce around and still hit me in the face. I could tuck my left hand away but had to keep my throttle hand on the bars, obviously, ha ha. That hurt like a swarm of stinging bees on my knuckles and forearms. I eventually gave into the pain and cried. Tears were mingled with water and laughter and nobody knew I was really balling. I have pics somewhere of my hand and forearm all bruised up but it must be in my other camera.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live 4 hours north of Toronto and it was 95 degrees Farenheit that day. I am planning on wintering down there. Am I making a mistake???
My praise to you for getting through that ordeal without swearing.
My uncle Cliff from Oregon snowbirds down in the Phoenix, AZ area. There are just portions of this area that is prone to the monsoon season. I believe that the area around Phoenix is pretty nice, albeit, very hot.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I can't imagine riding in hail and that kind of weather in shorts, tee shirts and no gloves.
I am sure glad you got through it.

I could hardly believe that you would run into that in July.... so I had to put it to the test:

All kidding aside... I understand the bad weather thing...

That looks like my bike on Deadman's Pass in April. I was riding in the snow tracks at 30 mph with trucks passing me in the other lane at 65. My bike tires were in the track.... but my trailer tires were pushing snow or plowing their own track.

My heart was in my throat..... but I was dressed for it. I had my electric vest and gloves on. That little boy inside of me kept calling out.... DANGER, DANGER..... DANGER.

I learned a long time ago that if I leave the house in shorts and a tee... that I have pants and a coat in the saddlebag. It goes the other way too... if I am all dressed up for warmth, I make sure I have room in the saddlebags for take offs.

Here is what I think your riding looks like if you burn a tire off in less than 4,000 miles:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts