Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the Wing for only 3 days and had to lay her down on my way to the Harley shop for an American flag for the back. I got up at 4 AM this morn gong to the garage at 4:45 to finish the detailing and to tighten up any nuts and bolts that may be loose. I found everything tight and it good condition. Around 3 PM I dropped her off the stand and rolled into the drive. Hum this bike has to have an American flag. So off to the local Harley shop to get one. On the way there I went up RT 611 to the first light before the RT 90 over pass. I'm not a hard rider so by the time I got to the light at the 3 lane off ramp; about 1200 feet I was going about 25 and had a green light. Just as I got to the light a very nice young man who was stopped in the center lane of 3 decided to hit it and go through the red. He had to pee, very cool! Only one thing to do hard right and into the first lane of the ramp while laying her down. Fortunately only one car coming and he was a couple of hundred feet away. It happened so fast the only thing I remember was throw the left leg over and roll off the bike. The bike only went about 8 feet but I rolled off the pavement to the guard rail. I got right up and went to the bike Phew no damage. Glad I watched all the videos about picking up a Wing. She started right up so I backed her off the ramp. So I guess I'm very lucky to A- not loosing my life and B- not hurting a bike I've waited to have since they came out. So I saddled back and rode off the the Harley shop. First accessory Whoo Haaaaaaaaa! Next real riding ware and MORE LIGHTS AND MORE LIGHTS.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
that was close, glad you're alright and that your new wing wasn't hurt either

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Glad your OK there bud. Welcome to the "laid 'er down" club. Best to get it over right away. Just glad you weren't hurt. Its a dang jungle out there and I don't know whether these people don't see you or just don't care. Good part about the GW is that a tip over is usually not destructive. Glad your ok. Isaac

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not including trail riding- doesn't count I laid one down in 1976. Simi pulled out in front of me while going 50 on my 1969 Honda Dream. Only choice lay it down and ride it under the trailer. Ruined my new roll bar and quit riding for 27 years. Then my dear wife an me got a Honda 250 Reflex to take when we used our motor home. I go knocked over on it in a camp by a drunk in a pickup 2 cracked ribs but I still played my upright bass all night with lots of Alieve hmm and shine LOL. So If I'm cat like I have 6 more chances!:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Happy your alright. Good that the bike is fine too !!!!

It happens so fast. I also, laid one down, but mine was the Honda VTX 1300. Car pull out on me, I threw it down and rode it out.
No broke bones, exposed bones, and stiches all in arms, legs, and foot.
Done 7K $ in cosmetic and accessory damage.

Hurt my feelings.
I now can see a horsefly a mile away pulling out. It will train you fast.

And folks want to know why I get so mad at the cell phone drivers.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Glad your okay. Bikes can be fixed a lot easier than people. Ride safe..

·
Registered
674 Posts
It is amazing to me that this kid had to relieve himself is the reason he ran a red light and put everyone in harms way. I am glad you escaped injury.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Getting her broke in Nohandles? Man are you lucky.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nice to meet you this morning and glad to hear you and your ride survived. It takes a lot of good training and some fortune telling to survive out on the streets nowadays. Pratice, practice and more practice in an empty parking lot pays off greatly. I've found though, the bigger the bike, the less close calls I've had.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Man, that does sound like a very close call. I had a senior citizen (that's defined as anyone older than me) decide to turn left from the far right lane of a six lane undivided road in the middle of the block (no signal, no warning, no nothing) just as I was approaching the back of his car in the center lane on my VTX 1300 a few years ago. I was hot as hell, but decided to just keep riding for a couple of reasons. First of all, this gentleman was truly getting along in years, I'm guessing he was somewhere in his 80's and I am sure he didn't see me. Secondly, he made that left turn across six lanes of traffic to get into a church parking lot. I figured he wouldn't be going there on a weekday unless he was needing to pray pretty bad, and I figured some big, P.O.ed motorcycle rider yelling at him wasn't going to improve his driving or his day. Or mine, for that matter. So, I let it ride and said a small prayer for him and myself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a great meeting this morning with the GWRRA Ohio chapter P I hurried home in the puddle jumper to finish the final cleaning of the machine. Even the under belly is spotless now. Yes I'm as retentive as they come. But while working I took a piece of paper and started a list of everything to watch for while riding today.

#1 people with a cell phone in their head and hand, What a surprise!
And the list goes on and on. Then after patching the muffler leak- and she runs 100% better I took it to the community college and practiced figure 8's, low speed circles, slow straight lines, squares, hard breaking in a straight line, breaking in a curve and anything I could think of that might help in another situation. The campus police came to ask me sir what are you doing? I exclaimed; learning to handle my machine in case someone else has to pee! LOL:D;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I'll be the one to ask:
What kind of american flag can one buy @ a Harley store that will mount on a Wing?
It had a clamp that fit my luggage rack. I will post some pictures. soon sorry for the delay. I spend the day cleaning until I was to tired to move it out to the drive and photograph it.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I like the Harley shop. They actually have chromed " metal " stuff. I bought my chromed metal license plate holder there.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The wing has great crash bars, you can lay it down and not hurt it if your not going real fast. I think you HONDA knew you were taking it to a HARLEY shop and was rebelling!! You can get an American flag from other places than a Harley shop!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts