Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it had to happen sooner or later. If you don't already know, this is my first Wing. I have had bikes most of my life and have experience but nothing compared to this Beast.

I found my self in a situation where I had to make a Uturn this evening. No problem, I have made this same uturn several times, even a few times on the wing.
There was nothing difficult about it. I am in a turn lane and making a uturn into a fairly wide 2 lane smooth concrete road. I have scanned where I am going, sun is bright but I could see fine I thought!
Light turns to my green arrow, all traffic is clear and I take of with confidence using the friction zone and in the middle of the turn I see something that looks like a soda can smashed flat like paper and almost the color of the road.
I panicked knowing what could happen if my front tire ran over it so I hurky jerky swung a little wider to miss it. Well I was too wide and no way I could make the turn. So I stood the bike up and flopped it over to the right into the empty oncoming lane and turned into the bank on the corner.

I rode around back and found some shade and waited till I knew all the 50 cars at that intersection were gone! I felt like a complete idiot!

I have gotten pretty good and confident at low speed maneuvers on the wing and I usually don't react like I did today. But for some reason I panicked when I saw that can.

I walked up to the intersection to look at reflect on it. I can not see why I shouldn't have been able to avoid that can and still make the turn, There was plenty of room to go either way around it. I guess I was looking so hard at it trying to figure out what it was that when I reacted, I really wasn't sure where in the turn I was. I saw a way out and that was and instant flopp to the right and take the other road.

I make it a point to practice every day. I ride the wing to work when weather permits. On the way to and from work and at lunch, I find every "long way around" I can. through parking lots making slow speed turns. Side streets, neighborhoods, ect.

I am going to get back into finding a nice quiet parking lot on weekends and practice some more. I tell ya what though, this wing is a beast when you let it try to take control from you! I have not come anywhere close to dropping it or anything up till today........well ok, there was that time 2 up with the wife at the gas pump and diesel was all over the ground, but I kept it up!

And before anyone says it, I know, "there are two kinds of bikers, those who have dropped it and those who will"
I have had a few drops and road rash in my day so I have had mine! I do not intend on dropping this one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Buzzy,
Don't feel bad. I just dropped mine last week while on vacation in smokey mountains, I tried to turn around in a steep parking lot 2 up and thats when it happened. I just tipped over.
I really tried to hold it up but at that angle and the weight of the bike there was no way. I felt like an idiot too, luckly there was no damage to thre bike thanks to my highway pegs, thats what the bike landed on.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the way that you handled the situation, Buzzy. No need to feel like an idiot, as you kept control of the bike as you evaded what you percieved as an obstacle. Sounds like a rider in control to me...

Rapier

·
Registered
217 Posts
Buzzy...I know how you feel...me and my wife pulled into a resturant last year...the parking lot was up hill...I turned crossways on the hill and pulled into a parking spot....I put my foot down and hit the oil spot...all I could say was honey...were going down...that was not even the worst part...we (I) did it in front of a crowd of people waiting outside the resturant door to be seated....talk about looking foolish...:(

Only good thing about it...I was able to lay the bike down...not even a scratch...:)

Glad to see you were able to manuver through the tough situation...

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
You should not have been going the wrong way in the first place. I suggest you open an account at that bank and let it be your destination point. keep the minimum balance required to keep the account open. Once your in the parking lot, wait until all traffic that saw you turn into the bank has cleared, then be on your merry way.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
The secret is to look at where you want to go and not at the object. If you focus on a object in the road you will steer towards it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you drop your bike in front of a crowd just do like the guy on the you-tube video and act like you always park it that way, take off your gear and go into the store!!!:cool: This can only be done in a parking lot of course.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should not have been going the wrong way in the first place. I suggest you open an account at that bank and let it be your destination point. keep the minimum balance required to keep the account open. Once your in the parking lot, wait until all traffic that saw you turn into the bank has cleared, then be on your merry way.
LMAO..........I knew I could count on you Chop to figure out a sure fire way to avoind this same situation again!

If you drop your bike in front of a crowd just do like the guy on the you-tube video and act like you always park it that way, take off your gear and go into the store!!!:cool: This can only be done in a parking lot of course.
Now this would be funny as hell! I have a buddy who rides a beat up 1200 Sportster. This thing looks like it was drug behind a truck down a gravel road all day!
I would buy a beater just so I could spend a weekend doing that and get it on film! Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Buzzy,

I've had bikes for what seems like eons. Never had a bad accident (other than hitting a deer) but this one might make you laugh.

When I was in my 20's. Pulled into my Raquetball Club. You may remember when Raquet ball was the craze?

Anyway, I pull in on my Honda CB750, loud pipes, custom paint etc. I am so cool - check me out! Coming out of the club are two extremely hot looking girls. So I'm thinking, here I am, on a cool bike, in a lot better shape than I am now. YOO-HOO, girls, check me out. I whip in, back into a parking spot. rev the engine a couple times. Girls are right near me. Don't I look cool girls?

I get off the bike and forget to put the kickstand down!!! BAM! It hits the ground, still running! I wished I was invisible at this point. I was beyond red, probably purple at this point.

I pick it right up (thank God for adrenaline), hop right on it and tear out of there. It was a few weeks before I went back, and I drove my car to the club from then on.

I am still getting used to handling my '10 Wing (BEAST). Does anyone notice it's easier to turn one way than another at real slow speeds? I am right handed. Left turns are a cake walk, but I feel awkward making real tight right turns at parking lot speed. Maybe I just need some more practice?

Hope this made you laugh! I am sure all of us have a story to tell.
Rob

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Hea RKPOOO I am right handed also and find it harder to make slow right handed turns.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I also wondered why the left turn is more comfortable than the right turn. Any south paws find the reverse true ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did a bit of searching (Google) and found this.
"When we make a left turn, we tend to lean to our left a bit which straightens our right arm and puts it at a comfortable angle to twist the throttle. In a right hand turn, when we lean our body to the right, we bend our right arm a bit more and it makes it a little less comfortable to control the throttle.
Being right handed, it feels better to stretch that right arm while leaning to the left. A left handed person will feel more comfortable stretching his left arm in a right hand turn."

Sounds plausible to me.
Rob

·
Registered
132 Posts
I dropped mine, 65 minutes after the salesman told me it was only a matter of when and not if, (to drop). Not at all used to the bike, we stopped at a traffic light. I asked my wife on the back for a sip of her drink. I l leaned one way, she leaned the same way.....asphalt city. Several people rushed out of the cars to help the old man..The bike made it without a scratch....Oh wifey O.K. too

·
Registered
835 Posts
I took off with my better half on an 800 mile vacation the other day. Within 2 miles of leaving, I stopped at a light and Betsy slowly laid down. My wife sprang off the back and within a few minutes, we were uprighted and on our way. Two minutes later, we stopped for a coffee and when I put my lid back on, there was a mouse in it. :eek:
Other than my hand grips melting in a construction zone (95 deg), it was a pleasureable trip.
Bike ran like a top!
Strat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts