Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just attended my first local chapter GWRRA meeting. Very Awkward:(...I wore my Goldwing jacket to help with confusion, however, the membership person that contacted me was not in attendance. No one spoke to me. I finally ask a man if the membership guy was there and suggested I may be in the wrong place. He said "the guy isn't here but this is the GWRRA meeting" and walked away. I was looked at like an intruder. Bare in mind, I am 43, and there was a major gap in age with the folks in attendance. Maybe that was the problem... Nonetheless, I told some guys to let the membership person know I was there and left. Very disappointed, but I am sure not all chapters are the same.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I would guess that you went to a dysfunctional Chapter. I spoke to some members regarding some chapters are healthy and some are too stale. It depends on the recruitment process that brings in new members.

There is no mandatory retirement age for GWRRA membership........

I attended my first function, which was the Washington State Annual Convention....and I met several very active members there. I was treated very well and I didn't feel "alone in a group."

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I know how you feel every time I walk up to my bike people think I’m stealing it (I just turned 35)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess that you went to a dysfunctional Chapter. I spoke to some members regarding some chapters are healthy and some are too stale. It depends on the recruitment process that brings in new members.

I attended my first function, which was the Washington State Annual Convention....and I met several very active members there. I was treated very well and I didn't feel "alone in a group."

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area.
You may be right....Their website is seldom updated. The latest newsletter they show is from May. However, I am certain there are some great folks in there. I just didn't meet them.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I think you owe yourself an other try at the same chapter. It can take a while to establish friendship. A lot of people take awhile before they warm to new people. Some older people take a little longer to strike up with anyone they do not know. But once you get onto something you both like you may not be able to shut him up. Then I don't think age will come into it. Best of luck with it Eric

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I've been around GWRRA since January or 93, and can say where ever I attended a GWRRA function it has been fun and was made to feel welcome. Some of us are getting a little long in the tooth but I've never seen it make a difference.
The one time I seen where a fellow wasn't made to feel welcome was his own doing. Sticker with Dirty comment pasted on his Helmet, his T shirt had ( If you can read this the B_ _ _H fell off.) Plus he had a bad case of Potty Mouth, didn't care who was around. Maybe he was just trying to show us how bad he was. None of us claimed to be Saints but he didn't set well with any of us.
Give them anbother try or maybe there is another chapter close by.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know how you feel every time I walk up to my bike people think I’m stealing it (I just turned 35)
That's is the funniest comment I've read all day :D. Thanks for the chuckle; I needed it. Still chuckling...

·
Registered
280 Posts
...snipped...

...snipped...
I don't know if you meant that to be funny, but it was. Sorry, don't know why I'm getting such a kick out of the age-related comments and Wings; I guess I'm just easily tickled today :)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Like everything, you're going to find disappointments when there are groups of people involved. The majority of chapters I'm sure are warm and very welcoming to new and enquiring future members. sadly, there are somei=times going to be cliques within groups, and the larger and more wide spread the groups are, the chances of this are greater. I've even heard of a chapter that frowns on members with the 'wrong' colour of Wing; pretty sure the regional director would have issues with that one. My expeiences with GWRRA have been so close to 100% positive that I can't say I ever had a bad experience. Didn't always 'like' every member I've met since 1984, but certainly didn't meet anyone that was rude or discordial. Second chance is defo in order IMO, and if that follows the same pattern of the first meeting, there's always other chapters.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Been there got those looks Camer! I'm just a couple of years ahead of ya, and I'm frequently told I'm not old enough to be a wing rider.

Efinref, as has been said try another chapter close by, there are several chapters in my area and i tend to find that each chapter has a different out look and attitude.

Larry i too was laughing at the "retirement age" thing.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Efinref , i am 58 yrs.old and moved to Athens a couple years ago . I have been to the Shoney's when the Goldwing group was there and i have been parked right beside them many times and not one person has acknowledged a hello or how are you to this day ! I don't think it is age , it is a matter of people who have known one another for years and they have their little clique and the club is pretty much closed to others that don't attend their church or work with them etc ! I admit i would not help a one of them if i saw them on the side of the road ! I am not that kind of person , but i won't bow down to anyone , regardless of their community standing or anything else ! I don't feel the urge to help someone who can't speak when spoken too !

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am 54 and can tell you for sure not all chapters are unfriendly. I am not even a member of the GWRRA yet. But I saw that the Freeland Michigan chapter V get together every Tuesday evening and take a short ride somewhere. So a couple of weeks ago I rode out to where they meet and as soon as I walked into the place everyone started saying hi and welcome to me. I can honestly say I never felt better about walking into the middle of a bunch of strangers than I did there.
jerry

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've been around GWRRA since January or 93, and can say where ever I attended a GWRRA function it has been fun and was made to feel welcome. Some of us are getting a little long in the tooth but I've never seen it make a difference.
The one time I seen where a fellow wasn't made to feel welcome was his own doing. Sticker with Dirty comment pasted on his Helmet, his T shirt had ( If you can read this the B_ _ _H fell off.) Plus he had a bad case of Potty Mouth, didn't care who was around. Maybe he was just trying to show us how bad he was. None of us claimed to be Saints but he didn't set well with any of us.
Give them anbother try or maybe there is another chapter close by.
Ron
Thats the thing...I'm not one of those image type of riders. I have taught 7th graders for 20 years. It would be impossible for me to pull off that type of image. The only leather I own is gloves and my helmets don't have a sticker. I wear proper gear and more apt to have on a pair of khakis than bluejeans.
I didn't want hugs....a mere hello or can I help you would have been sufficient.
I really enjoy everything about my wing and wanted to be a part of a group that felt the same. The folks on this forum have been wonderful and I guess I thought I would encounter similar people.
Thanks for the advice...I am member of GWRRA#342499...just not a Chapter. There is another Chapter a little farther away that have made a stronger move to recruit that I may give a visit.:)

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Well I have limited experience with the GWRRA, but, the time that I have has been very positive. I met several members this past weekend that have 30 years of experience with the GWRRA. They were very gracious and approachable. So much so, that I feel confident in my decision to promote membership.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups to find folks who ride wings in your area.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
EFINREF; If you have the Gold Book look around in there. I exchange e-mails with a Jim Jackson ( GWRRA) from someplace in Alabama, northeast area I think. If you run into him tell him Ron Sent you. If you want to PM me some Contact information I'll pass it onto Jim, he is very active in GWRRA down there.
Ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
That’s the beauty of the wing, no need to ride in a group, your trusty steed will get you there. Besides, it’s a bit tough to carry any speed when you’re in parade mode.:eek::eek::eek:

Just attended my first local chapter GWRRA meeting. Very Awkward:(...I wore my Goldwing jacket to help with confusion, however, the membership person that contacted me was not in attendance. No one spoke to me. I finally ask a man if the membership guy was there and suggested I may be in the wrong place. He said "the guy isn't here but this is the GWRRA meeting" and walked away. I was looked at like an intruder. Bare in mind, I am 43, and there was a major gap in age with the folks in attendance. Maybe that was the problem... Nonetheless, I told some guys to let the membership person know I was there and left. Very disappointed, but I am sure not all chapters are the same.

·
Registered
141 Posts
GWRRA chapters are under obigation of sorts to actively recrute and make new folks feel welcome. It sure would be worth another try, find who is heading up the meeting and make sure they know you are there. I have just been a member of our local chapter since January (bought my first Wing 11 months ago) and have yet to ride anywhere with them, my fault, not theirs. Too many schedule conflicts, and the chapter is located almost 50 miles away. Regardless, they are a great group and make us feel welcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Efinref , i am 58 yrs.old and moved to Athens a couple years ago . I have been to the Shoney's when the Goldwing group was there and i have been parked right beside them many times and not one person has acknowledged a hello or how are you to this day ! I don't think it is age , it is a matter of people who have known one another for years and they have their little clique and the club is pretty much closed to others that don't attend their church or work with them etc ! I admit i would not help a one of them if i saw them on the side of the road ! I am not that kind of person , but i won't bow down to anyone , regardless of their community standing or anything else ! I don't feel the urge to help someone who can't speak when spoken too !
I been there and done that BUT no matter where you go for the most part there are nice and ugly people.
I am 72 and was a GWRRA member when I was 47 but left after I was too old to be a member (joke) at 53.
Now I ride with several riders I have met here in Englewood, Fl.
Some great & some just OK but all nice. Age range from 30s to me 72 YO. Don`t give up on the GWRRA. It is a good organization.:)

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Another advantage of riding with the GWRRA this weekend was the use of the CB. We had 10 bikes heading up to Mt. St. Helens. It was nice knowing that everyone made through the intersection or if there was something up on the road. Deciding to stop at a view point was easy to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts