Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, my wife and I loaded up the Wing and left our little village for Olds Alberta to visit with some friends. With rain and thunder showers forcast for the entire day, my significant other was less than optimistic about the ride, but I told her she could ride with me or drive the car, so that pretty much sealed the deal. While we did get showered a bit along the way, some creative routing on my part saved us from having to don the rainsuits and suffer any deluges. About five hours later we rolled into our friends' driveway completely dry, if a little wind-blown. My wife's HJC IS33 lid is no picnic in a stiff crosswind. I was wearing my Arai ff in case of heavy rain, so I didn't have that issue. The wind was so strong in places that it jerked her helmet enough to pull the earbuds right out of her ears!
Sunday, I hooked up with the Chapter C group from Red Deer/Innisfail Ab for the second annual "Bug Run". It's a simple enough idea, just get some (a strip of 3 for $5, and they're about the size of a dime) coloured stickie dots and place them 'strategically' on your bike and off we go for a 200km ride in the central Alberta countryside to collect bugs. Any direct hit on a dot scores a point and the rider with the most points at the end of the ride wins the prize. Should be a no brainer here in bug central right? Hah! At the halfway mark, not a single bug mark on a dot on any bike to be found, and very few adorned the windshields and visors either. What gives here? Normally you can't ride to the 7-11 without getting splattered this time of year! Anyway, at the endo of it all, two riders tied with the most bugs (one each!!!) and our chapter hosts treated us all to a fine meal of salads, beans, and roast beef on a bun (thanks a bunch to Vickie and Terry for their warm hospitality and fabulous cooking). It was a beautiful day for a ride, and the gang all had a great time.
After it was over, I saddled up for the remainder of my return home leg (had another 4 hours of riding left) but it was a fantastic outing. I'd post pictures, but some doofus forgot the camera on the kitchen counter when he left home

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
What a simply way of having some fun.I have never heard of a bug run but I think I will get one organized here down under.And yes I did the same trick with camera when we rode to the river land to go on a ballon ride. Neadless to say the photos were not good

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Sounds like a great time. Sorry the dufus forgot the camera, sure would like to see some of that northern countryside. I may swipe the idea for use down here also.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I could never enter that "bug" contest. I'm always wiping off the bike when it gets a bug splatter on it. I'd end up with the cleanest bike and no bugs. Sounds like fun though. We will have to take your word since there are no pics.... Ride safe and enjoy..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts