Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have the CB option on my 2010 GW bike...I am taking two trips coming up in late Sept & Oct...The other bikers have the CB option...

Two Questions:

1) Is it worth getting when traveling with other riders...?

2) How does it work...obviously the sound (voices) can come through the speakers...(or does it not???) but do you need a head set to talk back or is there a hidden mic on the bike that I am not aware of...?

If you need a head set...what do people recommend...the CB and attenna is already costing $700...running out of money fast....

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you travel with others I think it's a must have.
You need a headset to talk to others, you can hear the CB from either outside speakers or helmet speakers what ever you pick, You can get a headset that will do the job for under $100.00. The higher price the headset the better sound quality you will have. I have a $79.00 J&M headset in one of my helmets and a $229.00 headset in the other and they sound the same to me, The volume in the $229.00 is louder but I just raise the CB volume when I wear my other helmet, not a big deal.Here is a great deal on a J&M headset
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2310_JM_Goldwing_Helmet_Headset_HS8154B_Open_Full

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's the exact headset I have in my helmet and it works just as well as my wife's Hondaline set. In fact it looks idnetical to hers when I installed them both (except for the fact that my 'el-cheapo' J&M has ear pads and hers doesn't) and they are both made by J&M. The instructions on mine were clearer and more detailed than the Hondaline set too. Like Joe says, I can't tell the difference. Spend the $67 and git 'er done!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Watch for a used one. There is one for sale now over on the gl1800riders.com board.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I do not have the CB option on my 2010 GW bike...I am taking two trips coming up in late Sept & Oct...The other bikers have the CB option...

Two Questions:

1) Is it worth getting when traveling with other riders...?
That is a decision you need to make. In my case yes, as I am usually either the road captain or the tail gunner on most group rides I participate in.

2) How does it work...obviously the sound (voices) can come through the speakers...(or does it not???) but do you need a head set to talk back or is there a hidden mic on the bike that I am not aware of...?
There is a transmit lever on the left handlebar control console that must be depressed to transmit. Complete instructions will come w/the radio.

If you need a head set...what do people recommend
Take your pick at this web sight
http://www.sierra-mc.com/categories.asp?cat=357

...the CB and antenna is already costing $700...running out of money fast....
Labor day sale @
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258744&highlight=labor+sale
Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

Safe Ride...
Info for you
There are 3 noise filters that should come w/the radio.
In most cases, the SWR needs to be tuned and will improve you talk distance if done.
The Honda CB should be plug & play except for a hole that must be drilled in the trunk for the wiring to pass through. A right angle drill can be used for this and then there is no need to remove the trunk from the bike as the instructions indicate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In most cases, the SWR needs to be tuned and will improve you talk distance if done.
What is the SWR...? and how do you tune it....if you purchase the CB/Attenna/headset...let say from Wingstuff....?

Thanks for the input to date.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have heard a rumor that Honda is coming out with a Honda built trike. Anybody know anything about this?
Post #1 Welcome
Although this thread is about CB's, no on knows what Honda will do until they do it. Honda keeps secrets very well!
Would like for a CB to be standard as on the Harley Ultras! Would think the cost would be much less if all Wings had one as OEM.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TFDeputyDawg...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK...I went to all the sites to purchase a J&M headset...all of the head sets geared towards half helmets are $150+ :( Now I have to decide whether or not to buy a new helment...thank God I have the bike already :D I think I will use the old one...two finger communications versus the CB/headset.... :eek:

No I am not just sitting around on a very beautiful day sending postings...I sending posts in-between each layer of wax...stuck at work waxing the floors...as the owner I am not sure why I am doing it...?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You can listen to the CB over the bike speakers until such a time as you decide what headsets to buy.
There are some good prices on E-bay now and then, also in the classified section over on the gl1800riders.com forum
Direct Line Parts has a Labor Day Sale on right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks

thanks TFDeputyDawg i have been looking for a very long time for the best price and that was it so i took the plunge now all i have to do is get it in right .Dosen't look to bad to do Thanks this is a great site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts