Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 08 GW that the rpm surges on decel. With clutch in the rpm will drop to about 500 and surge back up. It is hunting for the correct rpm. If I decel with the clutch engaged there is no problem. With the clutch in it seems like the engine is trying to shut down and really impacts smoothe downshifting. Actually acceled when braking the other day.

It is at the stealership now and as expected he says this is normal and all of them do that!!!!????!!! Has anyone else had this problem?
Suggestions???

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
take it back to the dealer you got it from

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It is not normal. ask him toi let you ride another one and see if it does it, my 08 doesn't do it. Have you tried resetting the ECM unit?
From a cold start, let the bike idle, without touching the throttle, until the fans come on. Shut the key off and restart. The ECM has been reset.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 08 in idle on a cold start surges and lags the dealer said it was normal. I have not experienced it effecting me in gear though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The EMC might need resetting. What you do is put it in nuteral on the stand and let it idle until the fans kick on then turn it off with the key (not the kill switch) and the problem is supposed to be solved.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, mine used to do that. I didn't reset the EMC but someone on this forum suggested that it would gradually disappear once the motor got a few miles on it and it did. Lyndon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the inputs. I will try the ecm thing. Also, I am switching to gasoline that DOES NOT have ethanol in it and am calling HONDA customer service. A friend of mine has the same problem also but he just lives with it. It is a shame to have a seemingly built in problem that "all of them do it". Sumpin' ain't right in the system.

It is aggravating to have a Honda service manager tell me there is nothing wrong with the bike without doing any kind of test, just ride it around the block---then ask if I had roadside assistance and recommended if I did not like the bike to sell it. I thought when I left Kawasaki I had left this kind of association with a dealership behind. Over the years I have never had an issue with a Honda bike nor had to return one for a complaint so it is a new feeling. Guess maybe they are all alike. As long as there is no problem---well---there is no problem.

Thanks for the inputs and I too hope it just goes away but normally the "goes away" part is our familiarity with the condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts