Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 99 1500 GW yesterday. Cosmetically, it's pretty much flawless, as it was garage kept and covered. It only had 4300 mi. when I bought it. The previous owner had been using an additive for the gas tank that is both a cleaner and a stabilizer when the bike was not being used (can't remember the product name). Anyway, he had not ridden it in a while before he decided to sell it, and it would not start. I'm sure it could have used a carburetor cleaning, but I'm told a shop will charge around $1000 to do that onn a 1500 and he didn't want to spend the money ... he ending up spraying some kind of product (cleaner I would imagine- maybe the same stuff he had used as the stabilizer/cleaner) into the carbs to kind of prime it to get it started. That got it started and now it will start and run, the only noticeable problem is an idle that will began to fall off and then surge upward to about 1500 or 2000 rpm's before settling back around 1000. I does that every few seconds or so. There is also a little bit of hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop, in first gear. Once it gets moving, it runs well and smoothly and seems to accelerate without problems all the way through the rpm's in each gear. But... I've noticed that when the tank gets low, like close to the 'E', it begins to hesitate quite a bit accelarating from a stop and also after it's up to speed. I understand and would expect carb issues as well as the rough idle, with not having been ridden much over the years, but I don't understand why it seems to run and overall perform pretty well when the tank has plenty of gas in it but hesitate a lot when there is not as much gas in the tank. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Paul.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
It sounds as though you have some water in the tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The stay-bil is good but you should store your bike over the winter with a full tank to stop condensation. I agree could be water. Also, if there is any sediment in the tank. It conecentrates as the gas goes out of the tank. Had a car that did the same. The lower it got, the more sediment got close to the inlet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that's what I was thinking... I initially thought maybe it was sediment and water sounds like a possibility too. But the only thing is that I ran it down to empty twice while driving it home from where I bought it. I was hoping it just needed to be ridden and I plan to take it on a road trip soon with the hopes that it will be performing better by the time I get back. I think I might just remove the tank just to make sure it's clean and take a look at the fuel filter too, but since I've already ran gas through it I'm not sure if that will do anything or not. I appreciate your help... any other suggestions on what could be causing it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not really. I would definitely change the filter though. Just putting sta-bil in the tank wont keep the carbs clean if he didn't run it through them. Sta-bil is certainly no guarantee either. As you run more gas through it, things break loose and cause little problems. They should work themselves through though. Only other alternative is a carb teardown, clean and rebuild. Just did that today myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are able to run the bike now, chances are that the troubles should work themselves out. I see your from Houston. I used to live on the west side towards Katy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would run a half can of Sea foam through it, then run another tank through..and again with the other half of the Sea Foam on the 3rd tank; This is a double edged sword though!:eek:
If there is rust or other junk in there it may be loosened up and make it's way into the carbs, cheap peace of mind..I would replace the fuel filter after each tank with the Sea Foam. It may sound excessive,but, it's better to catch it there than in the carbs.;)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
That is an average of 360 miles a year. Most likely, all of those miles were in the first few years of its life.

It just needs to be ridden. Keep the tanks topped off... and keep the tires spinning.

If this problem continues, call me to dispose of this bike. It probably isn't worth screwing around with. I would use it for parts. Let me know.... I would get it out of your way for ya.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are able to run the bike now, chances are that the troubles should work themselves out. I see your from Houston. I used to live on the west side towards Katy.
Yes, and I pulled out my Hanes manual and realized how much is involved just to get the tank off of the 1500. For now I am going to stick with plan A (Just Ride It!). It just threw me when the performance suffered so much on a low tank of gas, but seems to perform well when the tank is not low. Yes, I'm from Houston and I know Katy well. Houston is a good place (opportunities, jobs, lots of things to do, etc.) and not too far from the Hill Country, but I've been through WV and I can understand why you would go there. I enjoyed riding through WV.

That is an average of 360 miles a year. Most likely, all of those miles were in the first few years of its life.

It just needs to be ridden. Keep the tanks topped off... and keep the tires spinning.

If this problem continues, call me to dispose of this bike. It probably isn't worth screwing around with. I would use it for parts. Let me know.... I would get it out of your way for ya.
HA! Nice try! You would be envious if you saw it. It looks like it's brand new, like it never made it out of the dealer's showroom. It truly is one of those "hidden gems".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts