Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck can the GVWR of the 12 wing be 1186. The bike weights between 900 and 933 ... my 230 lbs would eat up all the remaining capacity. I dont know of many adults weighing ~125 each .. then
gear !! ??? Huh ???:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
That's why I ride a car tire on the rear. It gives me an additional 200 lbs more load rating than the motorcycle tire. Either lose your tire or get a better rated tire.:p

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's why I ride a car tire on the rear. It gives me an additional 200 lbs more load rating than the motorcycle tire. Either lose your tire or get a better rated tire.:p
Good point on the CT. I have never thought of it that way.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
There does seem to be some discrepancy between the max load rating and what we find riding Wings out there in the real world. I see no reason why Honda would put such a rather large seat on the Wing if she had no intentions of seeing her filled up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
GVWR, huh ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How the heck can the GVWR of the 12 wing be 1186. The bike weights between 900 and 933 ... my 230 lbs would eat up all the remaining capacity. I dont know of many adults weighing ~125 each .. then
gear !! ??? Huh ???
Okay I'm sorry I have to jump in here because I see the "Car Tire Cult" got hold of this thread an although I love them they didn't really answer your question directly.

Goldwings have always had that disparity. Something Mother Honda does. If you check GVWR on any of the models you'll find the same results. They cover their butts.

I know with Myself, the little lady, and all our gear we exceed the GVWR by quite a bit & never have had an issue. It's the same as when it comes to a trailer. The manuals (at least on early models) will tell you that you are not to tow anything, yet many do with no issues.

Having said all that there is truth to what the C.T.C. is saying as far as the load rating on the C.T. it is more than the M.T.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Honda is just covering their butt!! Check out the amount of weight they say you can carry in the pockets and the trunk, it adds up to almost nothing. Almost every Gold Wing out there, 2 up is probably over weight limits.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One more reason to watch your tire pressures, regardless of what skin you have on the wheel. We all carry more weight than the specs say we should and proper inflation is just one more safety factor on our side.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
One more reason to watch your tire pressures, regardless of what skin you have on the wheel. We all carry more weight than the specs say we should and proper inflation is just one more safety factor on our side.
I run 32 psi. in my rear Kumho car tire. At that pressure it is still 200 lbs over the load rating of a motorcycle tire. I can run mine up to 50 lbs max. But why ? Anything above 32 psi (cold ) gives my passenger a rather hard and bumpy ride. At 40 psi. she would arrive at the intersection before me. :) No fooling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am not going to say anything about the CT. I have my own engineering reasons for not doing it and that's all I am going to say. It's not really the tire that limits your GVWR. It's the rear spring. With your bodies in the seats the weight is distributed front and rear, more on the rear but maybe 35% is on the front. The stock rear spring on a Wing is rated at 900# per inch. That means it takes 900# pounds to compress it one inch. The preload adjustment will move the spring aprox 14.7 mm so set at 25 (with the proper hose and bled right) that will add another 450+ pounds to move the spring that same inch So add that up and you get the max the bike should carry comfortably including the bike of course. Honda lightens that up for their own reasons. If you want, or need to carry more weight you would need the progressive rear spring that is rated at 1100# per inch. But like was stated on here many Wings are over that without issue so it's all up to the individual rider.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I am not going to say anything about the CT. I have my own engineering reasons for not doing it and that's all I am going to say. It's not really the tire that limits your GVWR. It's the rear spring. With your bodies in the seats the weight is distributed front and rear, more on the rear but maybe 35% is on the front. The stock rear spring on a Wing is rated at 900# per inch. That means it takes 900# pounds to compress it one inch. The preload adjustment will move the spring aprox 14.7 mm so set at 25 (with the proper hose and bled right) that will add another 450+ pounds to move the spring that same inch So add that up and you get the max the bike should carry comfortably including the bike of course. Honda lightens that up for their own reasons. If you want, or need to carry more weight you would need the progressive rear spring that is rated at 1100# per inch. But like was stated on here many Wings are over that without issue so it's all up to the individual rider.
A car tire will not increase you're pay load max on the bike " per se ", it will only increase your bike's load weight on the tire "'per se " . Tireless bikes would not have this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts