Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 20 years ago I rode over 1,150 miles in Nevada and California in fewer than 24 hours, and on a 1980 Suzuki GS850GL, including riding through Death Valley alone in mid-May in mid-day. Back then I was simply indestructible, well at least in my own mind!:eek:

I'm meeting my brother-in-law and his brother, both from Washington State in Sturgis, SD on Aug. 6-8, and either riding with them as far as Sheridan, WY where I'll veer off for the Western Meet and Greet in Kalispell, MT or heading north from Sturgis to visit Dickenson/Williston, ND for business (gotta work sometime!:D) and then perhaps heading to Kalispell. If I'm able to swing the Meet and Greet in MT (time and money,) I should do an Iron Butt ride home. It's over 1,200 miles from Kalispell, MT to my home in Minnesota, and averaging 75-80 mph is no problem in MT and ND. Shoot, I might be home in 15 hours, right?!

Appreciate someone showing me the IBA ropes. I'll be your Iron Butt Buddy!:eek::D

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Go on the web site it was alot of help and everyone here that has done it knows what is helpfull. I hope to do the 1K and the 1500 on Monday and Tuesday, good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
The best average speed including my stops was when I did 1500 miles in under 24 hours ...my aveage speed was 66.5. I was doing great but it was in the middle of no where in Texas... the down side to faster speeds is increased fuel consumption... If you want to talk pm me I would be glad to talk about the good and bad things I have experienced during my rides...

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Good luck with it....same as IBALEE....be glad to help. Shoot me a PM

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
REf picked up long distance riding very quickly....:) he has become a pro in short time and I know he also enjoys it....it takes a certain type of person to ride into the night after riding alll day...ps I am in agony...my bike is laid up for at least a week.....in the words of Dr. Smith ...oh the pain ...the pain...

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, Gentlemen! Appreciate your kind offers of help. At this point, I simply have to to run this trip moment by moment. Tatanka is running very nicely, but I'm a realist. If stuff happens, then it will affect my plans. (Gee, there is nowhere I'd rather be working on my bike than central South Dakota in the first week of August in the middle of a drought! Better stay REAL hydrated!:eek:)

It is my hope that Mr. T will perform very well, that I will ride with my brother-in-law and his brother in the Black Hills and then to Sheridan, Wyoming, part company as they head to Spokane, WA (to earn an IBA) and then Seattle, while I cruise up to Kalispell for the Western Meet & Greet. If I make it to Kalispell, then I'll set up the IBA thing, PM you both, etc.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." Robert Burns

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I can you this much,after doing my ride Saturday. Make sure you have a good seat on the bike, or you can have a sore seat when you finish.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I can you this much,after doing my ride Saturday. Make sure you have a good seat on the bike, or you can have a sore seat when you finish.

Good luck.
That good ole Wal Mart cushion makes a world of difference...

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Im curious the first post was in July. Did you make it? Are you still ridding??? :D

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Are you asking me, Ralphumor?

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Ralphumor,

I posted a thread about the trip to Sturgis. Long and short: My quote above proved prophetic: "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray."

I arrived Sturgis with a wind-fractured windshield (at least 100 cracks in it,) but would still have gone to Kalispell with it that way, after applying some clear packaging tape here and there to keep it from blowing shards back into my face. Then, my starter solenoid fried itself into Bakelite. I got home on a 12V lawn tractor starter solenoid, 730 miles, white-knuckled. So, I didn't get to Kalispell, MT and still haven't done an Iron Butt. Next June is the plan, to Colorado or Wyoming.

Yes, I'm still riding. Autumn riding here is beautiful; the trees are changing colors now. This means first snowfall is probably only 4-5 weeks away.:( Dangers in this season are leaves on the road and deer hopping out in front of you.:eek: Averaged about 1,200 miles/month in this first season of riding Tatanka. Much work to do on him over the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I was just curious the thread was started in July and there was no end. I am sorry that you were not able to complete the ride you wanted to. I am glad you were able to engineer your way back to your home safely. Sometimes the best laid plans end up on the floor. I was asking if you were still ridding as in "are you still ridding on your ride and unable to post?" I knew you were not just asking a silly question. :D Good luck on your next attempt..............

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Got my certificates yesterday for Ref and Ralphumor rides back in July. I turned in both the SS1000 and a BB 1500. Sending in my info Monday for the Mile Eater.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
REf congrats. I am still waiting for mine. I am posted as complered on the Southern California Motorcycle Association site for the four corners tour...but I am even waiting for the formal certificate from them..I was told the longer rides take longer to get the certification. I am pondering the extreme coast to coast...key west to the aritic circle...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts