Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my '06 Wing last year it had Kury floorboards/heel-toe shifter on it which I found felt REALLY uncomfortable when I first started riding this bike, so I switched back to stock pegs. Early this spring I also picked up a set of used mini boards with the lowering brackets and rode a month with those. Nice, but not a monster change over the stock pegs. I figured at some point I'll try the Kury boards again and if I still don't like them, sell'em, so a week ago I put them back on.

Well, they're not as uncomfortable/strange as I originally found them - I think just because I'm now getting fairly used to handling this bike versus my cruiser. I admit it is nice having that more 'solid' feeling under my feet than one gets with pegs. Even with the stock pegs I thought I'd quite like a heel-toe shift and was thinking of buying one; I really like the one on my Vulcan but of course that's such a different foot position. One thing I don't like about the Kury board/shifter system but do like on the Vulcan is that on the Wing I can no longer get my toe under the toe shift. I HAVE to shift up using the heel, and I find the heel sometimes just a little far back. I think part of the problem is that my boots don't flex really well which makes it feel even a bit more uncomfortable. I mean, not bad, just a little off. I thought one of the Kury heel toe shifts I saw had the heel part a little farther forward and higher, but after reading some reviews I'm not so sure it is any farther forward.

I guess maybe I need to give it a few more weeks then decide. The part about having to reach back to shift up that still kind of bothers me is that feeling that's it's an extra motion. I find if I'm making a turn from a stop and need to shift up during the turn that with the stock pegs and toe shift, my toe is right there in position - ready to shift. As opposed to with the boards I have to conciously move my foot back to reach the heel shift.

Sorry for the ramble, just a little frustrated with myself that I have 3 sets of 'pegs' now and can't decide what's most comfortable. Figured maybe typing this all out might make things clearer in my own head, and just maybe someone would have some sage advice to boot.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Kerry, as someone who ran the gamut like yourself my 1500 came to me with stock pegs, bought a used set of boards on ebay. Ran them for a couple years then made the switch to Kury Iso-Wings & they fit the bill. I used the heel/toe on a 1500 Vulcan that I inherited for a while as well as the GL1500 when I had the boards but when I put the Iso-Wings on I went back to the stock shifter. I really loved that combination. I wear my Tourmaster SC Response boots & never have any problem with stifness.

I really don't know if any of this helps you but it all worked for me.:eek:

Hope you work out your dilema.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I ride a Harley Ultra-glide for three days every year. Of course it has the heel/toe shifter, yet I have never used the heel shifter. I've sat on Wings with the floorboards heel/toe shifter and thought to myself that it might work until I admit to myself that I'm strictly a toe shifter and always will be.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
When I bought my Gold Wing it had floor boards, I never had floor boards on my other bikes, I had trouble getting use to it, after a few weeks I took them off and installed mini boards. I like this better, I don't miss shift anymore, I like the old way better, and the mini boards are great.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
i couldn't live without my floor boards

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I had floor boards on my Suzuki Boulevard which was fine. I have pegs on my wing. I really feel like it would be a little awkward for shifting....Just my opinion. A lot of folks like Gordo, swear by them.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
My Nomad came stock with floor boards and heel toe shifters. I adapted to using the heel right away.... love it. My Suzuki Boulevard C50T had floorboards and heel toe. I had a 1100 Honda Shadow with them on too. All very comfortable.

The Wing, with the position of the peg being directly below my body would require that I put my foot out beyond the floorboard. I am 5'10" and I can flat foot my bike now, but if the floor boards were there, I think my ankle would take a beating from the side of the floorboard. I have heard others complain about that. Does the 1800 have the same peg lay out?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I think I've pretty much made up my mind that these combo floorboards/heel-toe shifter just aren't for me. We went for a ride yesterday and while I still like having the boards out on the hiway, the layout of the shifter just doesn't feel comfortable. At one point we were heading out of a parking lot -going pretty slow in a right hand turn - and just as I was reaching back to shift into second things got a bit unstable. I'm not sure exactly what happened - maybe hit a spot of uneven ground that I hadn't seen, not sure. Anyway all was well and a bit of throttle got things back on track, but right at that particular moment, having my heel raised and my foot in motion sliding back to shift just added a little sumthin sumthin that I didn't appreciate at the time.

Kerry, as someone who ran the gamut like yourself my 1500 came to me with stock pegs, bought a used set of boards on ebay. Ran them for a couple years then made the switch to Kury Iso-Wings & they fit the bill. I used the heel/toe on a 1500 Vulcan that I inherited for a while as well as the GL1500 when I had the boards but when I put the Iso-Wings on I went back to the stock shifter. I really loved that combination. I wear my Tourmaster SC Response boots & never have any problem with stifness.

I really don't know if any of this helps you but it all worked for me.:eek:

Hope you work out your dilema.
Thanks Fossil. As dilema's go, I guess this is a pretty good one to have, LOL. I like the looks of those ISO-Wings, maybe I'll tack a set on to the order I have ready for Wingstuff. I have a set of Kury mini-boards, which I got with lowering brackets. I tried removing the lowering brackets and just attaching them to the mounts, but they end up very high, making it hard to get my toe under the shifter. Is the surface of the Iso-wings higher than stock, or the same?

My Nomad came stock with floor boards and heel toe shifters. I adapted to using the heel right away.... love it. My Suzuki Boulevard C50T had floorboards and heel toe. I had a 1100 Honda Shadow with them on too. All very comfortable.

The Wing, with the position of the peg being directly below my body would require that I put my foot out beyond the floorboard. I am 5'10" and I can flat foot my bike now, but if the floor boards were there, I think my ankle would take a beating from the side of the floorboard. I have heard others complain about that. Does the 1800 have the same peg lay out?
The boards are indeed in the way when stopped. I can stretch out to either side, but can't flat foot that way.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Is the surface of the Iso-wings higher than stock, or the same?
Kerry I'm not sure exactly. My thoughts are they were the same. As I said ran stock pegs, then boards & when I switched to the Iso's I put the stock shifter back on. It felt like the original position & was natural feeling when shifting, so now that I typed it out I would say Yes to your question. Sorry for the babble.:eek:

The thing that I liked most about the Iso's is that it does allow some movement, they're comfortable yet as I said no issue getting your feet down.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
I'm too short to use floorboards. I just touch the ground with my feet now and boards would put too much space to go around to plant my feet. Oh to be 6 foot tall....LOL

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I love my Kury ISO -boards. I'm not that long in the inseam but have no issues with feet on the ground. The h/t shifter is actually better for my arthritic ankle so they work for me. I did find the 1800 is a bit shy on foot room with the stock pegs. So I tried the Kury mini boards first, and then last year went to the full meal deal and couldn't be happier. I do know that the boards don't work for everyone though.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kerry I'm not sure exactly. My thoughts are they were the same. As I said ran stock pegs, then boards & when I switched to the Iso's I put the stock shifter back on. It felt like the original position & was natural feeling when shifting, so now that I typed it out I would say Yes to your question. Sorry for the babble.:eek:

The thing that I liked most about the Iso's is that it does allow some movement, they're comfortable yet as I said no issue getting your feet down.
Well, I put on some Iso Wings and I must say, I like them. They're maybe not drastically different than stock, but they are a nice improvement. Plus not in the way like the boards, and as you say do give some flexibility in regard to moving my feet around a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

One question though - the isowings don't seem to fold much without hitting other parts. Is there some kind of sacrificial warning piece that a person can add to them just to give a little heads up when about to scrape? Not that I'm a big peg scraper, but it happens occasionally.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Not that I know of but I do get what your saying about they don't seem to fold as much. I never had an issue but can't say that anyone else will not. I kind of viewed it as more comfort so I was happy.

Glad you like them

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Kerry, VP Accessories has a polycarbonate scuff block that is attached to the underside of floorboards with a "hi-bond tape". I don't know if they'll work for you. But they are currently selling for about $6. Get a pair. If the don't work its not a major loss.

Or get some square stock at Home Depot/Lowe's and make your own.

Good Luck. Take care and ride safe, Randy

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kerry, VP Accessories has a polycarbonate scuff block that is attached to the underside of floorboards with a "hi-bond tape". I don't know if they'll work for you. But they are currently selling for about $6. Get a pair. If the don't work its not a major loss.

Or get some square stock at Home Depot/Lowe's and make your own.

Good Luck. Take care and ride safe, Randy

Thanks, I'll check them out.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Guess I'm not the only one who has been uncomfortable with Floor boards. For one thing a stock shifter is really hard to find, and expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts