·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Reactions: Barry Dupler

·
Registered
55 Posts
I quit riding with groups because they could never get there info together do we leave ay 7 meet at 8 have breakfast at 8 and then decide are what ..my last group took 4 hours to get 90 miles so no more for me i am up and going down the road in less than one hour ..
I made a large loop to help a man and his Harley on the side of I-30 in east Texas about 2 am complete darkness ,,when i ask if i could help he replied i do not need any thing from some one who would ride something like that ,,meaning my 1993 gold wing that i still have today ,,so i said good luck to you and left him on the high way ..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man you must ride a long way at a time ,,that ST you have already has a 7 gallon tank and you have three more ,,wow ,,, i ride about a hundred maybe 150 and get off walk a little get more fuel and go again ,,i want to stretch a little ..

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Man you must ride a long way at a time ,,that ST you have already has a 7 gallon tank and you have three more ,,wow ,,, i ride about a hundred maybe 150 and get off walk a little get more fuel and go again ,,i want to stretch a little ..
i stop when i feel the need to do so. having almost 11 gallons of gas just means i don't need gas

·
Registered
18 Posts
i stop when i feel the need to do so. having almost 11 gallons of gas just means i don't need gas
I don't ride in groups either. Just too much wasted time. Last time I rode in a group it took 5 days to get from Milwaukee, WI to Sturgis, SD. 900 stinking miles..... 5 days do the math. Two of us broke from the group for the ride home. We took in sights in Wyoming and Colorado, Camped for three nights, had a breakdown on my friends HD that took an extra day.
Guess what? We got back home the same day the group did and they rode straight back!
That was my last group ride except for dual sporting. Now those group rides are fun!

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Thanks for taking us along Doc. I've been to most of those places, but not the lighthouse. That in Toledo? Group rides can be okay, but they do have a higher probability of problems. Especially with a lot of traffic lights. The GWRRA group I used to ride with would divide up into groups of 8 at most. People not keeping up, or trying too hard to keep up can lead to problems.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for taking us along Doc. I've been to most of those places, but not the lighthouse. That in Toledo? Group rides can be okay, but they do have a higher probability of problems. Especially with a lot of traffic lights. The GWRRA group I used to ride with would divide up into groups of 8 at most. People not keeping up, or trying too hard to keep up can lead to problems.
Yes Mark the lighthouse is in Toledo

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't ride in groups either. Just too much wasted time. Last time I rode in a group it took 5 days to get from Milwaukee, WI to Sturgis, SD. 900 stinking miles..... 5 days do the math. Two of us broke from the group for the ride home. We took in sights in Wyoming and Colorado, Camped for three nights, had a breakdown on my friends HD that took an extra day.
Guess what? We got back home the same day the group did and they rode straight back!
That was my last group ride except for dual sporting. Now those group rides are fun!
Five days to go 900 miles? Would have driven me insane.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
957 Posts
With me it would have been to the first passing zone and then SEE YOU LATER, last group ride I was on was a total disaster. In a large group there are too many variables to make the direction and safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With me it would have been to the first passing zone and then SEE YOU LATER, last group ride I was on was a total disaster. In a large group there are too many variables to make the direction and safe.
First couple days were fun. Stopped to see some things along the way, etc. We weren't in a hurry but it became ridiculous. Getting going in the morning was almost nauseating. Most of the group got up at 7ish but couldn't hit the road without a lengthy breakfast, gas stop, etc. Then the peanut tank HDs had to stop for fuel every 100 miles, had a couple of lengthy breakdowns and tire changes. Yes, a couple guys left Milwaukee with bad tires...... dinner stops were hours and no riding after sundown at all. It actually became a game to me to see what would come next.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour DCT
87 Posts
First couple days were fun. Stopped to see some things along the way, etc. We weren't in a hurry but it became ridiculous. Getting going in the morning was almost nauseating. Most of the group got up at 7ish but couldn't hit the road without a lengthy breakfast, gas stop, etc. Then the peanut tank HDs had to stop for fuel every 100 miles, had a couple of lengthy breakdowns and tire changes. Yes, a couple guys left Milwaukee with bad tires...... dinner stops were hours and no riding after sundown at all. It actually became a game to me to see what would come next.
You stated exactly the reasons why I gave up group riding back in the 90's and have not really missed them that much. Since then I like to just ride with a friend or two or maybe even three others but never more than five or six at the most on rare occasions and that's about it for me. Small and efficient. Much more manageable in size and it greatly simplifies decision making choices. Can get in and get out faster for gas and dining.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I generally don't do group riding, unless it's with family (have a lot that ride). The last one I did, one rider had a new HD fat boy, and since it was windy, they couldn't even do the speed limit in the cross winds. Another in the group didn't like to take corners 'fast' so had to wait on them, also. Two just wanted to ride to the nearest bar. I do have a couple of friends that I occasionally ride with, but even one of them can get annoying. I really prefer to ride by myself, no one to wait on, and no one has to wait on me. The hubs and I did a ride with his brother and sis-in-law down to Texas once. They would start out with the mega cups of beverages every stop, and then had to stop every half hour or so to drain their bladders, and then get another mega cup, and start the cycle over. Took twice as long to get to our destination as compared to just me and the hubs on our bike, alone. I tried very nicely (well, for me at least) to make them understand that if they would drink less, they would stop less. In one ear, and out the other. Don't get me wrong, I love these people, but really don't want to have to ride with any of them, if I don't have to. I'm good with sing-a-long road trips with just me and the mp3.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour DCT
87 Posts
I generally don't do group riding, unless it's ...........
I'm with you but have found over the years for me at least it's usually a better idea to ride with at least one or two others for no other reason than for safety reasons. At least if I end up in a ditch or something similar I have someone who can notify help if I should need it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you ride consistently with the same riders you fall into a groove and every ride becomes enjoyable. I rode for years with two brothers and a friend, we learned to ride as a group until it became automatic. But when you ride in a large group I have found that most of the time is spent either trying to avoid bikers that can't group ride or try to show off or picking the above mentioned bikers out of a ditch.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts