Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This didn't seem like the right forum for problems, but it seems there are several others here, so here goes:

What I'm experiencing is this: Many times when I apply the front brake lever all the lights, to include the radio and clock cut out for a second or two. Sometimes, the clock resets to 1:00, and sometimes it doesn't. This doesn't happen every time I apply the brake, but when it doesn't, at a minimum, the lights and displays dim for a split second. Further, my reverse doesn't seem to want to work. I'll put it in reverse, and the light will light up, but when I push the start button, it moves about an inch, and stops. The light stays on, but the motor stops turning. Oh yeah, and since all this started I get that whiny engine noise through the headset.

To me, it's behaving like a bad ground would, with the lights dimming and all. But I'm not much of a whiz at electrical. Not this type, anyway. The one commonality I've found in all this is that all the problems seem to be related to the right handle bar. That's another reason I'm thinking (hoping) it's just a ground problem. I haven't experienced any problems, however, with the cruise control, which is also on the right, as you know.

This all seemed to start after I got caught out in the rain the other day. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I was under the impression that the bike could tolerate a little rain.

Any suggestions would be a great help before I resort to getting scalped at the repair shop.

·
Super Moderator
11,813 Posts
It sounds like a bad connection on the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think? I had kind of dismissed that since the battery stays up and it has never missed a start. I never even looked at it. Guess it's worth at least checking.

·
Super Moderator
11,813 Posts
If it were something grounding out on the handlebar, it should be blowing fuses.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
what year wing are we talking about? this is whyi t would be nice if everyone put what year and model wing they ride in their signature

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
, Sounds like the problem I had a while back. It was a ground problem. You didn't say what year, mine is a 93 Aspencade. Under the seat there are two large connectors in a flat black box. The one on the left as you are sitting on the bike is blue. If you have one of the honda repair manuals it shows the one I'm talking about. Take it apart and look at the pins. The pins on the green wire were burnt/corroded looking. I cleaned them and it worked good for a couple of days, but came back. We spliced a jumper wire in, so far so good. If this does not work, post again, there are some smart people on these boards and they'll get you in the right direction.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rude.

No need for further replies of any kind, as I will look for help on another site and won't be returning here.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Perhaps the chip on viper's shorted out his electrical system.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
My bike was doing a simular thing when I had the brakes on. It is a 1984 1200 and aftter some time I found 1 of the stator wires was burnt out. I did a bodgy job on it and conected it back up and solved two problems. When I got the bike it was putting in 13 volts into the battery at 2000 rpm. Now was putting in 14.3 volts. Now the radio holds it's volume and the lights don't dim with the brakes on. So I am thinking it is a low battery condition that is giving you these strange behaveour. The bike was starting ok when cold but strugled when you shut it down for a couple of minutes and then went out to start it again. Not that you will want to go the same path as me but I have gone the long term solution by pulling the motor and replace the starter and stator. Anything I find that dosent look good will get fixed while I am in there. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Rude.

No need for further replies of any kind, as I will look for help on another site and won't be returning here.
I don't get it. Who was rude. There was only members here trying to give some ideas. Anyone that would like to be this type of rude to me, go ahead. Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize. I had a long day today and haven't been feeling well recently.

Thanks to those who offered solutions. I'll take a look if it ever stops raining here.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum,
When you mentioned you were leaving for another forum. I didn't get a chance to drive you up the walls with electrical.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Well best of luck with it and get better quickly, there is no fun being sick. Eric

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Okay here's the info in a nut shell for the reverse.
First check the fuse and replace it. You want fuse #11.
You must have continuity between the solid pink wire to the terminal on the B starter relay with the fuse removed.
You must also have continuity between the pink/white tracer to the connection at the Reverse/Cruise control module.
See arrows on schematic.
To get to the connector you must remove the top shelter. You want the connector that has the pink/white tracer wire for the check. While you're checking make sure the connections are clean and they fit tight.
I know there's a group of ground wires under the gas tank. PIA to get to and they sometimes create problems

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I might be on to something. Does anyone have a diagram or description of what each of the four wires that go into the front brake handle goes to? I found the rubber cover for that pulled away today, so it's been exposed to the rain for who knows how long. Could be the culprit. Earlier today, I went to turn the ignition on and there was no power to the bike at all. I whopped the handlebar, and everything came on. Got me home from work, but not what I want to become part of the start-up routine.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I think I might be on to something. Does anyone have a diagram or description of what each of the four wires that go into the front brake handle goes to? I found the rubber cover for that pulled away today, so it's been exposed to the rain for who knows how long. Could be the culprit. Earlier today, I went to turn the ignition on and there was no power to the bike at all. I whopped the handlebar, and everything came on. Got me home from work, but not what I want to become part of the start-up routine.
I have a service manual in front of me as I type. I'll look. And look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Looked at the kill switch, and it didn't seem to be acting up any.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think those will be very useful. Thanks again. But what I really need to get started is to look at the connectors to the front brake lever and know where each wire goes. I don't think this tells me that. I'd like to be able to say, "ok the top left one goes to the xxxxx, the top right one goes to the yyyy, and so on.

I'm not ungrateful. Your diagrams will help a ton, to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Something in your post got my attention, quote "Earlier today, I went to turn the ignition on and there was no power to the bike at all. I whopped the handlebar, and everything came on."
Check the ignition switch and the connectors. The problem may be there, dirty or loose connector. You can check the switch by turning the lights on and wiggling the key in the switch or bumping the handlebar to see if it makes or breaks contact, same with the wires you can wiggle them also.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.