Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will someone please tell me how to remove the end caps off my 1991 Wing?I don't know if they are after market or not,but they are black foam with chrome end caps.I have tried to screw them off,pull on them and just can't figure it out.There is not a screw in the end as I have seen on some.Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Can you post a pic to give us an idea of what they look like. Maybe that might jog someone's memory..

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I had a set years ago, and If I recall they do not come off. But that was a long time ago. When I replaced them I had to cut the grips off.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Stand Well Back and use the Machete Technique

Hey Bobby, Typically most grips are held in place either by using a fast drying glue or they're pressed into position with a special installation lubricant.

If the grips were installed without using a glue you can punch a small hole in the end of one grip and use an air nozzle to remove them. This technique takes two people to slowly work both grips off gradually. As you apply air pressure through the hole in the end of one side, the escaping air blows between the handle bar and each grip. One side will often begin to move before the other. Your assistant must work in unison with you to prevent either grip from blowing completely off too quickly.

Like Ron mentioned earlier, the alternative is to simply use a box cutter to slice them off. Set the cutting depth just deep enough to reach through the thickness of the grip. Use caution on the right side in particular because the accelerator sleeve that allows throttle operation is just under the right hand grip. In many cases, once you begin to expose the underside of the grip the application of some dish soap as a lubricant will make the final pull easier. Then just clean off any soap residue prior to installing your new grips.

Good Luck, Michael

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response,I guess I didn't state my real problem.I can just as y'all said cut the old grips off,but it is the chrome end caps that i can't figure how to remove.They will turn and you can pull straight out and they will give some.It's like they are held on by a really strong spring or the like.I will take pics tomorrow and try to post them so you can see.I was trying to get the end caps off to put on new grip puppies that I bought.And I did manage to put the puppies on without taking the end caps off(and it was tough).But I thought if I ever wanted to put different grips on later I needed to find out how the end caps come off.Sorry for the long rant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently went through the same thing. Mine are leather instead of foam, but same design. The end caps are screwed onto the inner rubber grip. The screw is only accessible from the inside, you have to remove them from the bike to remove the cap. If they are glued on, as mine were, it just takes some brute force or cutting them to remove. I twisted/pulled on the left grip, and after it finally broke free I saw the design then got the courage to do the same on the throttle side. Just twist CLOSING the throttle and pull, that one "popped" and came unglued much easier as it is on the plastic throttle sleeve.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just replaced these on mine, hated the grips as they are WAY too fat for my little hands (like the Burger King commercial for me, I wear a medium man's glove at best). These grips are foam over hard rubber and are usually glued on. I suggest you just use a razor knife and cut them off. You'll cut through the outer foam layer to expose the inner hard rubber/plastic inner layer. Cut through both and pull them off, the chrome end cap comes off with it all and you dispose of the whole assembly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ok,here is a pic of the grip and end cap.
I had those same grips on my 96 when I bought it. Badly worn though. The end caps did not come off. when you cut the grip back some and it all slides off together. Not a seperate peice, although I was in the same boat, thinking it was. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.