Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
I'm going to be purchasing my first Goldwing next week and would like to start out with my new bike in the right direction!
It has been a few years since my riding days and am a bit concerned of my experience being a bit rusty. I rode a 900 CB Special back in the day and when i moved abroad I sold it and havent really rode in 17 years!
I'm the type of guy that goes for the best....and so here I am stepping into the premire bike on the market.
I'm sure it is like anthing that you've done in the past...slowly get back into it and it will come back to you like you've never stopped riding!
Any pointers would be great and hints on "Do's & Don't" with my new toy would be well recieved!
Bike is an 06 and it is a level 3 with trailer. I have to ride it home from where I'm buying it with trailer attached and am curious as to how it will handle. I've asked fellow bikers and they all say that you will hardly notice it there. Just to be careful coming to stops.
Please help me get started safe and sound. I'm responsible and will not be getting crazy with the bike due to want to enjoy my investment for years to come.
Looking for all responses.......thanks......George

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Update your location so we will know where you call home. If you are familiar with the controls of a motorcycle you should not have a problem getting the Wing home. I would recommend practicing in an empty parking lot once you get home so you can get use to the slow speed handling. Also, be gentle on the throttle, the Wing has a lot of get up and go..

Ride safe and post some pics of your ride when you can...

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Welcome and enjoy. The bike you see is not the bike you ride. Although the bike is large, it really handles quite nicely when moving. The only caution I would give would be to be very alert in any slow speed maneuvers. If you find that first gear is very jerky (quick on the acceleration), you might try starting out in 2nd gear. Won't hurt a thing as long as your not making jack rabbit starts. And yes, it will take you longer to stop so keep that in mind and passing somebody needs attention too since you will be twice as long. Other than that, have a good ride home and don't get distracted with all the buttons.:D

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you wing and trailer. And welcome to GWOF from Down Under. I can't give any advice on riding with a trailer because I have been a big wimp and haven't tried it yet. Maybe with the next upgrade i might bite the bullet and try it. The only thing I would be trying to do is pick a route without much traffic.To give you the chance to get use to your bike without someone cutting you off and give you heart problems while you are trying to get use to your new bike. I hope you have a great ride home, I look forward to your ride report. Eric

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , congrats on getting your new wing next week

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Pa. Like other people said you won't know the trailer is back there when your moving, just be aware it's there when passing,turning and stoping.Congrats and be safe.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Had a 26 year hiatus from motorcycle riding until 2006. I bought a Honda VTX 1300 and moved up to the Wing three years later. I remember my " nervousness ( ? ) " on my first ride home. I felt top heavy because of the high seating position and I wondered if my weight was going to tip the bike over when turning. That was my initial feeling when I had my first ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I doubt you will have any problems getting the bike home, but I would recommend a motorcycle training course in the near future.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Welcome from North Alabama!!!!!

Like all above have said....just take it easy and you should have no problems riding the wing home with the trailer.....you will not know it is there. Take care on stopping. The trailer should track fine loaded or unloaded.

Ride Safe Always!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an 04 Wing last week. It had been at least 20 yrs since I was last on a bike and it was nowhere near the size or had the power of a Goldwing. I was a little tentative the first couple of times but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Have fun I know I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. I am already planning an 8,000 km trip for next year.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome George, and cograts on your choice. Trailering on a bike isn't all that different than a four wheel vehicle in priciple, the same things apply as already mentioned. However, the size and width of the trailer has a significantly higher effect on a bike than a truck/car does. Take some time in a secure or 'closed' area to get the feel of the rig at slow speeds and tight corners etc. You'll be glad you did, and fine thereafter.:D Make sure you have dual crossed safety chains on your hitch. Single will work on a four wheeler sometimes, but likely be a severe hazzard on a bike:eek:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wecome to the forum. I am sure everything will be fine. Your face may hurt a bit from all the smiling you'll be doing. Take it slow at first and everything will surely come back, like riding a bicycle.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello bamabeachboy, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Dekalb County NE Alabama. You will find the weight in slow speeds to be the most unnerving. Practice will make perfect!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts