Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the caretaker of an '83 Gl 1100 which coincidentally has tallied about 83K miles. It might tally a few more if I ever get it started again.

·
Super Moderator
28,441 Posts
Right back at you Steingar. Welcome aboard & get it moving. You won't look back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the bike (Honda does the engineering right every time). Like I said, just gotta get it running. Easier said than done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Be warned, longish story. You did ask...

Daily rider is a blade, got this to ride around my better half. When I went to to the wakey-wakey thing last spring (after a very expensive carb rebuild previously), I couldn't get it started. Waited until the weather warmed mid-summer, tried again to no avail. It would start up and die, and then crank but not start. Took it to the local bike shop where it got new plugs, started right up. Brought it home, but it sat a couple weeks. Tried to get it going, fired right up and died. Battery is charged, changed out the gas, threw in a couple gallons of hi-test, still starts briefly and dies. After, it will grind until the battery dies with no joy.

My first wing, and I haven't wrenched significantly since I got married and bought property. What is it about these things that sucks time like a vampire? Thoughts are welcome, I never had this much trouble getting a bike going after winter. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
It certainly sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Fuel pump problem perhaps. When the carbs were rebuilt were the hoses replaced or checked for cracks or leaks?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It certainly sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Fuel pump problem perhaps. When the carbs were rebuilt were the hoses replaced or checked for cracks or leaks?
Thanks a bunch Two-Wheel for the fast reply. I can't disagree, in fact I originally sent the wing into the shop because I thought I had a fuel pump issue and I never owned a bike with a fuel pump before. However, they were able to get it running just with a spark plug change (obviously I'm growing senile for not thinking of that myself) so the pump is probably OK (although it could have decided to konk out in the meantime). I can't believe the carbs were rebuilt with defective hoses, but if they were would I smell fuel when I crank the thing?

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Vacuum hoses? Air cleaner?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hoses coming off the petcock look OK, and I don't even know where hoses are that come off the air box. There are no obvious discontinuities in what I can see. And like I said, it had a carb rebuild less than 1K miles ago.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
fuel filter, i say that because i rode my 1200 to work one day last fall ran fine but when i left work it stalled at the first stop sign in the parking lot. took about two minutes to get it to restart but it stalled again at the first traffic light. got it going and made it home by keeping the rpm's up at 1500 when i had to stop. changed the fuel filter and haven't had a problem since gotta remember the age of the filter is the same as the bike and one of the most neglected parts on a wing

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again thanks for all the advice. Turns out a simple problem, the choke cable had stretched a bit, so the choke had to be pulled a bit past its stop. Once done the bike started right up (well, started, at any rate). Back in business, and just in time to do its winter chores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts