Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2022 Gold Wing Tour, 2016 R1M, 2004 R1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and greetings from the PNW. I've just purchased a new 2022 Gold Wing Tour manual - my first touring bike. I've spent the last 20 years riding sport bikes on the road and race track, so this is a new world for me and I have a ton to learn.

For years, my father and I have dreamed of riding distance together (he's on an FJR), and last year he reminded me that he's getting older, which was a major motivator in getting this done. Also, I've taken my wife on a few 2-up rides on the R1, and on the last ride we were both so sore and uncomfortable we vowed never again until we had a proper bike.

With those reasons in mind, I was thrilled to bring home this beautiful machine. I've started immersing myself in all the information I can digest, and I'm looking forward to all I'll learn from this forum and its members. Thanks so much in advance for the wealth of knowledge!

Threads are boring without photos, so here are a few of the new bike and a couple of the sport bikes too.

At the dealership:

New bike day smile courtesy of the wife:

Strapping the bike into my trailer for transport home:

The smile of someone who no longer has to ride seated on a postage stamp:

Tucked in with the other bikes:

Proud new owner:

A couple of photos of the other bikes at the track:

· Super Moderator
13,372 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jsilas

· Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on getting your new Wing! Welcome to the forum! That is an impressive garage you have!

Reactions: Maui and jsilas

· Registered
3,811 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Nice looking wing. Hope you and the wife get many miles on it. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: jsilas

· Registered
2021 Goldwing Bagger, 2007 GasGas EC300
86 Posts
Welcome, got my bike form Brothers Powersports too, great company. I also came from a road racing background. Nice shots at The Ridge!

4 things:

#1 DO NOT tow the bike as you showed in the pictures by tying down to handlebars. (read the manual - this is a weak point on this generation of goldwings.) You should use one of these to tie the bike down by Kuryakyn.

#2 check out Traxxion Dynamics for suspension upgrades. I got both front and rear shocks and installed myself (I assume with your racing background you will be capable here). The stock suspension is too light once you start playing in the twisties, and most definitely if you ride two up as I do.

#3 highly recommend Traxxion's belly pan. There is a a vulnerable area underneath this generation of wing that if it gets hit with debris it will require a complete engine case replacement.

#4 highly recommend getting the factory service manual.

Here is a picture of mine, set up for 2 up riding and Long Distance Rallying.

· Administrator
29,757 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, both your smiles are not only enlightening but guaranteed to get much bigger on your 1st 500 plus mile day of riding.

By the way that is a gorgeous machine and the pillion rider is darn cute too.

· Registered
2022 Gold Wing Tour, 2016 R1M, 2004 R1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, got my bike form Brothers Powersports too, great company. I also came from a road racing background. Nice shots at The Ridge!

4 things:

#1 DO NOT tow the bike as you showed in the pictures by tying down to handlebars. (read the manual - this is a weak point on this generation of goldwings.) You should use one of these to tie the bike down by Kuryakyn.

#2 check out Traxxion Dynamics for suspension upgrades. I got both front and rear shocks and installed myself (I assume with your racing background you will be capable here). The stock suspension is too light once you start playing in the twisties, and most definitely if you ride two up as I do.

#3 highly recommend Traxxion's belly pan. There is a a vulnerable area underneath this generation of wing that if it gets hit with debris it will require a complete engine case replacement.

#4 highly recommend getting the factory service manual.

Here is a picture of mine, set up for 2 up riding and Long Distance Rallying.

This is the kind of great info I joined for - thanks so much for sharing! Will look into the items you've specified.

As for the factory service manual, any recommendations for where to buy aside from just ordering through the dealer?

· Registered
86 Posts
This is the kind of great info I joined for - thanks so much for sharing! Will look into the items you've specified.

As for the factory service manual, any recommendations for where to buy aside from just ordering through the dealer?
I got mine from ebay and it came from Everett Powersports. IIRC was about $100 +/-

· Registered
2004 Black GL1800A
661 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the great pictures! Although my wing is the previous generation, there’s nothing I like more than getting out for a nice long ride. You’ll find lots of great information here.

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoy the ride.

· Registered
46 Posts
@jsilas Congrats on your new Wing!

Since you are a racer, looking forward to hearing your thoughts about sport mode

Lots of of good advice and how to's here. Some key ones below...there are lots more

2018+ Bolt, Pin Screw Diagram for Maintenance

Don't use canyon dancers or anything connected to the handle bars to strap the bike down for hauling or maintenance. The steering spindle is aluminum to save weight. A number of the early bikes had the spindles broken when strapping down by the handlebars until the community figured out what not to do. Traxxion Dynamics has several videos about it. Just search for Steering on his youtube channel.

If you are going to haul, get the Goldstrike or Kury tie down kits for the front end.

· Registered
86 Posts
@jsilas Congrats on your new Wing!

Since you are a racer, looking forward to hearing your thoughts about sport mode

Lots of of good advice and how to's here. Some key ones below...there are lots more

2018+ Bolt, Pin Screw Diagram for Maintenance

Don't use canyon dancers or anything connected to the handle bars to strap the bike down for hauling or maintenance. The steering spindle is aluminum to save weight. A number of the early bikes had the spindles broken when strapping down by the handlebars until the community figured out what not to do. Traxxion Dynamics has several videos about it. Just search for Steering on his youtube channel.

If you are going to haul, get the Goldstrike or Kury tie down kits for the front end.
Traxxion now makes a steel replacement spindle for the bike.

· Super Moderator
10,442 Posts
Welcome from the Keystone state.

1,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I have to admit, that I cringed when I saw the photo of the handle bar tie down. As far as relating your experiences in comparison to your sport bikes. I bet you find the limiters (speed/rev) really fast. Hahaha.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello all, and greetings from the PNW. I've just purchased a new 2022 Gold Wing Tour manual - my first touring bike. I've spent the last 20 years riding sport bikes on the road and race track, so this is a new world for me and I have a ton to learn.

For years, my father and I have dreamed of riding distance together (he's on an FJR), and last year he reminded me that he's getting older, which was a major motivator in getting this done. Also, I've taken my wife on a few 2-up rides on the R1, and on the last ride we were both so sore and uncomfortable we vowed never again until we had a proper bike.

With those reasons in mind, I was thrilled to bring home this beautiful machine. I've started immersing myself in all the information I can digest, and I'm looking forward to all I'll learn from this forum and its members. Thanks so much in advance for the wealth of knowledge!

Threads are boring without photos, so here are a few of the new bike and a couple of the sport bikes too.

At the dealership:

New bike day smile courtesy of the wife:

Strapping the bike into my trailer for transport home:

The smile of someone who no longer has to ride seated on a postage stamp:

Tucked in with the other bikes:

Proud new owner:

A couple of photos of the other bikes at the track:

Welcome to the real World of comfortable riding brother. Ride on😎✌

· Registered
947 Posts
OK. Take it out and ride up north and take 20 across the Cascades when the snow is cleared. Ride to the top of Mt Baker. US 2 out of there is great also. Have fun and welcome from Mississippi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts