Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all! My name is Bob and I am located in the Sacramento, CA area. I currently ride a Kawasaki Vulcan, but I'm becoming very interested in Goldwings...specifically, the GL1500s. I have two friends who have them and they absolutely love them...

I have to admit that the size and weight of the GL1500 is a bit intimidating, but my compadres tell me it's not a big deal and the bikes handle really well at low speeds. I sat on one of the bikes and was kinda shocked at how well balanced it seems to be. I hear they do well on the twisties, but I'd be interested to know how you all deal with off-camber turns from a dead stop...

Anyway, thought I'd check in and stick a toe in the water...probably due to upgrade my bike when I retire next January and cash out...

Thanks for the great website!

Bob

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Bob, 1st Welcome you came to a great place. Good people & discussion here.

2nd off camber stuff can be a bit tricky. The biggest thing I can think of is always look where you want to go. Don't look down or you WILL BE. A superbrace is also an excellent add on. It stops fork flex & really helps at low speed. Get the wheels 1st though.;)

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi Bob...welcome from Canada, eh. I drive a '91 1500 and my biggest problem is I can't stay off it! Wings are unbeatable on the highway (IMHO). I think I've ridden it twice by myself as my wife (lovingly referred to as Velcro), is constantly behind me. She loves it as much as I do. Not great marks for off-roading :) but it gobbles up the miles on the highway. If you buy it, you'll love it!
Strat

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome from Florida,rocinante54. Proud owner of a '941500SE.I'm with your friends,once you've ridden it a little bit you will love the low CG and the size won't be a problem. Get one with reverse so if you need it,you have it.Once you bond with one,the off camber stuff won't be any bigger deal than it is on your current ride. The sooner you get one ,the longer you'll have to enjoy it. Good Luck. Ride often and Safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
GREETINGS FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA--- and as for the 1500 there isnt a better road bike (the 1800 will want to fight about that one--but I own both) the Highway patrol trains their riders when they stop to always put down the foot that is on the side they are turning to -----turning left, left foot down---- turning right, right foot down -- this works very well on off camber turns from a dead stop

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I have relations who live in and around Grass Valley, CA. Beautiful country, reminds me a lot of Pa. Enjoy the forum and ride safe..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts