Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just thought I'd pop in and say hi.
I am proud to announce to the world I have just lost my Goldwing virginity and at the tender young age of 40, and I have bought my first wing.
The beast in question is an 86 GL1200 Aspencade with 46000 miles on the clock. I remember seeing these beasties brand new back in the day. It was love at first sight. I knew it was my destiny to become at one with one of these sexy beasts, and much to my delight, that destiny has now been fulfilled.
Enough about me and my dirty little fantasies, let's get back to the bike.
The bike is in fairly good condition taking into consideration that it's approaching 25 years old, with a few imperfections to be expected.
It bike was a reposession and was being sold by the finance company in "as is, where is" condition. I bought it without seeing it in the flesh, just saw photos. The first thing I had to do was put a new battery in it before even riding it away as the old one was pooh'd. Luckily the bike was being stored at a bike shop in Dunedin, NZ, so I was ably to purchase one on the spot. And just for good measure, I also had them give it an oil and filter change. So after sorting these 2 things, acquiring registration and insurance, I was off on my maiden voyage. My first destination was the gas station. Why is it when ever I buy a new vehicle, I always seem to get the one with the empty tank?
Anyway, I topped up, and headed west to one of New Zealands top tourist destinations, Queenstown. There I stayed the night with friends, ate fine food and drunk the finest home made bourbon (I make my own, it's good stuff)
The next day after sobering up, and consuming large amounts of coffee, I was back in the Aspencade "winging it" back home to Christchurch through the scenic central south island (some of you may also know it as Middle Earth as seen in Lord of the Rings. All up over the 2 days I probably covered 500 miles. Reminds me of that Proclaimers song...........I would walk 500 miles. I'm sure that could be changed to "I would wing 500 miles"
Anyhow, enough about me, back to the bike.
The next first I noticed it the radio was knackered. Although it goes, the LCD display is dead (I'll be asking about replacing that in another part of the forum after posting this). Next issue, the riders part of the seat has lost most of its firmness and is very soft compared to the pillion half of the seat. I will address this in the new year. Next, when cornering, I'm getting sort of a rubbing noise. Swing arm bearings I suspect. Will buy some from ebay soon. And probably the steering head bearings will need some attention too. Other than a few cosmetical blemishes, and needing a tune up, she seems to be a pretty sweet machine. Oh, it does have some pretty crappy aftermarket pipes as well. I'll look to replace those with originals at some stage. And I'll also replace the timing belts in the very near future. No idea if or when they have ever been done.
So that's me, and that's my story.
By the way, any other Goldwing owners here from Christchurch, NZ?

All the best to all my fellow wingers, and have a very safe and happy new year.

Antony
Christchurch, New Zealand

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF & what may be one of the best places to hang out & talk about Wings. Good People here & good discussion.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Florida.
Yes, Wings are a hot topic here and we'll share information.
Happy New Year

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state of Pennsylvania. Glad you found us. Ride safe and enjoy the site and the postings.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. Loved reading your post. Now I can't tell you when but I am going to get to your part of the world. It will be after 2012 when we are going to the USA. We were looking at about a 14 day South Island tour. Without a map in front of me I can't remember the names but from Christchurch you go straight across to the other side to the Fox glaciers and follow the coast down through Queenstown. We will be doing a geology trip of the South Island. Eric.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Kiwi. Sounds like you've got a good start on the Wing. I checked on your LCD part # on the parts catalogue today but came up empty in regards to the number you found, the Honda parts #'s are significantly different than the ones you found, sorry mate. That's likely a Panasonic number stamp. Anyway, enjoy the site.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Kiwi, from the midwest of the USA. (Deere country);)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from Down Under. Loved reading your post. Now I can't tell you when but I am going to get to your part of the world. It will be after 2012 when we are going to the USA. We were looking at about a 14 day South Island tour. Without a map in front of me I can't remember the names but from Christchurch you go straight across to the other side to the Fox glaciers and follow the coast down through Queenstown. We will be doing a geology trip of the South Island. Eric.
Hey Eric, thanks for your reply. May through to October the roads around Queenstown can be very icey , so if you're planning on a 2 wheeled adventure, you may want to avoid those months. June through September has a much higher chance of snow, so makes it stunning scenery!

Summer time is great riding weather though, although the west coast of the south island is always prone to a lot of rain all year round.

Antony

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome Kiwi. Sounds like you've got a good start on the Wing. I checked on your LCD part # on the parts catalogue today but came up empty in regards to the number you found, the Honda parts #'s are significantly different than the ones you found, sorry mate. That's likely a Panasonic number stamp. Anyway, enjoy the site.

Thanks for that, your efforts are greatly appreciated. I'll soon find out when the new part arrives anyway. And I'll be sure to post the results in the forum.

Antony

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
lol, I shall endeavour to do my best. If it goes shiny side down, I'll blame the earthquakes, we're getting lots of those here lately.
Had 3 good ones on Boxing day..........good times. Not big enough to shake the bike off it's stand though, just a magnitude 4.9 and 2 smaller ones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts