Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member, interested in finding out information about GoldWings. I'm hopefully about to pick one up in a few weeks and I just want to be prepared for what I am getting myself into.

I'm picking up a 1978 GoldWing. It has the 1000cc motor in it and there are 20k miles on it. It needs a rear tire, a left header pipe and a starter and the seat needs some stitching. The current owner is also giving me a parts bike (identical year), a Nighthawk and a CB550. The parts bike has a good starter, rear tire/ wheel and header pipe.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for with the GoldWing? The Front tire is good, and it doesn't seem to be leaking any oil. The paint and chrome are in really good shape. Are there any tricks or quirks with these bikes?

I currently drive a 2006 Honda CBR 600RR. The vintage motorcycle world is new to me, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my current bike...

Here is the GoldWing I will be picking up soon...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I started with a '81 wing - my first big bike. Good luck on your project & ride safe!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF , you will not be disappointed if you get a gold wing

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. You came to the right place for info on Wings. Ride safe and enjoy the site...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello rideoutksc, welcome to GWOF. first change the toming belts they are old and overdue because of age. second find out how old those tires are, we don't want you riding around on dry rotted tires regardless to how good they look. flush the brake fluid both front and rear. make sure your new wing is as safe and roadworthy as your sportbike

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
While I ride an 1800 and can't offer any advice on your recent purchase, I would like to welcome you to the Forum from down here in Texas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Regarding the tires, I'll look at a date on the front tire. It isn't rotted, and still has fresh nubbies on it from when it was molded. The rear tire however is shot.

I'll be getting a parts bike that is apparently in similar shape, except the former owner replaced the timing belts and left a wrench on a pulley and cranked the engine over. It hasn't run since. Are there more than one timing belt? If this belt(s) fail, do the valves hit the pistons?

Front brake lever has issues... hoping to replace that assembly with one from the parts bike. Rear brake pedal is good, but will still flush fluid.

Someone suggested synching the carbs. Why and how would I do this?

These bikes are really sweet. I was surprised about a few things... like the fake gas tank! Lifting up the damn cover on the fake tank must suck when you need to fill the tank. I looked in the tank by the way and it's clean. Do I check the oil on the right side of the bike? All of the gauges on the fake tank are really cool, the Vetter fairing looks a bit funky though, is it worth keeping it on the bike?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
there are two timing belts and do have the carbs synced, even on your sportbike. makes the motor smoother. for good wind and rain protection leave the vetter on the wing. check ebay and see if you can find a radio box for it if you don't have one so you can have some tunes while riding

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site. Nice graphics on the CBR, cagers shouldn't be able to say they don't see you coming! Have fun with the project Wing. Lots of good peeps here with answers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are two timing belts and do have the carbs synced, even on your sportbike. makes the motor smoother. for good wind and rain protection leave the vetter on the wing. check ebay and see if you can find a radio box for it if you don't have one so you can have some tunes while riding
Can I synch the carbs myself? No radiobox, but interested in it. Is the fairing easily removed and reattached?

My sportbike is fuel injected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the site. Nice graphics on the CBR, cagers shouldn't be able to say they don't see you coming! Have fun with the project Wing. Lots of good peeps here with answers.
Thanks, I love the orange. Part of the reason why I chose the orange is actually because of safety. That graphic is actually a factory graphic.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
"That graphic is actually a factory graphic."
I fogot about the '06 Tribal edition, the most common of the special schemes was the Repsol, don't think the blue Movistar model made it up here at all. Lots of the colour combo's you folks see never make it across the 49th:( Bummer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget about the 2005 Black Tribal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked out the goldwing again today. I'm trading a car for this motorcycle and a few others.

The fuel pump is leaking (right side above the exhaust). A manual comes with the motorcycle and it states that the individual parts of the fuel pump can not be serviced and the entire fuel pump must be replaced. Is that right?

Both exhaust headers are rotted, but the parts bike has good exhaust.

The parts bike has an engine, but there is damage to the rear cover. The parts bike also has a good radiator (and a spare) two pairs of hard bags, a newer fairing (with integrated directionals) and a freshly rebuilt battery of carburetors.

The front engine cover was polished on the parts bike. The intake tubes on the carbs were also polished. The parts bike has a good rear tire and brake disk to replace the bad rear tire on the complete bike.

Now with the complete bike, the directionals don't blink and the low beam doesn't work. Hopefully I can switch these things from the parts bike. The parts bike does not have a fuel pump, which would have been helpful. The throttle linkage on the parts bike is smooth, so I will replace the linkage on the complete bike with this assembly.

How big is the market for parts for these bikes? I'll have another engine, a final drive, wheels, an extra fairing, side covers, fake gas tank and more.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Why don't you try and post a thread in the engine work section outlining your issues? There's a couple members that are real big on the 1000's and their individual unique quirks. Astor123 is a 1000 guy and a really good wrench from what I can gather, and there's a couple others that just might chime in. I'll do some shopmanual searching when I get a chance (I'm no mechanic believe me) and see if there's some things I can confirm for you about the fuel pump and such. If I can find it in the manual, I'll relay it your way for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent suggestions! Thanks for that... I forgot to mention the parts bike comes with a manual but it is not in my possession yet. It looks like I should have this bike next week if all goes well!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts