Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not rode in 23yrs and now I am retired from the military (21yrs Army/Navy, and disabled from Iraq) and my youngest is a freshman at Kent State so I found a 84 Gl1200 Aspencade with 34k on it. It has been stripped down and a Harley fairing and tank have been placed on it and has the 2 hard saddle bags. The bike from front ta back has been wrapped to look like a WW2 Bomber. The chrome even has rust facia wrapped on it. I have never owned a Goldwing before but due to my short inseam and the adjusted handlebars it feels nice! I just need big bike lessons. I have owned a 83 KZ550, 83 GS550, 94 BMW R1100RS, and now this. Would greatly appreciate any direction given to make this have a little more pep. I am trying to ride all year, need something to help keep my mind going! I'm a southern boy so any winter riding advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The advice that I can give you is find a empty parking lot and practice your slow speed maneuvering, after you pass walking speed the bike almost rides itself. Once you are comfortable at slow speeds you will wonder what took you so long to get a wing.😁

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi and thank you for your service. The Wings have a lower center of gravity than they look. Take your time and get the feel of it and you will do fine. Many people find an empty parking lot and practice slow turns. Remember to keep your hands off the front brake when that front wheel is turned.

It sounds like an interesting looking bike. How about sharing some pictures?
2017 08 16 Outback & Back 04 Pickle Bill's Ray & Pete.JPG

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
welcome from Michigan !! do take the class and get licensed, do practice in a parking lot, and make sure your bike is ready to hit the road so you can ride the windy nine. winter riding: dress warm, 1200 wings don't have high output stators for using heated gear. performance: there are no mods for a 1200 wing, they do like to be rev-ed so keep the rpm's up

Reactions: RUSHTK and NREMTP

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

Reactions: RUSHTK

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased crash bars. The bike is from Kentucky and needs front turn signals and horn for Ohio title. The front caliper was froze and fork seals were totally blown. The rear calipers are waiting on O-rings and need turn signals and she's done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It no longer has the controls for shock air pressure. I weigh 237 and was going to find out from you guys some good rear coilovers.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
That is a very unique bike.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to you from Mississippi and thank you for your service. The Wings have a lower center of gravity than they look. Take your time and get the feel of it and you will do fine. Many people find an empty parking lot and practice slow turns. Remember to keep your hands off the front brake when that front wheel is turned.

View attachment 274314
Posted a few.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome from N.Indiana and thank you for your service. Sounds like you are getting a handle on the mechanical challenges that owning and riding a vintage motorcycle.
As far as low speed riding goes, the early GL's are one of the more difficult because of their weight. Although they do have a low center of Gravity with the fuel tank being under the seat.
OK, in order to turn, you must lean the bike. During normal riding, the lean is counteracted by ground speed. In low speed turns you have no ground speed, so you must somehow put weight on the outside of the bike.This can be done by hanging your outside butt cheek over the edge of the seat and applying pressure to that footpeg. Turn left= rh butt cheek and footpeg.
Speed control is important, before practicing the turning, practice just going as slow as possible. Learn how riding a little rear brake and slipping the clutch slightly with keeping throttle just off idle can help stabilize the bike. Work on that for a while, then incorporate a turn with it.
Progressively work to tighter and slower turns. Also remember that you turn where you look. Use this a queue to set up for your turn, looking where you want to go while shifting your weight and gaining speed control. Having a little power applied and braking at the same time can help hold the bike up just like hanging out over the outside of the seat.
Also practice your speed control in second gear, sometimes it smooths thing out.
A parking lot with lines is also helpful, as it gives you a goal, or spot to hit or turn to.
Good Luck and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

View attachment 274314
I'm originally from the swamps of La. and Bay St Louis. I miss the south when these northern winters hit.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome from N.Indiana and thank you for your service. Sounds like you are getting a handle on the mechanical challenges that owning and riding a vintage motorcycle.
As far as low speed riding goes, the early GL's are one of the more difficult because of their weight. Although they do have a low center of Gravity with the fuel tank being under the seat.
OK, in order to turn, you must lean the bike. During normal riding, the lean is counteracted by ground speed. In low speed turns you have no ground speed, so you must somehow put weight on the outside of the bike.This can be done by hanging your outside butt cheek over the edge of the seat and applying pressure to that footpeg. Turn left= rh butt cheek and footpeg.
Speed control is important, before practicing the turning, practice just going as slow as possible. Learn how riding a little rear brake and slipping the clutch slightly with keeping throttle just off idle can help stabilize the bike. Work on that for a while, then incorporate a turn with it.
Progressively work to tighter and slower turns. Also remember that you turn where you look. Use this a queue to set up for your turn, looking where you want to go while shifting your weight and gaining speed control. Having a little power applied and braking at the same time can help hold the bike up just like hanging out over the outside of the seat.
Also practice your speed control in second gear, sometimes it smooths thing out.
A parking lot with lines is also helpful, as it gives you a goal, or spot to hit or turn to.
Good Luck and enjoy.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Great information, thank you.

Reactions: Luv2fish and RUSHTK

·
Registered
610 Posts
Great looking bike, someone put a lot of time and love into the paint scheme. You can be proud to own a one of one that should get lots of thumbs up from fellow vets like me.👍

Reactions: Luv2fish and RUSHTK

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
Thank you for your service to our country and Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state (your neighbor). Enjoy the forum and that great looking bike..

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great looking bike, someone put a lot of time and love into the paint scheme. You can be proud to own a one of one that should get lots of thumbs up from fellow vets like me.👍
Thank you! I am going to send in copies of my dd214's to this company and have all my ribbons made into a sticker rack and put a set on each saddle bag.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts