Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left Canon City going west on hwy 50. It runs along the Arkansas River for about 25 miles with the river on one side and giant walls of rock on the other. Then I turned onto hwy 69 and rode first trrough large canyons and curves till I entered the Wet Mountain Valley to Westcliffe, Co through ranch country. Nothing but great scenery all the way.
Some stops along the way include Skyline Drive just outside Canon City. It is a paved 1 lane road that climes a ridge and has drop offs that will take your breath away on both sides till it ends up back in Canon City. Next a Few miles west of Canon you come to the Royal gorge wth its 1000 foopr bridge over the river. There you can walk the bridge, bunge jump in the gorge or zip line, ride the tram ,ride the cog train down to the river and back. Back on the Wing and on up the river and some of the greatest fly fishing in Colorado.
When you arive in Westcliffe stop for lunch at one of the restaurants
Back on the Wing and head east on 96 to Wetmore over the Wet Mountains look out for sharp curves and big horn sheep then north to Florence.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Sounds like a nice little trip Wolf but for us of course it's always a bonus to have pictures included.;):D

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
Sounds like a nice little trip Wolf but for us of course it's always a bonus to have pictures included.;):D
Fortunately for me, fossil, my co-workers mom lives in Canon City and he shares his pictures of the area after his annual visits. I have a pretty good feel for the area. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
White water rafted the Arkansas through the Royal Gorge a few years ago with my wife and son. Class 4 whitewater, a thrilling experience. That water is very chilly and requires a wet suit. Nice area, particularly to the north for riding. Rented a cabin there last year near Cripple Creek and had a blast as we trailered up our bike.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Sounds like a great ride, thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My wife and I did the same run about six weeks ago. It is a very beautiful area. Our favorite road on our trip was between Durango and Ouray (the Million Dollar HiWay- 550).
The mountain pass west of Canon city on 50 was awesome. Wish I was back in Colorado now.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Some stops along the way include Skyline Drive just outside Canon City. It is a paved 1 lane road that climes a ridge and has drop offs that will take your breath away on both sides till it ends up back in Canon City.
Not only is it 1 lane but isn't it 1 way also? Not sure about that but heard its a butt pucker of a ride...:eek:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Yep is is 1 way and the road is about 10' wide.
Well, then thats the 2nd ride in Colorado I will NOT take. My buddy up there has been trying to get me to do that ride with him but I have been hesitant because he is the one who talked me into going over Independence Pass. That was the first and last time I will ever do that ride again. Just not my cup of tea....but congrats to you for riding that road...:eek: Isaac

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Thanks for the trip report!

When I was about 10 years old my family did a western US loop including Yellowstone, the Tetons of Wyoming, and the Royal Gorge. Back then (1964) you could drive your car across it, two-lane, and the bridge was thick slabs of wood woven together with rope (my memory) but probably steel cable. I still remember how weird it felt crossing that bridge as our tires went clappity-clap across the wooden slabs (which you could see down through to the river below.)

Took my wife and kids there about 25 years later, by which time you could no longer drive across the bridge. Still, the view from the cliffs above where it's connected on each side is simply amazing.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Looks like a nice ride, thanks.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. That is a beautiful area and Colorado is on my list of places to ride to......

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
That is beautiful country up there. The bride and I rode from Canon City to Golden last summer. The scenery was stunning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts