Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on my first IBA from my hometown (Jordan, MN) to Sheridan WY and back. Bun Burner 1500. Left Saturday morning with an official start time of 6:37 AM. Got out to Sheridan in 102° heat, filled up, did the the usual receipt and odometer photo and recorded the necessary information. I was also using Bubbler/Spotwalla on my phone to track the trip. Turned around and got back to Gillette WY and checked in to a hotel, then walked two blocks to an Applebee's for a burger and a beer, then went back to the hotel. 861 miles for the day, could have done more.

My original plan was to do a nested ride, doing 1000 the first day, which would have taken me back to Rapid City, then ride the remainder on Sunday. For the life of me I could not find a hotel room in Rapid City for under $250 for one night, so I decided to just do the 1500 over two days and tie up for the night at Gillette for $70 plus tax. I will be doing a 1000 in late August with my son anyway.

Started out just before 5 AM this morning when dawn was just breaking. It was GREAT having I-90 all to myself in eastern Wyoming for a while. Even with traffic, it was a great ride until I got to Minnesota. (sigh) 150 miles or so from home my phone fell out of its mount and hit the pavement. I got stopped within about 200 feet on the shoulder and walked back to look for my phone. I found it, still laying in the right lane, and NOT yet run over. There I stood, in the grass waiting for traffic to clear so I could grab it when a Suburban coming by moved over a bit and ran right over it. DESTROYED it! Grabbed what was left hoping that the memory card would be good, but I could not even FIND the memory card! My heart immediately sunk way down because now my whole ride was for nothing and I will have to do it over, plus I still had to ride 2 1/2 hours just to get home. I completed the trip of 1524 miles with a total time of just under 34 hours.

Four lessons learned:
1. Make sure that EVERYTHING is backed up to a cloud server.
2. Make absolutely sure that the phone has some sort of tether so that it cannot be lost if it falls out of the mount.
3. Make sure that EVERYTHING is backed up to a cloud server.
4. Repeat items 1 through 3 at least TWICE.

So, it was a great ride and I really enjoyed it. It was easier to do than I expected. I could use the witness method in place of photos, as my wife was there when I left yesterday (she was going to work at the same time) and I called her from a payphone at the gas station to come down and photograph my last receipt and odometer when I got back to town this afternoon. BUT I do not have a witness at the far end in Sheridan. I remember the gas station attendant but I doubt that he would remember me. He had NO interest in doing his job or assisting customers, so he more or less was just 'there' in form but not really in function. My Spotwalla map was good except that it stopped when the phone died.

Oh well. It was a great learning experience, though!

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Sorry to hear about your phone. If you have the paper copies of your receipts I would still turn in what you have with the phone story. A picture of the phone would be good too. You have the Spotwalla map up to then so that helps verify it.

I did a run to Maine from Mississippi with a buddy who wanted to accomplish that 1500 miles in 36 hours. We didn't turn in anything electronic. Just the copies of the receipts and a paper map with our route marked.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, did they accept that? If so, how recently was that? From what I can gather, the reason for the photos of the receipts next to the bike odometer is to prove that a person actually completed the trip on a bike. The only photo I have is the last fill up when I returned home, which doesn't really prove much. I do have a photo of the phone sitting on the bike seat that my wife also took, and I have a short video taken near Gillette of hundreds of locomotives sitting in storage, and which was posted to Facebook. Sadly, I never posted any pics of the bike itself to Facebook. If I had loaded photos to the cloud, I would only be missing one fuel stop pic, which would more than likely be acceptable. I do plan on sending in everything that I have and see what shakes loose, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The only thing that might prove that I did this trip on my Wing is that I learned something on this trip about helmets and hot weather that I never knew before. I always wear a helmet on the bike, and I wear a modular helmet. Yes, once in a while I might ride down to the store or something without one, but it gives me a chance to listen for odd noises from the bike itself, too. Anyway, on this trip I wore my helmet for every mile. Out in Wyoming when it hit 102° I lifted up the chin bar and rode open faced for a short time - a very short time. The blast of hot air in the face was far more uncomfortable than leaving the chin bar down and opening the front visor one notch to assist in air flow through the helmet. Riding with no helmet would have been even worse with the sun trying to cook the top of my head as well. Until I purchased a modular helmet this year I always wore open faced helmets, so I could not have learned this tidbit for myself until now.

I love travelling in the west, so if I have to do this trip over sometime in the future, I won't mind that much!

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
My ride was in late 2019. My bet is they will take it, especially if you include a picture of your smashed phone.

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark, I'll give it a whirl.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
reading this it sounds like you did 861 miles the first day, is that correct

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that is correct. 861 on day one, 667 on day 2, 1528 total based on my odometer. Microsoft Streets and Trips says it is 1560 total.

I realize that on most Goldwings the speedometer and the odometer read high, but I installed a HealTech SpeedoHealer on my bike last spring, shortly after I purchased it. The speedometer now reads correctly and the odometer seems to be much closer too, but it appears that it might be reading a bit short now.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
to qualify for a SS 1000 you have to do it in less than 24hrs, a BBG 1500 miles in less than 24hrs. a BBS 1500 miles in 30hrs, it cant be broken up it has to be done all from the time you started and finished in the time less than the hours allowed. sad to say but at only 861 miles you did not make an SS 1000

Reactions: Snakebite

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know that and I only qualified for the BB1500, completing that in 34:02. In my original post I pointed out that my original plan was to do a nested ride, with 1000+ miles the first day, but decided against it because I did not want to pay $250 or more for a hotel in Rapid City. Sorry if I didn't make that very clear. Thanks for the clarification just the same!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
you did not qualify for a BB1500, the ride can't be split into a two day ride, you have 24 hours from the time you started ( 06:37 ) your 24 hours were up at 06:37 the next morning. you ride ended at the 861 miles so once again you didn't qualify for a SS 1000 or BB 1500
Ride List (ironbutt.org)

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
i will put this here for all to see. Terry i owe you apology, i am reading your post wrong. i was thinking of a bun burner gold or silver.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, now it all makes sense, and thank you. Knowing that you are an old hand at IBA rides, and me being new to them, I was trying to figure out what I was missing or what you knew that that I wasn't seeing, or where I was making an error. I have been guilty of my share of mistakes over the years too, which is why I broke everything down. The devil is in the details, and as hard as I looked I could not find what seemed to be missing.

Don't worry about it, no harm, no foul. I am just happy that we got it figured out!

Now, if you ever get over my way, be sure to give me a heads up so we can meet up for coffee and go for a ride together!

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My replacement phone arrived yesterday, and I nearly jumped for joy when during the process of getting it configured it asked if I wanted to do a restore from an automatic backup that was done on Sunday at 10:30 AM. I patiently awaited the restore to complete and found everything restored except my photos. Dangnabbit!! I guess my backups were not configured to backup my photos previously, but they are now! If the photos had been restored I would only be missing two gas stops, one from Mitchell, SD and one from Worthington, MN. Live and learn I guess.

All in all it was a great ride and I would gladly do it over again and make sure that all of my ducks were in a row. Sadly, there are too many other projects to get done in the next couple of months, so it will not happen this year. Oh well.

I will submit my stuff to the IBA this weekend and wait to see what shakes loose. If I get denied, I know one ride that I will be taking next year!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
head my way next year, Jim V. is talking about a Lake Superior IBA and an IBA ride with part of it being done in the U.P. and part being done in Canada. seeing that i've done Lake Superior so the U.P. / Canada run sounds good to me

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel your pain, my wife and I did multiple rides that would qualify for IBA. At the time weren't in any bike groups or on any forums etc, we just liked to ride, enjoy the scenery, sunrises and sunsets, while never knowing anything like IBA existed. Later we were laughingly telling a story about driving to the west coast from our house in MN we made good time getting into Missoula MT, and decided to head down HWY 12. While gassing up in Missoula we asked gas station guy if there were motels on 12, he said "yeah lots" what gas station guy didn't tell us they closed after labor day, long story short we finally stopped in Clarkston WA. The people we were telling the story to said might qualify as and "Iron Butt" and then told us about IBA. When we looked into IBA we realized we have unknowingly done a few others, Oh well...it's all about the ride and memories...right?? 😅😂

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
head my way next year, Jim V. is talking about a Lake Superior IBA and an IBA ride with part of it being done in the U.P. and part being done in Canada. seeing that i've done Lake Superior so the U.P. / Canada run sounds good to me
I will keep that in mind. So much of what I can do is related to timing as my work schedule can mess things up horribly for a scheduled ride. But if you guys can keep me in the loop I can see what shakes loose.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel your pain, my wife and I did multiple rides that would qualify for IBA. At the time weren't in any bike groups or on any forums etc, we just liked to ride, enjoy the scenery, sunrises and sunsets, while never knowing anything like IBA existed. Later we were laughingly telling a story about driving to the west coast from our house in MN we made good time getting into Missoula MT, and decided to head down HWY 12. While gassing up in Missoula we asked gas station guy if there were motels on 12, he said "yeah lots" what gas station guy didn't tell us they closed after labor day, long story short we finally stopped in Clarkston WA. The people we were telling the story to said might qualify as and "Iron Butt" and then told us about IBA. When we looked into IBA we realized we have unknowingly done a few others, Oh well...it's all about the ride and memories...right?? 😅😂
First, I see you are from MN, as am I. Howdy neighbor!

Second, I've done long rides in the past but never knew about the IBA until this year, so decided to give it a whirl. I don't particularly remember if any of my rides in the past would have qualified.

Third, I used to run between MN and Clarkston WA / Lewiston ID all the time with a semi-truck. I absolutely loved US 12 between Lolo and Lewiston and have not been out there in quite a few years now. I hope to get out there on a bike trip in the next year or so. When you were there did you ride the old Spiral Highway? It is the route that the highway from Spokane used to take to drop into Clarkston from the north. It was quite a road, lots of work in a truck, but would be fun on a bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, I see you are from MN, as am I. Howdy neighbor!

Second, I've done long rides in the past but never knew about the IBA until this year, so decided to give it a whirl. I don't particularly remember if any of my rides in the past would have qualified.

Third, I used to run between MN and Clarkston WA / Lewiston ID all the time with a semi-truck. I absolutely loved US 12 between Lolo and Lewiston and have not been out there in quite a few years now. I hope to get out there on a bike trip in the next year or so. When you were there did you ride the old Spiral Highway? It is the route that the highway from Spokane used to take to drop into Clarkston from the north. It was quite a road, lots of work in a truck, but would be fun on a bike!
Hello Neighbor, we are in East central MN approximately 10 miles W of a tiny town called Harris. We didn't ride it, but just looked up the Spiral hwy on google maps, that looks like a blast! Definately a to-do if we're back out there!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
I will keep that in mind. So much of what I can do is related to timing as my work schedule can mess things up horribly for a scheduled ride. But if you guys can keep me in the loop I can see what shakes loose.
Jim V. hasn't set a date yet but usually is sometime in mid June to early July. i plan to do the U.P. / Ontario ride on my ST 1100 and if he hosts an IBA ride in August i'll ride my GSA for that one. once a date has been set i'll let you know, oh and you could join the Lake Superior starting from MN but you will need a passport or enhanced license for the Canadian part of the ride

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem, Doc, I already have the enhanced license, so that will not be an issue. June and early July are usually a bad time of year for me, as I am typically busier than a one armed paper hanger. But, I will try to keep my options open and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts