Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I awoke to clear skies and 60 degrees. With a clear calendar and just a bit of a breeze, it was a perfect winter morning here in Texas for a ride. She Who Must Be Obeyed was at a mandatory Pediatric Nursing training seminar all day, so I put on the riding gear, backed the big bike out of the garage, and headed down to the local coffee house for a bit of octane before hitting the back roads.

I struck north through the suburbs and then west to pick up State Highway 455 which winds its way through the rolling hills of rural North Texas. The roads were clear and the smell of fresh cut grass filled the air. By mid-morning I was two-thirds of the way to Oklahoma and delighting in the early Spring day. Bradford Pears and Redbuds were in their full glory, and daffodils were making there cheerful appearance in numerous beds along the route. A red-tail hawk was cruising along my path, but he seemed more intent on riding the thermals than doing any serious hunting. I knew exactly how he felt.

Around noon I stopped in at a little diner in Celina, Texas and had a light meal; chicken fried steak, mash potatoes, cream gravy and sweet tea. Topped that off with a piece of sopapilla cheese cake. God, was it good! After fighting off the need to take a nap, I fired the Wing back up, noted the temperature was a blissful 77 degrees, and headed back for the barn the long way around, pulling in the drive about 3:00 p.m. A great day of riding in the great state of Texas.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Sounds like a good ride. Have done some riding in Texas when sister was alive and Living in Arlington. Some nice ridingwhen it's not hot.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Sounds like a good ride in the best of weather. 105f when we came back today. Too hot.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
sounds like a day of good fun willmax

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Sounds like a great ride Willmax. I live over near Tyler as I often ride around NE Tx. with some Burgman riders from Dallas. Wish I was around this weekend as this will be great riding weather with temps in the mid sixties. Headed to Oklahoma for a canoe trip. I've got about 100 miles on my new to me 95 GL 1500 which I recently purchased and just got out of the shop. Got a guy coming over here on Monday to buy my Burgman 400 Maxi Scooter. That scooter was fun to ride but compared to my 1500 there will be no tears shed.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Sounds like a great ride Willmax. I live over near Tyler as I often ride around NE Tx. with some Burgman riders from Dallas. Wish I was around this weekend as this will be great riding weather with temps in the mid sixties. Headed to Oklahoma for a canoe trip. I've got about 100 miles on my new to me 95 GL 1500 which I recently purchased and just got out of the shop. Got a guy coming over here on Monday to buy my Burgman 400 Maxi Scooter. That scooter was fun to ride but compared to my 1500 there will be no tears shed.
Glad to hear you got it out on the road. All said, I bet you will be happy with the changes that you had to do to get a 1500.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
This morning I awoke to clear skies and 60 degrees. With a clear calendar and just a bit of a breeze, it was a perfect winter morning here in Texas for a ride. She Who Must Be Obeyed was at a mandatory Pediatric Nursing training seminar all day, so I put on the riding gear, backed the big bike out of the garage, and headed down to the local coffee house for a bit of octane before hitting the back roads.

I struck north through the suburbs and then west to pick up State Highway 455 which winds its way through the rolling hills of rural North Texas. The roads were clear and the smell of fresh cut grass filled the air. By mid-morning I was two-thirds of the way to Oklahoma and delighting in the early Spring day. Bradford Pears and Redbuds were in their full glory, and daffodils were making there cheerful appearance in numerous beds along the route. A red-tail hawk was cruising along my path, but he seemed more intent on riding the thermals than doing any serious hunting. I knew exactly how he felt.

Around noon I stopped in at a little diner in Celina, Texas and had a light meal; chicken fried steak, mash potatoes, cream gravy and sweet tea. Topped that off with a piece of sopapilla cheese cake. God, was it good! After fighting off the need to take a nap, I fired the Wing back up, noted the temperature was a blissful 77 degrees, and headed back for the barn the long way around, pulling in the drive about 3:00 p.m. A great day of riding in the great state of Texas.
I am jealous of your winter weather. We are having one storm after another here. Everything is mossy or rusty.

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
Sounds like you had a perfect day for a ride. Glad you had the time to enjoy it. Ride safe..

·
Registered
24 Posts

Can you believe this week Willmax!
I actually got sunburned this week. Even if it was riding to and from work. By the way what is winter?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you believe this week Willmax!
I actually got sunburned this week. Even if it was riding to and from work. By the way what is winter?
Winter seems to be a no-show around here. We have ferns in the backyard that never died down to the ground. I came back from the ride on Thursday sporting a sunburn in addition to the grin on my face.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
Mild but snowing here today. Glad you can ride:cool:

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
I had to pull up Google map to see the roads you mentioned. It has been a good winter to ride. Winter isn’t over yet, still seeing robins in the woods here. Great descriptive trip report. You should be writing for a magazine.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to pull up Google map to see the roads you mentioned. It has been a good winter to ride. Winter isn’t over yet, still seeing robins in the woods here. Great descriptive trip report. You should be writing for a magazine.

The blue-bonnet crop is predicted to be the best in years here in Texas. Any chance you and your missus can make it over this way for the show?

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
The blue-bonnet crop is predicted to be the best in years here in Texas. Any chance you and your missus can make it over this way for the show?
When is the usual time for them to bloom? I'll check.

I spent a week in Burnet once for a training class at the Balconies Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge when some were blooming. Can't remember the exact time of spring. Lots of motorcycles around and I was wishing I had mine.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When is the usual time for them to bloom? I'll check.

I spent a week in Burnet once for a training class at the Balconies Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge when some were blooming. Can't remember the exact time of spring. Lots of motorcycles around and I was wishing I had mine.
Around the 3rd week in April is the usual peak, but the information I read said to expect them a week or two early this year. There's probably a web site somewhere that has a forecast--I'll see if I can find one.

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
Thanks. If I do not go up to Michigan for a family thing the last of March I'll keep this in mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts