Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does your Wing handle on gravel and/or dirt roads?

I have the Bridgestone tires that are almost new and my Wing feels like a death trap. It's all over the place no matter what speed and/or gear I'm in. Gives you a REAL Pucker Factor!!

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
How does your Wing handle on gravel and/or dirt roads?

I have the Bridgestone tires that are almost new and my Wing feels like a death trap. It's all over the place no matter what speed and/or gear I'm in. Gives you a REAL Pucker Factor!!
I can agree there. Just ask Steve and his 5 mile (200 Yards) gravel drive way which he loosens every year with a blade.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Have done hundreds of miles on dirt/gravel roads and still pucker up when I first hit them. The wing will handle them just fine . You just have to learn to relax and not fight it.

·
Premium Member
23,674 Posts
A car tire can increase the pucker factor by 2. You would think it would be the opposite having a broader surface of contact .

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
As Lee noted I have a good stretch of loose gravel to negotiate to get out of my house and on to pavement. It does well to wake you up to make sure you're alert before you hit any traffic.

There are so many different types of gravel roads. The worse are like my road that has a couple of inches of loose gravel on a hard packed surface. I've found that going about 10 MPH with little to no throttle and keeping a loose grip on the steering helps a lot. If you find the sweet spot between giving the bike some room to move without too much room to move you'll be fine.

What scares me more is the loose gravel on hard pavement where a gravel road meets a paved road. It's like hitting a bunch of marbles on the road.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,578 Posts
I hated gravel roads and metal bridges you could see through. I will say the Vette handles the bridges better and it never goes on gravel roads. LOL

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Like many things riding related, operations on gravel are directly proportional to the amount of practice by the rider. As mentioned, don't use a "death grip" on the bars and let the bike do it's thing. They are almost always more adept than we are.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I will agree riding a large bike on gravel is a bit unnerving but does improve with practice. Obviously I now ride trikes so gravel have become my main mode of riding. I have come across so many interesting areas and sights that can only be experienced via these gravel and dirt roads. Fact is the trike idea was a direct result of my obsession with backroads. Normally I do 8-10k on gravel every year mostly on my Valkyrie but also on wings.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
A car tire can increase the pucker factor by 2.
Yes, that was very true with my Yokohama tire, the Hankook that I am now running really is not too bad on the gravel. Still don't like the real loose stuff.

·
Premium Member
23,674 Posts
Yes, that was very true with my Yokohama tire, the Hankook that I am now running really is not too bad on the gravel. Still don't like the real loose stuff.
Luv2fish's road and driveway is the real test.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Luv2fish's road and driveway is the real test.

I saw a gravel road one time but that's as close as I get. Pucker is not in my riding vocabulary!!!

Someday if I get an invite to Steve's driveway I'll call an Uber from where the pavement ends.

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
while my wing doesn't like gravel roads dirt roads are a different story, just shift into second gear light on the throttle and let the torque pull it along. if I feel the need to pucker on dirt roads then there is the Mighty ST 1300 which takes a very light touch on the throttle in any gear on a dirt road

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have to negotiate 1/4 mile of gravel road everytime I leave the house. I learned years ago, to loosen the hand grip on the handlebars and let the front wheel track pretty much where it wants to. Don't fight it. And, stay off the front brake.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Oh I would agree a CT especially a RF or one overinflated will definitely cause more stress while not only riding gravel but uneven surfaces in general. There are advantages to a CT if done properly but also disadvantages, nothing is perfect.

I think the biggest deterrent for most is just dirt and dust, we like our bikes shiny and clean. Good reason to own two, one for week days and one for church days :)

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
While gravel can be a test of one's mettle, sand is real bear, I avoid that at all costs.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I saw a gravel road one time but that's as close as I get. Pucker is not in my riding vocabulary!!!

Someday if I get an invite to Steve's driveway I'll call an Uber from where the pavement ends.
Can see Brian's wing sitting out by the road now. Everyone else arriving:wink2: going "huh"

·
Registered
203 Posts
My old driveway was 4-6 inches of loose beach rock, with a steep downhill grade, then a sharp turn and a short but very steep grade down to the road. It was often washed out on one side, 6"-12" deep, and there was a telephone pole inside the sharp turn, with a muddy ditch on the outside.

It was pucker-licious to say the least, and the bike would sink 4 inches into the beach rocks every time I traversed the driveway, so I had to leave the house on one line, and then come back into the garage along another line, then go back and fill in the rut with my foot.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Steve's driveway, to me was interesting, as you have to make a right turn (just over 90 degrees) in the middle to go around his pond, when going in. ON REAL LOOSE gravel. And yes, it did almost get away from me.

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
Steve's driveway, to me was interesting, as you have to make a right turn (just over 90 degrees) in the middle to go around his pond, when going in. ON REAL LOOSE gravel. And yes, it did almost get away from me.
We now refer to that as JC's corner. Not necessarily from his name but more from the exclamation we heard while he was navigating it. :)

Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts