Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a GPS for the bike...just wondering what type of GPS units are out there and what features are neccessary and the pros and cons of each unit....any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) What Brand and Model?
2) What Features Do You Like?
3) What Type of Mount?
4) Left or Right Side of Handle Bars Do You Have iT Mounted?
5) Mounted...Any Where Else?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Garmin 200W (it was given to me by a friend that upgraded)
Speedo readout, miles traveled, EST.
Home made mount
mounted on left side
It stays there.
If I was to buy one I would get a garmin unit that has an MP3 player built in and that will track where you have been and will allow you to download your specific route into it.
BUT since I don't take long trips anymore due to my wife not being able to ride, the one I have is just fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have A Garmin 255wt same one as i us in my truck has speedo and good maps. works good
use a ram mount only mount to have
mounted on left side

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Garmin 265wt. Just for conversation, I sent it home on the 1st week of our trip. I either used paper map or Google maps on the netbook.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garmin 265wt. Just for conversation, I sent it home on the 1st week of our trip. I either used paper map or Google maps on the netbook.
OK Fossil...you got me...why did you send it home.....what did you not like about the GPS...I only ask...because I wonder if I am just being lazy and taking the easy way out...I still do not even have a GPS for the car yet....so I ask myself ...why do I need it with the bike...but it seemed (or appears) that everyone has one and (I thaught) they liked it....I am hoping this thread points this out...:)

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
OK Fossil...you got me...why did you send it home.....
1st let me say this is just one ole fossils opinion.

I did not have it mounted, I had it in the backrest pouch & purely for finding places like food & fuel. For me I think I have enough to do on a bike watching for trouble & enjoying the scenery to be playing around with electronics to boot. I know their usefullness but it doesn't interest me much. I can read a map & have a decent sense of direction. Oh & I guess I really didn't try very hard to use it either.

Now before this thread turns into a big debate & all you guys tell me I'm crazy & beat me down to try to get me turned to the darkside, You have to know 2 things about "The Fossil" #1-I'm getting old & I've always been set in my ways (getting worse as I get older) & #2-I don't really care. So GPS if it trips your trigger but I've got better things to do.

LET THE BEATINGS COMMENCE.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have a magelin roademate that i take with me once in a while but like fossil92 i don't have a mount for it but it did help me find a great route to detour on

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I think Fossil wins...I think I will save my money....heck I don't even use a debit card...still go to the bank and write checks

...I love to use maps and also have a sense of direction...my philosophy is to just follow the bike...where ever it takes me is always a good road....

Safe Ride....

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 680 that moves from cage to the bike. I bought it as a referb unit on eBay. I like that it has bluetooth, that I can sync up with my phone and an FM transmitter that sends the voice to the audio system. It sits on a Ram mount on the left side. The two things that are/can be a problem are the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight with sunglasses on and the unit is not waterproof, so it either has to come off in the rain or be covered with a plastic zip bag.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Well, I think Fossil wins...I think I will save my money....heck I don't even use a debit card...still go to the bank and write checks

...I love to use maps and also have a sense of direction...my philosophy is to just follow the bike...where ever it takes me is always a good road....

Safe Ride....
Case in point MarkH. Three of us leave fossil's on Sunday and head back to Virginia. The lead rider and I both have our GPS on. We follow the lead rider and his route takes us towards Baltimore, MD. Close to Baltimore the lead rider pulls off and says the expected route he thought we would return on was somehow missed by him. I say's to the lead rider, " We didn't miss anything, we are taking a different route home. "

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
My 'GPS' is a road atlas!

Isn't getting lost half the fun anyway?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Garmin 885T. Has an mp3 player and bluetooth with a built in FM transmitter to hit the radio. I can cruise to the tunes through my headset, hear the CB, yippee, see and hear when a call comes through. This one grabs my phonebook and I have a visual on who is calling. Kind of tough to talk since I can't use the headset but at least I know who called.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1 Nuvi 200, had it for 4 years works great.
2 All I'm looking for is the routing info. (I personally do not need the British girl talking to me and I don't need the music since I have it on the bike already.
3 I have the ram mounts on my bike there are 2 1" balls on both handle bars. I have the gps and Ipod on the left side and a drink holder on the right side. The ram mounts are great.

Nelson
Eastern NC

I am looking to buy a GPS for the bike...just wondering what type of GPS units are out there and what features are neccessary and the pros and cons of each unit....any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) What Brand and Model?
2) What Features Do You Like?
3) What Type of Mount?
4) Left or Right Side of Handle Bars Do You Have iT Mounted?
5) Mounted...Any Where Else?

Thanks...

·
Registered
449 Posts
1st let me say this is just one ole fossils opinion.

I did not have it mounted, I had it in the backrest pouch & purely for finding places like food & fuel. For me I think I have enough to do on a bike watching for trouble & enjoying the scenery to be playing around with electronics to boot. I know their usefullness but it doesn't interest me much. I can read a map & have a decent sense of direction. Oh & I guess I really didn't try very hard to use it either.

Now before this thread turns into a big debate & all you guys tell me I'm crazy & beat me down to try to get me turned to the darkside, You have to know 2 things about "The Fossil" #1-I'm getting old & I've always been set in my ways (getting worse as I get older) & #2-I don't really care. So GPS if it trips your trigger but I've got better things to do.

LET THE BEATINGS COMMENCE.
Ya just gotta love the ole fossil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got my Wing recently and for the little bit of time I have been riding it, I have been using the built in Nav unit. I have a Tom Tom that I use in one car and a Pioneer Nav system in my Expedition and I think the one on the bike works just fine. It is a little hard to program given its location on the right side but I have figured out everything I need to with it and it works well.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Just as a reply to something Fossil said, I think there is something to be said about not entirely known where you are going but just have a general direction. It can be surprising what you might find.

Saying that, I have 3 GPS's. One which came with my bike, 08, a Tom Tom and a Garmin. The Tomtom gives you more options when planning a route like, I want to travel on this road or not travel on these roads. I have not used either on the bike but if I was I would take the Tomtom. I'm still with Fossil in that I think you might miss some interesting places but I still know that when you in our cities they can get you to your destination pretty easy. Good for finding the nearest beer store also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Pizazzo 2012 Extreme has an MP3 player, a color television set, a margarta blender, and a jacuzzi. It forecasts the weather, tracks my email, and fixes flat tires. I really love the autopilot feature. I got it for just $12,000 on eBay.
MY POINT IS---
It's a trade-off. How much do you want this gadget to do? And how much money do you want to spend to have the thing DO it? Only you can answer that question.
My wife paid 89 bucks for her GPS on clearance. She only wants it to do one thing, and that's all it's set up to do. She can plug it in and tell it to take her home. Period.
I wanted a bit more functionality, so I paid a bit more. But I really don't care about gas prices and voices from animated characters. I don't need the foolish thing to play music; I ride a Gold Wing, for Christ's sake. I still carry maps and stop at rest areas to study theirs. I bet I don't turn the GPS on for 75% of my rides.
But I ride with people who can't bike to the grocery store without navigational services and Homer Simpson in their ear. They scour the GPS to decide where to buy gas and where to eat lunch.
You decide where you fall in the spectrum, and then look at your bank account. It's a bike accessory, not a staus symbol. Happy shopping.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I'm orignial I don't have GPS, I just use a map and a compass. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts