Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2006 GL1800 with the built in GPS. I use it all the time and was happy until I read about the modifications for the GPS on the 2012 Goldwing. Is there any way to update the GPS in my bike to the 2012 type?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's a totally different unit. And if you read about the new one it's not all that great either. A lot of people with them are complaining about them. Get a Garmin NUVI for about $150 and it will do anything and everything you want it to. My 755 plays MP3 through my helmet, has traffic alerts, custom points of interests, you can upload a route to it from your computer and a lot more.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
For the $$ investment, you can't beat Joe's advice on the Nuvi. There may still be an upgraded SD card available through Honda US to bring it up to the 2010 data-base, but if it's like the CF card update here in Canada it's some pretty serious coin (over $300 retail). It does improve the mapping and screen detail, but it's still the same lamented system. I'm much happier with my upgraded card, but bang for the buck is low.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
There is a guy who sells the map update cards for the GW. He gets about $40 for the card. His first name is Quinten, I think. I bought one of his cards last year and it worked perfectly. Now its only the MAP update, not the Firmware updates. I have googled my old posts but I can't find it but I think this is his email address. You might check with him about updates and its for sure its way cheaper than going to Garmin. Try emailing him at [email protected] and see what he has for you.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
OK, I found my email from Quinten...Here it is...

Isaac,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the maps for the GL1800.

I sell a 2GB CF card with Garmin's City Navigator North America (CNNA ver 9.0) 2009 non-NT (US & Canada) pre-programmed unlocked for the 2006-2008 GL1800 for $35 shipped.

CNNA 2009 non-NT is the latest mapset for the 2006-2008 GL1800. I guarantee the maps/card, if dissatisfied return for a full refund.

To order, please Pay Pal $35 to my email address or if you wish I can send you a Pay Pal invoice. I also accept USPS or Walmart Money Orders (see address below).

Regards,
Quinton Grubbs, Jr.
113 William Way
Macon GA 31261-6160
GL1800Guy
[email protected]

CF Card Instructions

Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

Open the main trunk, push the latch on the left side of the NAVI box to open the cover, and eject the current CF memory card by pushing the eject button located directly above the card. Note the direction of the ridge on the back of the CF card. Save this old card as a back-up.

Next insert the NEW CF card in the NAVI. Be careful to insert the card with the ridge in the same direction as the original and line up the pins. The eject button should pop out, indicating the card is seated. Make sure to close the NAVI box cover and push the latch to the right until it clicks. Check the cover is securely closed.

Turn the Bike & Navi on as usual. The new maps will load automatically.

The maps will read “City Navigator North America 2009 non-NT”.

Go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It's a totally different unit. And if you read about the new one it's not all that great either. A lot of people with them are complaining about them. Get a Garmin NUVI for about $150 and it will do anything and everything you want it to. My 755 plays MP3 through my helmet, has traffic alerts, custom points of interests, you can upload a route to it from your computer and a lot more.
What type of bracket did you use,and did you say it plugs into your
mp3 port ,one last thing your Nuvi what model is it Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts