Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new GPS. Dont really know what is out there. what are some of you using and what kind of features do you like?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I honestly never saw a need for one. My wife is the navigator anyway. but if I was to have one I think I would pick the Garmen as my son uses his and really says it's easy to use while riding. I'd have to find out what model though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha... ya I really don't trust the wife with the directions. Don't know if i would trust the Nav. Ive so used to mapping out my routes for years...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a tomtom go510 in my car, its amazing. I got mine fairly cheap, its got great maps, easy to customize(uses a SD card, so i can slide it into my computer, change the voices that it gives directions with, can even get a program for it to watch movies and play mp3's.) But best of all, is its very very durable....This thing has been dropped so many times, the touch screen is also very durable...my 2 year old plays with it like its his toy. The 510 might not be the best for a bike, but my point is.... TomTom's are very strong and durable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just go and get a wing with built in nav. Works good nuff for me and the lady givin directions has a sweet voice...lol
Oh ya, easy for you to say, you going to lend me the extra dough? I did sit on a new one at the dealer a week or so ago. Burnt orange color. Very Nice!

·
Super Moderator
15,254 Posts
i use a magellin t2200 mostly to know the area i'm in not to navigate frome here to there

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gps

I have been using a Garmin Zumo 550 for a couple years and prefer it to the built-in Honda NAVI. The Zumo was designed for motorcycle use. It has integrated BlueTooth so you can hook your phone to it, it has an MP3 player, it has touch-screen interface, is water tight, has a slot for an SD card, it can be integrated right into the GW audio system with third-party adapters, and on and on. It comes with software for your computer so that you can plan routes and then download them to your Zumo.

It's a shame Honda didn't let Garmin design the Honda NAVI; instead, Honda dictated to Garmin what they wanted. Can you imagine what a Gold Wing would look like if Garmin designed it? Why would Honda think they could design a navigation system?

There are many units out there. Just find one that meets your needs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a Zumo 550 I've been using on my Springer and I really like it. Aside from the features the Zumo has that the Goldwing nav does not, something else I like about it is that you can plan and set up your route off your PC. Garmin's map software isn't fantastic, but it's still nice to sit down, find some key places I want to check out on a road trip, and set up the trip to make sure I go through those places.

The Goldwing I just picked up has Nav in it, which was not 100% by choice. Unfortunately, if you want ABS you get Nav with it, plus the last 2008 the dealer I went to had was the Nav/ABS. On the plus side, when all was said and done they knocked a few grand off the price so it mitigated the cost of the Nav. With the Nav built in I don't have to worry about taking the Zumo off at every stop and locking it in the trunk, so there is a bright side. Hopefully I can just jot down my keypoints off routes planned with the Garmin software and just plug those in to the Nav on the Goldwing to plan my routes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Comment

Tralfaz:

Yes, it would be nice if Honda would allow you to get the options you want instead of bundling them. I guess their philosophy is that they only want three flavors (four now, with the airbag). Unfortunately, they have decided that if you want ABS, you have to pretty much get everything else.

Frankly, I think their NAVI is substandard, compared to Garmin's offerings. I'd have gladly given that up if I could have purchased a GL18 with ABS and prem audio alone.

However, some folks just love the NAVI (maybe because they have no experience with a GPS device that is more user friendly).

You know the old cliche: "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please everyone all the time." Bummer....:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
As dumb as it would be, I'm half tempted to put a mount for my Zumo on my Goldwing even though it has the NAVI. Ultimately, though, I'll just work with the NAVI and see how it goes. My biggest problem now is that I can't use my existing bluetooth helmet system with the NAVI. Any suggestions on a half decent helmet headset that doesn't cost $250? I've already got enough money invested in other audio solutions, and I think it's essential to get the voice cues from a nav system so you don't have to look at the screen to know a turn is coming up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As dumb as it would be, I'm half tempted to put a mount for my Zumo on my Goldwing even though it has the NAVI. Ultimately, though, I'll just work with the NAVI and see how it goes. My biggest problem now is that I can't use my existing bluetooth helmet system with the NAVI. Any suggestions on a half decent helmet headset that doesn't cost $250? I've already got enough money invested in other audio solutions, and I think it's essential to get the voice cues from a nav system so you don't have to look at the screen to know a turn is coming up.
The Zumo550 is BlueTooth capable, so mounting it to your Wing would give you not only the navigation prompts, but you'd also get to integrate your phone through the Zumo, as well as have an MP3 MP3 player to listen to. There are also 3P devices to fully integrate the Zumo audio-out functions directly into the Wing's systems for wired helmets, but I haven't considered that expense yet. At this point, I've got a Ram mount that mounts to the clutch reservoir to hold my Zumo and just have it powered from the Wing (someday I may integrate it--maybe--but the BlueTooth helmet seems a less-expensive option here).
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got this 01 1800 a goldwing and I have a garmin nuvi 750 , the problem is I can `t find anyway to hook it up nor a place to put it and I use the gps all the time while `m traveling for all sort of things , any Ideas out there

·
Registered
161 Posts
We just a trip through the NC an VA mountains, I used my Garmin Nuvi
unit from my car. This worked well just stuck on the windshield with the suction cup mount. I really liked having the GPS so I could see the road ahead of me on the unit. I always had an idea of the turns coming up on roads that I have never traveled. What did have issues with is that this unit is not weather proof, we some rain, but the unit was fine. It never got wet as we moving. This unit is maybe a 100 dollars the big problem is that tit is not bright enough in the sun.

I think a regular car unit that is inexpensive will work well if it has a bright enough screen. Anyone one else think the same> if so what is a good bright unit that works without dropping 500 dollars for the Zumo?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Garmin Zumo 660, specificly designed for M/C use. It is easy to use, is mounted easly with the optional Ram mount, works well with gloves, and can be intergrated with the Wing sound system. On the flip side it has some maddening quirks such as it does not show the upcomming towns.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a TomTom Rider and it has bluetooth but I don't use that. The screen gives me plenty of info so I don't need promps. Its waterproof and easly updated and I've had it for years so I'm use to it. That might be the best thing about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts