Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a garmin Nuvi 200W, which I just stick on the windshield with the suction cup mount.
it works great, never has fallen off and its inexpensive.
Problem though its to dim to read most of the time.

I don't want to spend 500-600 for a " motorcycle " GPS.

Any recommendations for a replacement unit that can be seen in sunlight with glasses on?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I have about the same thing, maybe a 205 or something. I have the same issue and went to Radio Shack and bought a mono ear plug and put it in battery save mode. It comes on when I get close and if I can't see it, I can listen to it.

Sounds like a pain but in reality, I usually know most of the route even if it is a path less traveled. It's the last few turns or miles to a destination off the beaten path that I need one anyway.

Already had the gps so I have 4 more bucks in the mc version.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've used a couple of Zumo's and they were pretty good, but more expensive than what you've got. I did find that it's possible to get 'ahead' of the units' nav updates in heavy traffic and therefore miss certain turns or lane changes. Route highlights and indicators were very legible though. The units were 600 and 650 models if I recall correctly.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I have the garmin Nuvi 205W. GPScity.com sold me the ram mount that goes onto the handlebar for $40.00 I also ordered a sun screen do hickey that clips on the top of it to shield it from the sun and it does a pretty good job. I can see it most of the time. If I need to, I can adjust it out of the way of the glare to be able to read it while riding..... even though we are not supposed to be screwing around with such items while driving.

Also, I turned the sound all the way up on it, and can hear it even on the freeway if I am wearing my half helmet. My full faced, no.

BTW, I used to use the sucker mount until it came off while I was riding and it bounced off and hit the road hard. The power on / off button disapeared but the darn thing still powers up when it gets power supplied to it, so I use that one in my pickup and got a new (used off of ebay) for my bike. Then I bought the ram mount system.

The ram works great for the gps, the phone and my camera. see picture. I don't have the clip on sun block do hickie on in the picture.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Larry, you have a busy cockpit there, do you think you could back up a little and send a picture of the CT :)

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Perhaps what you are experiencing is glare which makes the GPS difficult to see in sunlight. I ordered one of these which may be of some help.

http://glarestomper.com/

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to hijack my own thread but that is great looking tire Larry :)
I have 8500 miles on my Dunlop and it is about done.

I am having trouble checking out other GPS units at various stores around here. Nobody has these units on display on their own power.
Some of the display models are even damaged, behind a glass display, on just the box for the unit.

I was thinking I could carry my unit in on battery and see if a display unit was all that much brighter. Another issue is that I will be 50 this year and my eyes are straining to see things right in front of me.
Getting older sucks.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Not to hijack my own thread but that is great looking tire Larry :)
I have 8500 miles on my Dunlop and it is about done.

I am having trouble checking out other GPS units at various stores around here. Nobody has these units on display on their own power.
Some of the display models are even damaged, behind a glass display, on just the box for the unit.

I was thinking I could carry my unit in on battery and see if a display unit was all that much brighter. Another issue is that I will be 50 this year and my eyes are straining to see things right in front of me.
Getting older sucks.
I just turned 58 in July.

58 is good considering the alternatives.

Fishing is good.

Judge Judy is good.

Motorcycling on a car tire is good.

Any more questions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts