Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife and i will be heading to the blue ridge parkway this fall and would appreciate any reccomendations for a gps unit for my 2004 goldwing.i've heard that glare can be an issue on some units.anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suggest the Garmin Zumo 550. Made for bikes, will allow "on the fly" use of all functons. Waterproof, screen is touch activated and works wih gloved fingers, Batery life isn't greaat, however the cradle mount can be wired to the bike.

Sponge Bob
Tucson AZ

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am also looking for a new GPS. I have a TomTom GO730. Screen washes out in bright sunlight.
Anyone have a GPS that the screen is BRIGHT/READABLE in direct sunlight?
Rob

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I have a Garmin Map 76 Cx. It is attached to the bike with a RAM mount at the clutch reservoir. It is a simple unit that doesn’t talk to me and I normally just have it as a rolling map to show where I’m at and what is coming up. It is easy to zoom in or out and adjust the angle of the unit. I have not had any trouble with the sun washing out the screen. I can hook it up to my computer to put in a route or scroll around the map to pick a place to head toward. The map in my head is still my main guide as the route the machine wants to take isn’t always the best way or seeing all I intend to see.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Zumo's are great, I just could not justify $600 for a GPS, so I have a a Garmin 680 that I bought referbd on eBay. The only problem I have is the screen washout. It's a great unit with bluetooth for my phone and a FM transmitter so I can hear the directions through the audio system. It's not waterproof, but that's why they make zip lock bags... If I could solve the washout it would be great. I have seen hoods that fit over the units to help block the sun which from what folks say, helps see the screen. Have not tried that route yet..

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
I use a Fossil1957. It never lets me down. I don't have to listen to any voices or any glare on the screen.

Oh wait a minute I don't use a gps at all. Sorry.:D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've heard the best remarks about the 550 other than a bit pricey. Before my 1800 with the Navi, I used one of the two Garmin portables I have in my plane, both Garmins with land data bases 196 grey scale and 296 colour. The 196 is a bit weak in sunlight, but the 296 is awesome, and both are water-resistant (submersible for up to 30 minutes in up to 3'). Both have 12v plugs so I can use them in the truck if I want. Still carry maps in unknown territory though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Zumo 550 for me (but not until the factory nav gets too outdated). I played with one on display at Fry's Electronics a few months ago and was very impressed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went to the zumo 600 to replace my street pilot 2610

Cool little unit. i look at a gps as a investment not a cost. I have had my 2610 for 5 years. It has more than paid for itself with all the use I got out of it. Oh, it still works good. They stopped making new maps for it.

Did not want XM.

just a thought

dd

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Fossil has it

Same here Fossil, I would be tinkering with the gimmick and not see the pothole. No GPS for me. Save the 600 for gas to go somewhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Use the gps for what it is. It isn't a TV you know.
That's what I like about the zumo 600. Large screen and only have to look when I hear the command.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bottom line is this, overall Garmin is the best product when all things are considered i.e. reliability, user friendly and customer service.

Just my humble opinion, which you can take to Starbucks with $5 and buy a latte.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
One more thing whatever unit you decide to get (Garmin) be sure to get a unit that speaks street names. In other words some units will just say "turn right in 200' or turn right here", while other units say to turn and give you the specific street name. Much easier!

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's one advantage of the factory Nav over aftermarket... Tinkering, with the exception of zooming in or out, is virtually impossible when the bike is moving, unless of course you overide this SAFETY feature.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This thread has been very helpful. I am about to bite the bullet. Anyone using the Garmin 660 or 665? Any comments on this model?
Rob

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
My problem isn't what GPS to buy (there's plenty out there) What mount is everybody using for the Garmin's ?? No round handle bars on my 2010 GW.......

·
Registered
402 Posts
My problem isn't what GPS to buy (there's plenty out there) What mount is everybody using for the Garmin's ?? No round handle bars on my 2010 GW.......
RAM mounts are probably your best bet to find a mount/cradle for a specific GPS unit (I usually buy from www.gpscity.com). They sell the cradles, arms and ball mounts separately so you can customize the install to fit your needs.

I bought the brake/clutch lever mount with dual balls which can be installed on either side for multiple accessories. I use mine on the right side for my radar detector and my MP3 player (both cordless).

For some reason, the spacers that fit into the screw holes for the brake lever mount were too large, so I machined two aluminum spacers to get the needed clearance (see photos). You could probably stack flat washers as needed to get the necessary clearance if the RAM spacers did not work.

RAM mounts are very well constructed and easily removed when leaving your bike unattended.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Thanks Radarsdad,,,,,,,,,,That's just what I was looking for. The pictures helped a lot.......Dick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts