Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found myself using my GPS more and more and I keep finding that while the on-board GPS does OK, its a PITA to program the thing for anything more than one or two stops. For example, when loading a trip, you have to load the destination first, let it calculate the route, then edit the route and add each stop. With only the five buttons, that gets old really quick.

So, my question is this: Which add-on GPS unit do you recommend for use on my 2010 GL1800? I know this is a loaded question, but after seeing that a new Garmin 550 for motorcycles is being sold for over $1,000.00, that sticker shock has made me question my sanity. Since I can't see trading in my bike for a 2012 just to get the GPS upgrade, I'm looking to find something that will let me preplan a route while sitting at the computer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1350LMT that I like. It has the same problem as other units with glare and it's not waterproof, but I installed a "glare stomper" shade and that seems to help a lot. I paid under $200 for mine with life time map updates. You may be able to find refurb units on eBay for less and then just buy a Square Trade warranty.

The Zumo's are great, but are expensive.

·
Premium Member
24,515 Posts
I used a Garmin 660 in Ireland last year and it worked very well. I did find that I could ride faster than the unit would keep up with under certain circumstances though (multiple exits on roundabouts, multiple exit ramps on multi lane motorways etc) so it wasn't perfect either. Good readability on the dispay, easy to learn/operate and best of all: waterproof! Likely a fair pricey unit though.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
i use a magellen 2200t and a zip lock bag. i purchased a magellen 3045lmt but haven't used it on the wing yet

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a TomTOM Rider I've had for years and I have map update which means it is updated every month. On my trip to Colorado the first week of June I needed a campground to end the day. The dang thing took me to 3 out of busness campgrounds. So out came the map. I like my TomTom but you also need the reliable maps.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
i have the garmin zumo 660 , i love it easy to use , easy to see , built in mp3 player , the thing does everything ,cost 699.99

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx on a Ram mount. It uses batteries but I get a two or three days out of a set of AA's. I usually just use it as a moving map but do put in my destinations and along with paper maps ignore the "recalculating" until it figures out the way I'm going. I can do a route on the computer and input it into the unit but have never done that. I does have a limitation on how much map it can hold. Last year I had to leave out a little on our trip to Pennsylvania. This years loop through Texas and New Mexico held all I needed. If I was doing a bigger trip I would need my computer or just load maps where I thought it would work best. Good enough for me as I do have paper maps at all times.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the fellow in front of me who knows where I'm going. Rapier, you just crossed the continent and back last year. You never called me once to say you were lost.
Sheesh, that wasn't anything, Maestro. Truth be told, I rarely used the GPS on that trip. It was just using a mapbook, finding what was in range that day and heading out.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Here is a little trick you might try. Instead of telling the GW Navi to go from A to Z.., before you leave, pick out some of the cities along the way you want to go to. Tell it to find them and then save them as Favorites. Then when you start the trip, just go from A to B (first town). When you get there, look at your favorites and select the next city and tell it to go there. It will pick up from where your at and plot the course to that city. Just step up through the towns that way and you will save a lot of time and headache. Just a thought cause its gonna lead you astray of you tell it to plot and take you the whole route. I use a Garmin 760 as a backup, handle bar, ram mounted. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.