Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i dont use the Goldwing NAV system and i don't really need to see anything else on the display screen (like what?) I am thinking/wondering if a Zumo would fit right into that small window where the current display is.. like the backside of the Zumo resting right on top of the display window, recessed into that window framed area. First, does it even fit into that area? Second question is would the GPS work in that space or would it need to be placed outside of the window frame like a few inches removed from the display screen in the direction of the driver to get line of sight to the satellites?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you would have to try that to know if it will work

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would think you would have to get someone to post the measurements of the screen and then measure the GPS unit. But You probably could use the window mount and that would make the unit stick out past the indentation and it should work that way.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK... thanks. I wasn't aware of a window mount but that sounds like it would work.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Donald:
Think about what your going to lose if you block out your screen area. Won't be able to see things such as what system is activated (CB, INT, AUX, etc), and whether its Headphone or Speakers. Things like Trip A, B. Presets, outside temp. All displayed on the screen. Just buy a Ram mount and you will be happier I think. :)
Isaac

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issac, yes, I thought about this during my ride to and from Jacksonville last week. I looked at all the 'info' provided by the display and went down the list one by one thinking/asking "do I need to know this". On the return trip, I went exploring and I didn't have a map. This was the first time I really used (and needed) the onboard NAV system and yes I confirmed what we already know... it stinks. I also came to the conclusion that if the Honda NAV system were truely a top notch functioning GPS that it would be positioned just perfectly (for me) right where it is. That's when I started thinking. I don't use a CB, I don't have headphones, no CD, never listen to local radio and as a matter of fact I'd like to remove the 1 antenna I have on the bike... when I want music I just listen to Satellite radio. I do have an iPod but I haven't used it on the bike. Do I need to 'see' what's activated when I can just leave it on and mute it? Presets? I just hit a number until I hear something I like. Trip A/B I can get from my GPS. Temperature I do like knowing just for the heck of it and that can be provided by other means rather simply.
Anyway, after going thru this checklist in my mind I started seeing a clearer picture of a Zumo mounted right there front and center. I'm not saying I will do it... not yet, but it is starting to come into focus.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Aside from the info display being blocked, you eed to consider what is going to happen sometime down the roald if you were to ever sell the bike. Having the info display blocked would be a huge negative for me as a dealer or as a prospective buyer. I'd go with a ram mount or at least an alternative anyway. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Issac, yes, I thought about this during my ride to and from Jacksonville last week. I looked at all the 'info' provided by the display and went down the list one by one thinking/asking "do I need to know this". On the return trip, I went exploring and I didn't have a map. This was the first time I really used (and needed) the onboard NAV system and yes I confirmed what we already know... it stinks. I also came to the conclusion that if the Honda NAV system were truely a top notch functioning GPS that it would be positioned just perfectly (for me) right where it is. That's when I started thinking. I don't use a CB, I don't have headphones, no CD, never listen to local radio and as a matter of fact I'd like to remove the 1 antenna I have on the bike... when I want music I just listen to Satellite radio. I do have an iPod but I haven't used it on the bike. Do I need to 'see' what's activated when I can just leave it on and mute it? Presets? I just hit a number until I hear something I like. Trip A/B I can get from my GPS. Temperature I do like knowing just for the heck of it and that can be provided by other means rather simply.
Anyway, after going thru this checklist in my mind I started seeing a clearer picture of a Zumo mounted right there front and center. I'm not saying I will do it... not yet, but it is starting to come into focus.
Well, I guess its a personal thing Donald, but I know I have been rolling along and wondered "Why can't I hear my music" only to look down and see I didn't have Aux turned on or something like that. I know the NAV is lacking in many respects but it will get you from A to B in a pinch. Personally, I would buy a Ram mount and go from there. GPScity.com has tons of them and they ship almost immediately and are super people to deal with. I would just "Add" to my system rather than "Subtract" from my system.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure why covering something I don't use is actually 'subtracting' from the system? I never use the AM/FM radio. If I remove the antenna is that subtracting from the system? If I put it back on to resell the Wing, have I affected the resale? This installation does not have to be any more destructive or permanent than a ram mount so not sure how that affects resale?
I hear you guys and I appreciate the 'gotchas' that might get me in the end but the original questions were Will it fit and Will it work. I don't have the bike here with me and I don't have a GPS to give it a try. I was hoping for a quick answer but ultimately I will have to get some measurements to get the answer on fitment... unless of course someone could say "Well if it were me I wouldn't do it because yada yada yada BUT yes I measured my Zumo I even tried what you're asking and it fits right in the area you're talkin' about" or NOT! :)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Donald: "Subtracting" from the system is simply my assessment. I underscore MY Assessment. You may strip that puppy to your hearts content. Since you live in Florida, you probably don't need the foot warmers either. To answer your original question, " No, I don't know if a Zumo will fit in that space." Since they cost about $700 I couldn't afford to buy one anyway. :)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ahhhh... Ok Issac thank you for the response. Nobody said anything about "stripping that puppy bare" I don't know how you came up with that :confused::confused: didn't mean to upset you with my crazy ideas!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Ahhhh... Ok Issac thank you for the response
No problem Donald. I was just looking at a cheaper way with the ram mount. One of the reasons I need my screen is because sometimes I am riding along and think to myself that the ride is a little rough. Checking the pre-sets, I find that it has gone from soft (2) to my 2-up setting of 14. No rhyme or reason that it does that in between some rides but it does.:)
Isaac
And I wasn't upset but thanks for the comments about that. It shows your a caring person.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hahahaha... Santini you had me laughing out loud on that one! I think IF I did do this and that's a big IF, I would only do it on a longer ride and even then a ride into unfamiliar territory. On top of that it would have to be temporary and/ or removable just because that does make sense to me for all the reasons aforementioned. I have not ruled out the simplest solution either... The Ram mount. I'm just thinking out loud over here!

Yeah Issac we're cool man sometimes I need somebody to keep me from doing somethin'stoopid! :)

NOTE: see the avatar!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Hahahaha... Santini you had me laughing out loud on that one! I think IF I did do this and that's a big IF, I would only do it on a longer ride and even then a ride into unfamiliar territory. On top of that it would have to be temporary and/ or removable just because that does make sense to me for all the reasons aforementioned. I have not ruled out the simplest solution either... The Ram mount. I'm just thinking out loud over here!

Yeah Issac we're cool man sometimes I need somebody to keep me from doing somethin'stoopid! :)

NOTE: see the avatar!
Well, another reason to try this before you purchase a Zumo is that I have 4 Garmin's. All 4 have the Antenna's in the back of the unit. All designed to be sitting upright in use so that the antenna faces out and up through the windshield. Putting the Zumo in the screen indentation would effectively hide the antenna from the satellites. I assume the Zumo is like the Nuvi 200, 220, 760 and 1460LMT for antenna placement. Might work but its something you might want to check.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After the trip to Jax I made up my mind to get a Zumo. First thing I need to get past is the price. I have Wendy's VTX 1300 that needs some attention. I'm afraid if her bike doesn't get attention, I won't either!!! I probably need to spend that $600 on her farkles first and you know how easy that can happen. Anyways, once I do get the Zumo, it'll go where it has to go to work properly which means this idea of mine may just go in the bin with all the other ideas I've had that just didn't work. You bring up a good point and i didn't think of that... it doesn't sound like it would work without the my homemade mount looking very 'unprofessional'. In the end it may be the Ram mount no matter what :)

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Donald: I've noticed that you come up with your best ideas in the wee hours of the morning and likewise come to your senses about the same time frame.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
true! you see the 'early' stuff. the crazy stuff comes to me at 3 or 4 AM... see that avatar? That was a helmet design gone wrong!

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
true! you see the 'early' stuff. the crazy stuff comes to me at 3 or 4 AM... see that avatar? That was a helmet design gone wrong!
I am comforted knowing that while I slumber in a dreamlike coma someone is contemplating redesigning the universe. Makes me look forward to tomorrow morning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts