Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello mistern and welcome to GWOF. not trying to be a smart azz but we don't even know what wing you have

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Garmin GPS is what most people use, there are many different unit and prices, if you want a low price unit that gives you directions than the 200 series will do the job, If you want MP3 function and lane assist and intercom compatible than you might want to check out the 700 series. Go to garmin.com and you can see all the different units and what they do. Unless you get a motorcycle specific unit it will not be waterproof, but just put a baggie over it or take it off when it rains. I have a Garmin 200W and it is an older unit but it does everything I need it to do,. You can also finds some good deals on GPS's on e-bay, a recondition unit comes with a new unit warranty and save you some money.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
There ae many models of very useable GPS units out there. do your homework first and make a list of what you want it to do, and then check the models that do that and go shopping for both availability and price. I'm pretty Garmin biased so I won't offer too much other than the Zumo and Nuvi are very popular.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I bought a referb'd unit on eBay 2 years ago and it has worked fine for me. Not waterproof, but that's what ziplock bags are for. You can spend a lot more, but basic units seem to be best.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mistern...I asked the same question on this forum...and received a lot of great information...after careful consideration...I have decided to take the route of what all bikers look for....

Keep the wind to your back and ride where ever your front tire takes you...leave the GPS at home...:D

It is a lot more fun ending up in places you never have mapped before and talking to the locals....:eek:

...if you don't believe me then go with the Garmen GPS models.....

Safe Ride....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gps

I recently purchased the Garmin Nuvi 500 and have used it several times with good results. Its a portable unit that is waterproof. I have used in the car and on the bike. Cost was $199. Have used the mapping program to put together a route for a three day 1000 mile ride for a group and it was flawless. Used it to identify gas stations, hotels and restaraunts as well. Would definately recomment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mistern,
A few have posted the same GPS question including myself. Garmin seems to be the brand to get based on all the replies/reviews. I currently have a TomTom 730. Screen washes out in the sun when it's on the bike. Works fine in my car/truck. Have not tried putting a hood on it and it's not made for rain etc. Also TomTom support is not the greatest in my experience.
I am leaning towards the Garmin 660 or 665 but MAN are they expensive! Searching the Net for a refurbed one now. Maybe I'll pop for a new one around Xmas if I can't find a refurbed one.
Rob

·
Registered
157 Posts
The nuvi 500 or 550 has received a lot of attention with lots of good praises. If you have the $$$ the zumo is great. It is biker friendly but you said low priced.

I rarely use the gps but when I do it has been a tremendous help.

I have a garmin 2610 that I bought 4 or 5 years ago and it has been great. Upgraded a few months ago to the zumo 660

If you do a search you should find some good deals on the older units. The problem with the older units is garmin discontinues support/maps after some time. My 08 map on the 2610 does me justice.

just a thought

dd

dd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts